Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse my lack of engine knowledge, I have the 1.5 diesel B Max, could someone please tell me if it's normal for the engine fan to continue to run (very loudly) after the engine has been turned off? It runs for approx 2/3 minutes, and there is also a burning smell. I parked it up the other day and a lady came after me to say the car was still running. I mentioned this to the garage when it went in for it's check a few weeks after I got it, but they couldn't find anything. It's just so loud!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The fan may run after engine is switched off.
It may even be off and start running of it's own accord.

A sensor controls it.

I get it on my motorbike occasionally but not in this weather.

As to the noise level, I am not sure, I do not notice mine (1.0 petrol) but maybe with engine off, it sounds loud.

I have never had a diesel but believe that some of the more modern engines run at a higher temperature on short journeys to burn off particulates? This of course reduces mpg.

just my 2p worth.

I would just monitor the situation and see if a particular journey type causes it.

SMcG in cold Glasgow

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have not experienced this on my 1.6 diesel; but of course this is something which could be more associated with summer weather. I seem to remember it being an issue with previous cars I have owned, but the running time was seconds rather than minutes.
It could be a drain on the battery of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for your replies. It does tend to do it in mild weather on short journeys, but it did it once on a longer journey. It's the loudness which worries me, I can park it on the drive, go indoors and I can hear it running through the double glazing. I've booked it in with the dealer, so hopefully, they can check it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had the same issue on Friday after returning from work (not a long journey - < 20 miles).

Fan continued to run for over 4 mins onve the car had stopped. Burning smell from engine bay. Eventually went off, but never heard such a loud fan (much much noisier than the engine).

Anyway car is in today (already booked in) fora host of issues, with this added to the list.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If possible you should change your dealer with a better customer care record

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please let me know what the dealer has to say about the fan, my car is not booked in with the dealer for a couple of weeks. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
No fault found - and no surprise there.

Next time will be taking phone evidence in with any issues.

Think the car I got was built on a Friday afternoon based on the number of faults. At least they've fixed the windscreen trim back on and the gearstick surround, but all other issues still there...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had the same thing happen 2x.
Will try to ask at Ford today if this is supposed to happen or not.

(1.6 Diesel TDCi)

Edited by: myicq

1 - 9 of 9 Posts