Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Haha, ive come across this problem a couple of times now and on both occasions fitting a new pollen filter has cured it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there,
I have just joined this club looking for info. re: the same issue. I have been told that the issue is the 'heater blower motor resistor'. So I went to ford and bought one (50 odd quid!!!!!) was told to look behind the glove box but I cannot see anything that looks like it. Were you able to fix yours and if so any help in locating it would be greatly appreciated. Can anyone else offer some help in uncovering/locating the isolator?
Thanks in anticipation :))

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Did you not try the pollen filter first? Just take it out and see if it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks cianpars,
That does sound strange unless its perhaps an airflow restriction caused by the pollen filter ??!! Haven't opened the resistor packet yet so can always take it back. Will give your idea a go - once storm Brian s*ds off :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update on heater blower resistor:-
It was the resistor in my case, all done and working again on all fan settings.
For information the resistor is NOT behind the glove box as a well-meaning friend suggested. To access remove the side panel (passenger side) to the centre console (one star screw and multiple push clips). Then get your head on the floor looking toward the bulkhead, then look up and 'slightly around the corner' behind the heater controls and you will see a white rectangular piece of plastic with a lead plugged in and also held by one star screw. Remove, replace and re-fix (it helps if you are a contortionist, otherwise it is not the easiest job to do) and use a torch/inspection lamp! Whoever in Ford designed this needs a good slap :))

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thanks David, may be useful info for someone. Whoever designed the B Max needs a slap, full stop. Wait til you have to try to change a light bulb :)Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
2 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->

Thank you ever so much.. this has probably saved me
£100.
Luckily I'm small and fairly
flexible, I managed to manoeuvre myself
with a bike torch and head torch, I located
the "white rectangular piece of plastic with a lead plugged in and also
held by one star screw".
Once
removed the white plastic and resistor, my husband checked the resistance which
showed it burnt out, we searched on e-bay and bought a new one for £20.
Once it arrived it took me (yes me, not my
husband) 5 minutes to fit and put back the side panel.

<!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}

<!-->

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well done Suzie, this seems to be a common problem with the B-Max. Still it's a great multi-use vehicle in my opinion. Since replacing my resistor have had no further problems with it - hopefully you will find the same now!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Blower resistor failure is clearly a problem common to Fords in general.
I had to replace that part on my 07 Focus twice in seven years of ownership, and getting to it, then putting back the panels and things that I had to remove for access resulted not only in sore fingers, but a lot of very choice language.

Well done for sorting it!

Edited by: desthemoaner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Suzie.
Could you tell me, where on eBay you bought the resistor? I can't find one for B-Max. Perhaps you have an item number or part number?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Organstopper...

...for your description of how to replace a B-Max blower resistor. I have some mobility issues so had to do the swap by feel only. Succeeded eventually thanks to you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem.
Was just wondering if [MENTION=2109]Suzie[/MENTION]'s link is correct as it says its for a ford transit??
Many Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
453 Posts
there are at least 2 types of motor 'resistor' components, but they are certainly common to some transits.
what spec aircon do you have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know the resistor spec.?

Thanks to everyone that has contributed.

Does anyone know the resistor specification ie.
Resistance value (in ohms)
Power rating (in watts)
Any other specific characteristics eg. maximum operating temperature, temperature co-efficient, fusable link, wire-wound, ceramic, inductance, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hijack, But a#has anybody had to change the blower motor?
the resistor on the one i have has failed 3 times now in less than 4000 miles so am making an assumption its the motor having a high resistance..
Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, this time last year. Gave in in the end had to get the garage to do it, steering column out, clutch pedal. Nightmare.

·
Registered
2016 Ford B-Max
1 Posts
I had a look (with spine bent backwards) and thought I saw it. Undid the screw but what I pulled out was a load of silver "sticks" on a plug! Think I've put them back properly, was I in the right region, can't seem to find the part in the photos...

Update on heater blower resistor:-
It was the resistor in my case, all done and working again on all fan settings.
For information the resistor is NOT behind the glove box as a well-meaning friend suggested. To access remove the side panel (passenger side) to the centre console (one star screw and multiple push clips). Then get your head on the floor looking toward the bulkhead, then look up and 'slightly around the corner' behind the heater controls and you will see a white rectangular piece of plastic with a lead plugged in and also held by one star screw. Remove, replace and re-fix (it helps if you are a contortionist, otherwise it is not the easiest job to do) and use a torch/inspection lamp! Whoever in Ford designed this needs a good slap :))

1 - 19 of 19 Posts