Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1.6 automatic on a 64 plate and if it's been running a while the engine starts a slight thudding noise and my bmax seems sluggish also everything on the trip computer that is about fuel has disappeared any ideas anyone? RAC couldn't find any fault

·
Registered
136 Posts
Take it straight in to the dealer. This could be a sensor fault or worse still a computer issue. Either way the only way to diagnose it is to use a proper diagnostic kit that can plug in to the Ford bus and download the error codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi pete86 - any update on your car without fault codes?

I've had a problem with my B-max over the past few weeks (the full details you can find in the technical forum) where the engine was cutting out but not registering any fault codes and also not showing anything on the dashboard lights.

Ford have now replaced a fuel pressure sensor and want to give me the car back but I am still concerned that the control computer is defective.

The question is: how do you recognise that the device responsible for recognising faults is faulty?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The giveaway in this case is that the usual information has disappeared from the trip computer. This seems likely to be the result of a sensor malfunction but as I posted earlier the only way to test is to hook up a diagnostic tool. The 2 week wait mentioned is unreasonable, the diagnostic download only takes minutes. Personally I would turn up at the dealership and make a fuss until they did it.
There is nothing a dealer likes less than an angry customer in the showroom complaining about poor service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sadly we have experienced the same symptoms which have been mentioned above.

Ford really have no idea how to approach the issue, where to start or manage the fault. It's incredibly disappointing.

The main issue is the faults DO NOT store, the only way is for the fault to occur and you drive immediately to ford for them to connect, this actually wont give them the full answer, just a starting point.

Otherwise when you turn off the ignition is loses the fault and will be like normal

Sensors are mentioned above, but even with these being changed/altered the same overall fault will occur and this leaves them struggling to fix.

The B Max itself is a fine vehicle, but the mechanical side of any car should be the paramount after passenger safety.

What the original posted hasn't realised are the other issues which occur when the display goes -----

gearbox grinds
the engine mis-fires (running on 3 cylinder)
fuel economy is destroyed

Also what other mechanical damage could occur?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Soon after I got my 2012 B-MAX I experienced a similar problem. I would
be driving along merrily, sometimes in the outside lane in traffic when
the engine would die. I lost all power and the car slowed dramatically
but was able to steer. The engine sounded 'lumpy' as if one cylinder
was not firing. The engine malfunction warning came on and I coasted off
the road with the warning saying I must have the problem dealt with
immediately.

I turned off the engine whilst deciding a course of
action and 5 minutes later, having phoned the dealer who said drive the
car, it will be ok and we will check it. The car started and ran
normally. This happened maybe two or three times over a short period,
getting to the stage where, I just stopped, waited and drove on.

The dealer could not find a problem. However, it was eventually cured, probably by a software update.

There is a thread somewhere on this forum about the problem.

In France I experienced a total loss of all instrument read-outs, even the speedometer. A Ford dealer there changed a fuse and I was off again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.