Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi one and all from a Newby. I got my brand spanking new Bmax Titanium in December 2012. All seemed to go well as I sat at the controls of "The Starship Enterprise" and I looked forward to my continued mobility in a car perfectly suited to my needs as a disabled person. It didn't last. Once the cold weather came, we ran into problems with the Engine Management System. Essentially, what was happening was that when we started the beast up and put the demist on, all would bw fine until we pulled away from the drive. As soon as the gear was put into drive, the Engine Warning light came on and then the demist was turned off by the 'system'. We have had the car back at our dealers 5 times since purchase and they have still been unable to fix the problem. Anyonw wlse hit this issue? How was it resolved or are you, like me, waiting for Ford Technical creating a fix and downloading this to your dealer?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi hobnob. I've had trouble with the powertrain warning light coming on. Have been in garage 3 times , waiting for software update on that. Wipers are a problem when it snows. Indicators won't cancel sometimes. I think we all have some problems one way or another. At least we only have the car for three years through motability .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Davis & Robert,
It pays to go to the top!

Given that I had my circuit problems since purchase and the car has now been in 5 times, I got fed up and contacted Motability Operations. I received a call from them saying my problem with Ford would be handled by a Manager in Motability Technical Solutions. I got a call from a case manager who contacted Ford Technical in UK & Germany as well as Ford Fleet. Given the amount of business Ford gets from Motability, they responded to my Case Handler 'tout d'suit' and forthwith. There is a fix to our Engine Management software which will be released on May 1st. Once I get confirmation from my dealer's Service dept that they have the latest universal download, my car will be booked in to have the diagnostic machine downloaded and the software updated. Hopefully, my problems will be solved. I hope your dealers get in touch with you after May 1st to get your vehicles dealt with.

I'm also looking to get a cash refund on part of my vehicle deposit as the car was NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE as set out in the Sale of Goods Act. Not holding my breath but it has to be worth a try.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE

The May 1st Systems Update from Ford Technical was downloaded to all dealers and my car had its EMS updated with the 'fix' to the problem. All was downloaded and the car was returned (fully valeted) on 8th May. Unfortunately, we won't really know if the 'fix' was successful until we hit the next batch of frosty mornings! Got to say that the car is still, in my opinion, the best car I've ever had (well perhaps so if I discount my 1st car - a Riley Kestrel).

Hope everyone who has experienced similar problems gets the software 'fix' to remedy their issues.

Happy driving.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good news hobnob. Havnt got my update yet, they say it will end of May. Maybe I should contact motability also to see if I can get it quicker. Anyway happy motoring.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Robertdownie said:
Hi hobnob. I've had trouble with the powertrain warning light coming on. Have been in garage 3 times , waiting for software update on that. Wipers are a problem when it snows. Indicators won't cancel sometimes. I think we all have some problems one way or another. At least we only have the car for three years through motability .
Robert, you mention wipers are a problem when it snows. Do you think the software update has a fix for this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
No there is no fix for the wipers. They would have to alter the design of the wipers for that . They could move the wiper blades over one notch but its only a slight improvement . I've had mine moved but I think I'll ask them to put them back to where they were as it stops the wipers going back to the park position.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What an idiot!!

Well, the May download 'may?' have fixed my original problem. But, I spoke too soon. Now getting Power-Train warning and BMAX is back in the garage. They don't know if this is a real or a perceived software problem and even if they can get this sorted, there is no guarantee that the fix will be permanent! Although I love the looks and the driving style of the BMAX, it looks like it's time to get rid of this problematic car and come back in a couple of years when all the bugs and glitches are sorted out. I think I shall swap the BMAX for the Focus Estate (I've had 2 of them in the past and they caused me no trouble at all. I like the look of the new Titanium Focus Estate (not as much as I like the look of the BMAX). Sorry to have a tale of woe when I thought all was well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry to hear the problems you have been experiencing there Hobnob, can I ask what your driving characteristics have been since owning the car? is it used for commuting? how many miles have you done since taking delivery?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been told that there is no date yet set for a fix to the EEPROM bug which is said to be causing the Powertrain warning light to come on. It could be a 'non-existent' fault caused by a software bug or it could be a failure in the transmission. When a dealer tells you that the light/warning coming on is only a glitch that means nothing and the manual telling you to get the car into the accredited repairshop immediately, what do we do? Do we risk ignoring the warning then get minced when the transmission or steering fails when doing 70 on the M25? Who pays the insurance bill for the carnage that could be caused?

I know life is difficult in these harsh economic times for us customers and for the companies who supply our goods. It can't be right that companies are so keen to clinch a deal that they effectively ignore problems with the goods they supply. Ifany company fails to respond to the difficulties customers are having and could potentially be posing a risk to life and limb then that company will not have my business (and my money). Motability has leased me a Kia ceed 1.6crdi which is a beautifullly crafted vehicle. It gives a very smooth and comfortable ride which is quiet and has lots of toys added to it. Motability will re-start my current lease and will let me choose another car. So, sadly, it will be farewell to my BMAX, farewell to FORD and hello to something new. Let's hope I make the right choice this time and let my head rule over my heart for once.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry to hear that hobnob. My powertrain warning light has came on again three times in the last two days. That's about eight times in the five months I've had the car. I think I will be getting in touch with motability tommorow as well. We're they easy to deal with about the problems you were having or did you have to be really strict with them. Glad you are getting things sorted. Hope you will stay on this forum, it would be nice to see what other car you pick.
Robert.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Robertdownie said:
Sorry to hear that hobnob. My powertrain warning light has came on again three times in the last two days. That's about eight times in the five months I've had the car. I think I will be getting in touch with motability tommorow as well. We're they easy to deal with about the problems you were having or did you have to be really strict with them. Glad you are getting things sorted. Hope you will stay on this forum, it would be nice to see what other car you pick.
Robert.
Hi Robert,
Motability have beem fantastic throughout. They appointed someone in their Technical Solutions dept and he has been my sole contact. He liaised with my Ford dealer, confirmed there was no fix in sight for this issue. He then organised delivery of a suitable hire care and let us get on with looking for an appropriate new car. I simply can't fault Motability but I certainly can pick fault with Ford and my local dealership. Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts