Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My B-Max is a 2014 model, with the 1.6 Diesel engine. I have been really pleased with the car, but I noted after 5000 miles that the oil was low on the dipstick. I could not be sure that it had the correct amount from the start, because I did not check before I took it away, so I topped it up with Fords own oil as recommended.

A thousand miles later and the oil definitely appeared to be going down, so I checked for leaks, none to be seen. I checked in my mirrors as I drove along and again, nothing to be seen.

After a few discussions with the dealer they took it in, by now 10K is on the clock and I have used 4.5L of oil. Ford could find nothing wrong, but decided to do a control test of 1000 miles. This clearly showed to Ford that its not right and they have it again.

The initial fear was that it was a new engine, but Ford believe that they have found a specific problem. A leaking seal in the turbo. What seal exactly I do not know. What this means for the engine, again I do not know. The new turbo is on order and I hope to have the car back soon, I will keep this post updated.

The car has been clocking some great miles per gallon, averaging 60 since I got it from the factory. Power seems fine, its just sipping my oil on a continuous basis.

So, top advice. CHECK YOUR OIL regularly, at least every 1000 miles.

I do have advice for reading the dipstick.

<ul>[*]Make sure the car is on the level
[*]Pull the dipstick and wipe
[*]Push fully back in and pull put
[*]Oil will smear up one side, do not use this as the reading. Read the lowest mark on the opposite side.[/list]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The car has returned and the cause of the excessive oil usage has been put down to a faulty turbo drive bearing. A new turbo installed, I have not noticed any difference in fuel economy or power.

So far 500 miles and the oil usage seems fine. I will keep a close eye on it.

So remember, check the dipstick, even if it is a new car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It is also esential to check the oil often with Diesel engines, because they can increase the level in the sump if the oil is being diluted with Diesel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not over yet. I have had the car back a few weeks now and completed just over 2000 miles and guess what? Yep, still using oil. So back into Lifestyle Ford yesterday, who, to their credit are doing what they can to isolate the fault.

Now it seems it could be a manifold valve, don't quote me on that. Its right on the top of the engine, on the right side and provides air, under pressure from the top of the engine to the turbo.

Part is on order, now waiting for a time to fit it.

So... this issue continues. Its worrying to say the least, but what can you do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... Car went back to get a the rocker cover replaced, which has the suspect pressure valve installed.

We are once again into a 1000KM test, where we hope that this is finally fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1K test is almost over and sadly I must report that the oil usage is still excessive.

I feel drained by this issue. I have never been in a garage as much as I have with this car and I owned an Austin Allegro!

Monday I will take the car back to get the oil level confirmed and I have asked that the issue be raised at the highest levels with a definitive plan to resolve. As the customer I want what I paid for, which should be a reliable, economical and comfortable vehicle and quite clearly this car has failed on the first requirement. The resolution is severe, a new engine and the impact to the car in respect to resale value is not acceptable to me. So a full replacement, with the costs covered by Ford is what I would expect.

I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car continues to burn oil and I am now writing to Ford UK and getting supplier to drive this problem a bit harder.

The resolution being sought is a new power unit, or engine to those of us who are not F1 engineers. This resolution worries me. Mainly the fact that my new car will not have the factory fitted engine, this affects the paperwork and I have been advised could impact the resale value. Any thoughts on this?

I still maintain that the car sold was not of merchantable quality and that a full replacement is the only way forward...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Mad B-Max said:
1K test is almost over and sadly I must report that the oil usage is still excessive.

I feel drained by this issue. I have never been in a garage as much as I have with this car and I owned an Austin Allegro!

Monday I will take the car back to get the oil level confirmed and I have asked that the issue be raised at the highest levels with a definitive plan to resolve. As the customer I want what I paid for, which should be a reliable, economical and comfortable vehicle and quite clearly this car has failed on the first requirement. The resolution is severe, a new engine and the impact to the car in respect to resale value is not acceptable to me. So a full replacement, with the costs covered by Ford is what I would expect.

I will keep you informed.
If the car is using exessive oil it must either be dripping out somewhere, being thrown out of the head gasket or burned. The two former should be obvious and I'm sure not the case, however, if it is burning then that will affect the exhaust?

Would it help take it into F1 and get a read-out for the exhaust which may show the vehicle is illegal and does not conform to the trade description? The vehicle is taxed according to the exhaust isn't it? Would it pass an MOT based on it's supposed spec?

Will the excessive oil be affecting the cat? They are expensive to replace.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
136 Posts
Burning oil can indeed affect the catalytic converter and it definitely shouldn't be using anything like the oil being reported. My 16.tdi has never used appreciable amounts of oil between services. It sounds like they have done the obvious things like checking the PCV valve so I'd be thinking about more serious internal faults. At the minimum a proper oil pressure and compression check on all cylinders needs to be done. At best its a major seal at worst a bad bearing. Either would require an engine tear down.
If it was my motor I'd be insisting on at least anew engine by now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, car has been with Ford now for just over a week. A hire car has been provided and at the most recent update I was told that a new power plant is on its way from Ford.

The cause, a defect in cylinder 4, the exact nature not supplied, but this has given Ford the drive to replace the power plant.

So after 16.5K a new engine is going in.

Once I know more I will advise.

Kevin

·
Registered
136 Posts
As I suspected it sounds like either a scored bore or bad piston rings. Both are herder to check on a diesel as with a petrol engine you can remove a spark plug and screw the pressure tester in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts