Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm look for all or any advise/previous experience here...
So I have a 62 plate B-Max, 1.6 TDCi and towards the end of last year (2016) my engine malfunction light illuminated on the dash, swiftly followed by a loss of power as it put itself into Limp mode. After restarting the engine the light disappear, albeit not for long. The next time I was to reach 60/70 mph the light would again come on.

Anyway, after 4/5 times of this coming on, the engine management light appeared, which of course doesn't just disappear with a restart. DTS codes from the diagnostics tool are:
<ul>[*]P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost[*]P2599 -Turbocharger Boost Control Position[/list]I had the car serviced since these codes have been appearing so I'm inclined to rule out anything to do with split pipes (after looking myself also) and the air filter.

As mentioned above the issue only occurs when accelerating up to the 60/70 mph mark, and even before Limp mode kicks in I can feel a lack of power from the car.

My friend, who would usually work on the car for me simply doesn't have the time and I can see this being a costly job at the local garage. Any suggestions before I take it in? Ideas I've discussed with my friend so far:
<ul>[*]Most likely faulty/clogged up actuator (wastegate)[*]Boosting sensor (although not exactly sure what sensor I'd be looking at)[*]Turbo replacement (most dreaded!)[/list]What are your thoughts? Any experiences or videos would be appreciated!
Let me know if you need any further info from me of course.

Ben

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Ben , I have seen this fault before on this forum. Take a look at Redfive,s post ( Engine Fault )on page 4 on the technical section , it,s the 17th post down ( 27th May 2016 ) Hope this helps you mate.

Edited by: carl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Carl, Thanks for pointing out this post! Had a look but unfortunately I don't think our resolutions are going to be the same

I had another look, despite the service, my friend and me having checked it visually more than once, and I can't seem to see any loose pipes/hoses. nor can I see any loose clips.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Ben

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi carl and Ben, i have had no further problems with lack of power from my B-Max since dealer found cause as described in my post, so obviously fault was as described to me by the technition at the time. Hope you get it sorted Ben.

·
Registered
57 Posts
BenWalters said:
Hi Carl, Thanks for pointing out this post! Had a look but unfortunately I don't think our resolutions are going to be the same

I had another look, despite the service, my friend and me having checked it visually more than once, and I can't seem to see any loose pipes/hoses. nor can I see any loose clips.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Ben
Hi Ben sorry that's not the same fault hope you get to the bottom of it mate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
redfive said:
Hi carl and Ben, i have had no further problems with lack of power from my B-Max since dealer found cause as described in my post, so obviously fault was as described to me by the technition at the time. Hope you get it sorted Ben.
Hi Redfive glad your problem was sorted mate.
Edited by: carl

·
Registered
136 Posts
IRC the turbocharger has variable geometry vanes, It may be the actuator that's failed. Alternatively the vanes have been know to stick especially if the vehicle is predominantly used on short at low speed. My mechanic recommended finding a clear section of road and flooring the pedal occasionally to prevent this. A number of users have reported good results using a good cleaning additive such asAR6400-D MAX. For about £20 its worth a try and gets good reviews on Amazon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Keith,

I usually drive fairly long distance (30+ miles per trip, mainly on motorways) as opposed to short trips.
I've put two servings of this -http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/wynns-xtreme-diesel-system-cleaner-325ml
However, I have heard that maybe the stuff you can get in retail stores isn't all that great? Do you think it's still worth trying theAR6400-D MAX?

On the B-Max is it possible just to replace the actuator without the turbo? Is the actuator something that can be cleaned or refurbished? Any videos or walk-throughs on how this is done?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I tried out theAR6400-D MAX to no avail.

Spoke to Ford, they want £85 to do the diagnostic (apparentlytheir software will give more than the generic codes). Hesitant to take this route as I can see it being extremely expensive...

Any suggestions guys/girls?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the same problem I am currently having. Did you ever get this resolved? I believe my car is still under warranty so going to have it looked at under this. My mechanic believes it could be the vanes or junk elsewhere in the enginge/turbo. Though my car hasn't done this in a few days I'm hoping it's cleared it did do it for a few days when I first got the car 2 years ago then disappeared. It first started a few months back about a week after a service I went to asda filled up with diesel then it happened a few minutes later. Following day when I was driving a long journey (100 miles) and then almost everyday in the car until a few days ago. I have bought something similar to redex for my dpf filter and going to use that and then take my car for a drive so that activates if it happens again. Apparently because I tend to use my car about the city it could be crap in the DPF that isn't clearing so if this isn't successful he's going to try clearing that out (if I don't get it looked at under the warranty) he doesn't want to mess with the turbo incase he brakes that. Edited by: Shamish

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Shamish,

As it is under warranty I'd certainly say take it to Ford. Most likely the cause is Sticky Vanes or a Split Pipe, from my research that seemed to be the most common causes anyway!

As for my car... I took it to a local garage who said that it had multiple faults, one was the waste gate value and the other was an ECU update.
Anyway, they went ahead and replaced the waste gate with absolutely zero success!

They spoke directly to Ford who believe it is a 'known issue' with the ECU, they had the same problem with a Fiesta just a week before.

I haven't actually booked it into Ford yet, I keep meaning to!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Not sure about this, but it seems that your dealer may have a handle on it.

Reading this thread, the paticulate filter springs to mind.

Let us know how it is resolved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost 13 reg, 51k miles.

Problem - engine malfunction light on with increasingly poor starting (car had been perfect) and tick over irregular and loud.Taken to local garage - diagnostics yielded nothing useful, referred to Ford Dealer.
Ford Dealer - diagnostics fault on cylinder 2 (replace spark plugs). Spark plugs replaced. Result? 'fault on cylinder 1' and starting worse.
Didn't charge to be fair, but keen to refer to Ford HQ for further diagnostics advice and take the car back in - £££.
Contacted favourite local garage - Ford have far better diagnostics than us....can't help.
Next stop (say Ford) replace Coil (doubt this'll fix it) then....
Just hoping to avoid / short circuit the money trail - family illness means a reliable car is a 'must'

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update for you all then!Took it into Ford who first replaced the actuator, this didn't fully solve the problem... They then replaced the solenoid for the turbo and all solved. All in all about £280.
Just glad it's finally solved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.