Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone does anyone know what the factory fitted exhaust are made from on 2013 1.4 petrol ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Like most cars i would say they are made of steel. It's cheaper for the maker and less costly for the buyer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just wondering as I’ve still got the original exhaust on and the car 8 years old and only just starting to corrode on the middle box

·
Registered
210 Posts
That sounds about right.My last car was a 2009 year car and was still on the original exhaust when i got rid of it last year.The garage where i traded it in said ,after the inspection, that it still had the date stamp visible.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi,

I just did a quick search to confirm what I thought and 'afepower.com' has an article which states that most car exhausts nowadays are produced from Aluminised ('z' if American) steel. This has a surface coating of nearly pure Aluminium applied either by Vapour phase deposition or pack aluminising. This greatly enhaces resistance to corrosion at high temperatures, as demonstrated by its use on hot blades in gas turbines. Those of us old enough to remember uncoated Carbon Steel 3-year (or less) exhaust sysytems have reason to give thanks for the innovation.

Geri

Reactions: Wiggy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts