Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our B-Max 1.0 Titanium is 3 months out of warranty, with 25,000 miles and it's like a time bomb. I have just had it towed away for the second time in less than a month to the dealer to sort out this problem. Basically it comes up with "Engine malfunction, service soon" and generally the engine and the exclamation dummy lights on the dash, but also sometimes the oil light and each time the car runs like it's on 2 cylinders.Last time Ford replaced the throttle position sensor or something to that effect, for £200. This time, who knows what? But my wife is 31 weeks pregnant and this was supposed to be the reliable mummy car. She now wants to get rid of the car, meanwhile my 18 year old BMW just keeps going and going. I have read about many others across the Ford range who have had similar issues, and it seems the only way to solve it is by trading the car in, or burning it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you have had the vehicle from new and it has been serviced by the main dealer I would definitely write a (polite) letter to Ford UK and ask them to intervene. I have done this with other makes and they have stumped up at least the cost of the parts.

If the car has not been Ford dealer serviced then they unfortunately have an out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had it from new, but it has a full Ford history. The other really frustrating part is that last time we took it in, it was over a week before they could even look at it (plug it in to their computer) and when they diagnosed it as a "throttle body" the parts weren't in stock. They are nearly impossible to get ahold of and it takes ages to even get a response from them.

Call me old fashioned but I guess I'm just used to companies with proper support and customer service.

I'm posting on here mainly to whinge, but also to find a solution before Ford has me replace an entire engine or something daft. It's a shame, we really liked the car but unfortunately it has let us down and we just can't rely on it. Must have been a late Friday afternoon built model or maybe it was struck by lightning We also have had spurious seatbelt and reverse sensor warnings.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your problems sound more like the dealer than Ford themselves. My car dealer has always managed to get me in quickly if I had a real problem, I have had none with this car but when I realized my MOT was about to expire they managed to get me in for an MOT and service at very short notice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Contiuing saga of Eco boost 1.0 - regularly serviced, great performance until 52k then engine malfunction light, starting only on 2nd or 3rd crank. Starting now a little better, but definitely less power (need to change down earlier compared with previous) tick over still irregular at lights etc.Ford dealer unable to diagnose but tried spark plug change (no effect) and further diagnosis (no suggestion). Next - Ca £700 test of valves with no guarantee of effectiveness. Declined. Have even tried running it on the (very expensive) 97 octane stuff. Ran quite smoothly, but no change to the problem. Apparently not the DEGAS hose ( according to Ford garage). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Apicius said:
Contiuing saga of Eco boost 1.0 - regularly serviced, great performance until 52k then engine malfunction light, starting only on 2nd or 3rd crank. Starting now a little better, but definitely less power (need to change down earlier compared with previous) tick over still irregular at lights etc
I would guess for sluggish starting, the battery failing, also since its 'summer', that could explain the symptoms easing off

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Poor starting and lumpiness on a 50k plus ecoboost sounds like clogging up of the back of the inlet valves to me. Ford have no procedure to decoke these but it is possible to do.

The cause is due to the way that direct injection directs fuel directly into the engine rather than through the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If this is the "Engine Malfunction Service Now - OK" warning, comes with the orange spanner, then general opinion is that it's fuel. I had it; car goes into slower safe mode then stops after a while and won't restart. Opinion on the net varied between clogged fuel filter to a turbo valve. The RAC man's little laptop said "fuel pressure" (after 5 minutes) which was confirmed at the ford dealer (after 2 hours on their laptop which included flattening my battery!). The in-tank fuel pump had packed up and because it was 6 months out of warranty cost £390. Mine is the petrol turbo version and perceived wisdom appears to be that it is also more sensitive to fuel quality and dirt. It may be coincidence but I filled it a couple of days before with non BP Ultimate (i.e. ordinary unleaded) for the first time ever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for this. It isn't the spanner, but the engine block sign. Stuck. Investigation work £700+ with no guarantee of success. It's still running - just about starting then sounding like a lawnmower, and having to change down frequently.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have not heard that one Hashbrown the fuel grade thing i mean. I just top my 1.0 ecoboost up with any unleaded that's available at the time it needs filling. Are you saying a higher octane is recommended? Interesting!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you use super unleaded Willow, you may get a litrle more powee and slightly higher MPG. It is also a cleaner fuel.

A few swear by it, but most of us think it is a waste of money.

Try it if you want, but I doubt you will notice any different except that your purse may feel a bit lighter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
upton-m, I really sympathise, perhaps there is a sensor on the accelerator?
Without a proper workshop manual we're all stumped. I'm currently servicing the brakes but can't get any info on slackening off the rear drum auto adjusters - can't even get the ****ing drums off! I'm hoping to do an oil & filter change, air filter & plugs, but not optomistic.
I've been repairing my own cars since age 18 (now 68). These kind of repairs I would do without even thinking about, but with this thing it's a nightmare.
Between the water leaks, petrol smells and the complete absence of a workshop manual 'er indoors and I have decided to get rid of it before anything really goes wrong.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our B-Max 1.0 Titanium is 3 months out of warranty, with 25,000 miles and it's like a time bomb. I have just had it towed away for the second time in less than a month to the dealer to sort out this problem. Basically it comes up with "Engine malfunction, service soon" and generally the engine and the exclamation dummy lights on the dash, but also sometimes the oil light and each time the car runs like it's on 2 cylinders.Last time Ford replaced the throttle position sensor or something to that effect, for £200. This time, who knows what? But my wife is 31 weeks pregnant and this was supposed to be the reliable mummy car. She now wants to get rid of the car, meanwhile my 18 year old BMW just keeps going and going. I have read about many others across the Ford range who have had similar issues, and it seems the only way to solve it is by trading the car in, or burning it.
[/QUOTE

I have had similar problems. Once on a dual carriageway where the car just slowed down with no warning and the same happened a second time, both times I had grandchildren in the car. I made a fuss the second time when the car was out of warrantly and they fixed it without charge, this was about three years ago having bought the car from new in 2013. The same thing has just happened again! I am torn as I love the car and the great seating and door system but I cannot guarantee that this will not happen again. The AA who attended yesterday said that it was a 'known fault' well I wish someone had told me what it was and sorted it out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.