Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I received my first warning light today at 1,200 miles on the clock. I got an amber spanner icon that appeared within the rev counter, and on the SYNC display it said " ENGINE MALFUNCTION - Have the system checked as soon as possible by an authorised dealer "

<div style="text-align: center;">

I then turned the engine off, waited 5 minutes, and turned it on again and the messages and icons had cleared. I do not believe for a second that the message has cleared and will be poking my ford dealer later today about it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so I call Allen Ford Service department, they hang up on me. I call them again , they hang up on me again, call them a third time... yay... someone answers. I request a time to bring the car to them. After alot of umm'ing and Arr'ing... the service man says " I guess tomorrow I could slot you in, but I cant give you a replacement car ". Being disabled, I then ask could the car be collected and brought back when fixed.... " Ummmm.... no as we do not have a spare car as I just said "...

Sigh....

So I booked it for tomorrow with the hope that a family member would bring me back and also take me back to them to collect it at the end of the day.... 12 minutes later Allen Ford calls back and says "Have you contacted RAC?" (the cover they provide for motability customers).. "They need to look at the car first, and if they cannot fix it then book it in with us" I was unaware of this, as all I had done, was what the car asked me to do " Contact your Dealer" This was on the screen of the car.

So I said fair enough, I will call RAC now and get them out here, however I will KEEP my appointment with you for the next 2 hours, as I do not want RAC to say "sorry we cannot fix that", then I call you (ALLEN FORD) back and get told, "sorry, your booked slot has now been taken"...

"Sorry sir we cannot do that"

Sigh....

I love Allen Ford.... I am feeling the love. So as it stands now, RAC will be here within the next 20 minutes (time of this post).... will see what happens...

Highly exciting...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div style="text-align: center;">RAC are here now...

<div style="text-align: center;">They have plugged their diagnostic laptop into the car and its come back as :

<div style="text-align: center;">EPROM Failure

<div style="text-align: center;">So this is something that MR RAC man cannot deal with, a memory chip inside the car "
Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory - E.P.R.O.M" has failed. So back we go to ALLEN FORD.... yay....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The error code we got from the car was :
P062F

This relates to : "ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) INTERNAL CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION"

meaning that :

<ul style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; : rgb244, 244, 244;">[*]The built-in car diagnostic data in the EEPROM internal conflicts.[*]Reading the data from the EEPROM is abnormal.[*]Writing the data from the EEPROM is abnormal.[*]When the message of the EEPROM is judged as wrong, the predetermined alternative value is output[/list](source site :http://www.micro-tronik.com/faultcodes/obdiifaultcode_p062f.html

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I note from your link:

This fault code is a GERENRIC fault code, some cars may change the meaning of this fault code.

Did your service agent say there was and engine fault or that the software was at fault?

I had a similar malfunction warning and the agents said not fault was recorded. They put it down to what their receptionist called a 'blip'.

blip = A temporary or insignificant phenomenon, especially a brief departure from the normal

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The RAC seem to think its software... it's going back to the dealer tomorrow... I do not believe they will even check for a fault... they will just clear it.

I am even betting that the warning light comes back on on the journey home (after repair)

We'll see..

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had a similar malfunction warning and the agents said not fault was recorded. They put it down to what their receptionist called a 'blip'.

blip = A temporary or insignificant phenomenon, especially a brief departure from the normal

Hi Makem,

How does a Ford Dealer put faith into a receptionist
Surely, a Technician should be the one to contact you as the customer, and discuss the problem. I think that's a damn cheek to let a receptionist tell you what was found out - if anything

What would the Dealer have done if you insisted to speak to the Service Manager, or even a Director re: A shoddy service

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi d_z. If you have been reading my posts you would have noticed that I have been having the same problem now for five months. It has happened nine times. It has been in the garage five times, the last time they said they had a software update, but they then noticed it was for a fiesta and not a bmax. They don't have a software update at present but are doing there best to get one wowee! . If it happens to me again they will be getting it back ,as I feel the car is unsafe to drive as it could happen at any minute leaving you with reduced power and maybe no power steering . This is only the way I feel because it has happened so much.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Robertdownie said:
Hi d_z. If you have been reading my posts you would have noticed that I have been having the same problem now for five months. It has happened nine times. It has been in the garage five times, the last time they said they had a software update, but they then noticed it was for a fiesta and not a bmax. They don't have a software update at present but are doing there best to get one wowee! . If it happens to me again they will be getting it back ,as I feel the car is unsafe to drive as it could happen at any minute leaving you with reduced power and maybe no power steering . This is only the way I feel because it has happened so much.
The reduced power is frightening isn't when you are in a fast last on a busy road?

That happened to me when I had the 'blip'

I tried to get Ford to do something about the windscreen wipers without success. I wonder If you think it is worthwhile following the route I did in respect of this engine problem? There was a government sponsored company who chase Ford on our behalf, I forget the name but it is in the wipers thread. If you do take it up, they ask you for your idea of a solution, which in out case could be a refund/alternative vehicle. If you do decide to take it up, I for one would add my twopenneth.

Btw. I did get to see a technician and all he could say was that no fault was recorded.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi makem. My garage have been very good. They have said an update can take quite a while because it has to go through different procedures . That's fine, but it doesn't help me. I'm getting a bit warey of taking the car on the motorway . As for the wipers they have moved them one notch , it helps slightly but it's not great as it does not go right back to the park position. Ford know about the problem but there is nothing they can do for us but they can alter the design on any new cars being built. They would have to fit another motor on ours with a bigger sweep and a different wiper with a different angle. All In all it's not good news for us.
Robert Downie.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Received a phone call from ford this morning to say the update for the malfunction notice coming on has arrived. I Asked them if it was the right one this time and they said it was. Now waiting for the technician coming back from his holidays. Motability must have been on to them again.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Robertdownie said:
Received a phone call from ford this morning to say the update for the malfunction notice coming on has arrived. I Asked them if it was the right one this time and they said it was. Now waiting for the technician coming back from his holidays. Motability must have been on to them again.
Hi Robert, do you know if this update has a specific name or date?

I would like to go to my dealer and tell them I want xxxxxxx update to cure my 'blip'/engine malfunction rather than just tell them I have heard there is one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi makem. I've been onto the garage about it , they say they will have to try it out on a vehicle the same as mine before they do mine, if that makes any sense. You would think they would have to get a vehicle with the same problem as mine . Anyway , they don't know what the update is called so I will have to wait until the tecnician comes back from holiday. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Robertdownie said:
So they have to try it on a new car like mine that has a similar fault to see if it work. How do they know if the new car has these faults. This could take ages.
Lol no!

They install the software on any B-MAX and if the car is still ok on a test run they will uncross their fingers.

They will call you in and install it on yours. They will then cross their fingers again and hope you don't have another engine management problem!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, but the red flag to me is the fact that they could not tell you the name as Makem said. All computer software patches, updates, are called ..........something, as like you say, how do they know they are giving the right medicine to the right ailment.

Usually it will be something with the date in , or a version number. If they have told you its available then surely ANYONE in the dealership should be able to help you with it. The fact that one man goes on holiday and then noone else can help you?.... does that seem right to you?

Sounds to me like a placebo... tell the customer that there is a cure, bring the car in, reset all the fault codes again, with no update patched into the car, and then give it back to the customer. When it fails again, Ford will just say "our update didnt fix it as we thought", and around and around the process goes again. they have to look like they are doing something by bringing the car in periodically.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have now got my car back. Allen Ford said that there was a circuit board failure, which had been replaced under warranty. Ford didn't want to give me a full report of what was done, however I have spoken to Motability, and THEY will be requesting a report on the failure, and I cheekily asked them to send me a copy when they get it, to which they said they will.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The malfunction notice came on today as I was going to Stirling , so I took it straight to the garage to show them. I kept the car runningAnd went into the service area and got someone to come out and see it just in case they did not believe me. That's ten times now. Still waiting for the tecnician to come back from his holidays.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts