Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

When i drive my car after being parked up overnight, after around 10 minutes of driving when the car is at idle you can hear a tapping noise inside the car coming from the engine compartment. I know the b max engines are quite noisy but this is annoyingly noisy. Once the car has warmed up properly then it ceases to make the tapping noise. any ideas guys?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi Ahmedz, the reason I asked which engine is because ford diesels have a reputation for injector seals blowing which sounds just like a tapping noise, I have not heard of petrol injector seals blowing although I suppose it is possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Ahmedz
I have a 13 plate 1.0l Ecoboost 100 and I have the same tapping sound, although I think mine is more pronounced when the engine is cold.

Definitely not engine oil level related, as I regularly check mine.

I've just put it down to a quirk with the engine, as a service does not seem to cure.

I've not noticed any performance or fuel economy issues that may be caused by injector seals.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Wayner73 said:
Hi Ahmedz
I have a 13 plate 1.0l Ecoboost 100 and I have the same tapping sound, although I think mine is more pronounced when the engine is cold.

Definitely not engine oil level related, as I regularly check mine.

I've just put it down to a quirk with the engine, as a service does not seem to cure.

I've not noticed any performance or fuel economy issues that may be caused by injector seals.
How do the mechanics explain it?

From the 'old' days tapping was from the tappets which needed the gap reducing - not part of a normal service if within range I suppose as it is not a quick job. Have you tried complaining?

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
57 Posts
ahmedz said:
13 plate 1.0 eco boost 118bhp
Mine does the same, it,s not all the time though. I had a Ford mechanic listen to it he said he had not heard it in any B-Max,s before,it bugs me when it does it but it is only for a minute or two then it stops. I will monitor it and if it gets worse it can go back to the garage and I can now say mine is not the only one doing it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
carl said:
ahmedz said:
13 plate 1.0 eco boost 118bhp
Mine does the same, it,s not all the time though. I had a Ford mechanic listen to it he said he had not heard it in any B-Max,s before,it bugs me when it does it but it is only for a minute or two then it stops. I will monitor it and if it gets worse it can go back to the garage and I can now say mine is not the only one doing it.
Could be the valve rods getting longer when heated so closing the gap to the correct gap?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Makem,
Could be mate but I,m not great with engines, will be keeping a close eye or should I say ear on it if the noise gets worse or does it on a regular basis I,m taking it to Ford to look at.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The 1 litre ecoboost engine doesn't have valve rods. As I understand it the engine has hydraulic tappets. These work by using engine oil pressure to adjust the gap between the cam and valve while the engine warms up to allow for expansion. Rattling for the first minute or two is quite common and as long as it goes away I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Keith
Many thanks for your informative and slightly reassuring response (slightly, insofar as I'm hopeful that my tapping noise clears within a couple of minutes).

I will monitor the engine noise.

Best regards

Wayne

Edited by: Wayner73

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks Keith, mine has not done it for a few days now but last time it made the tapping noise was after I had been driving for an hour or so, was parking ( static ) and the tapping started ? Very strange,will monitor it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts