Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a b-max since January and we have noticed that the engine fan kicks in even after short journeys. Its very noisy and sometimes smells "hot". Phoned the garage and they said it was normal. Never encountered this and as i dont know much about cars i am now worried to drive in case its something serious. The car is a 1.6 diesel ecoboost. Am i worrying about nothing or is the car going to burst into flames along a deserted highlands country road!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi and welcome,

I do not have the theoretical knowledge, but the B-Max (along with many modern cars) has a small amount of coolant compared to the old days. I assume that is to allow them to heat up to full running temperature as fast as possible. If that is the case, then it seems reasonable that the fan would kick in earlier than drivers expect.

The burning smell happened to me early on, but as things bedded in after a few thousand miles it tended to stop.

Don't, however, let that stop you getting it really hot and stopping off at your local dealership to give thm a smell.

good lick,

Geri

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! Day one of owning a Bmax and driving 15 miles on a dual carriageway home from the garage no fan cut in but after a quick half mile school run it cut in and stayed on for about a minute after the engine stopped. Am a bit paranoid as a previous car of mine (Vauxhall Zafira) had a problem with the water pump and the engine over heated which then melted the cam belt resulting in a completely destroyed engine!! Is there not a temp gauge on the Bmax or haven't I found it yet?

·
Registered
52 Posts
1.6 Diesel ecoboost. Do the same trip every working day. The fan comes on on mine perhaps once in every 20 journeys, for no apparent reason. And no there isn't a temperature gauge.
Not too concerned as other than that I have had the car for a year and done 18000 miles and no issues of any sort....

·
Registered
315 Posts
The fan comes on if the engine is regenerating, burning off the soot in the Diesel Particulate Filter, it also will be on all the time if the air/con is on.

Edited by: jackkook

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine does that. Especially if it's been sitting and it's over 27C. I thought it was cutting in soon but the gauge says normal temp. 1.0 ecoboost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you. Actually thinking about it, the air con was on that day. Since I've turned it off, the fan hasn't cut in! Mind now put at ease! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts