Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today when I went into my garage and shut down the engine, a peculiar noise coming from under the hood. It turns out to be the electic cooling pump (I saw fluid circulating through the expansion tank).
It was running cca 3 to 4 minutes before it stopped. It was a bit suprising since outside temperature is still pretty cold, around 8 deg. Celsius. I do live on the hill, but it is not very high, about 50 m above the city, and I didn't notice this before. Also I can imagine this pump can take a lot of power from the battery.
So it looks like dual pump system? I guess there must be a belt driven pump somewhere inside?
I will connect my OBD2 to check exact temperature next time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As the weather is getting warmer, I have this behaviour every time when I get home - auxillary cooling pump is running quite long after I shut down the engine (about 5 mins or so..). Is this normal behaviour for 1.0 ecoboost engine? I am asking here first because I kind'a know what will Ford dealer service say to this

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is quite normal as the engine remains hot for some time after shut off. While the car is being driven you wouldn't notice it but its not uncommon for the pump to continue to run and even for the fan to come on.

External temperature doesn't make as much difference as you would expect as the thermostat tries its best to maintain a stable engine temperature by regulating coolant flow through the engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked today, it was running for 9 minutes and 36 seconds after I turned the engine off. Outside temperature is 15 degrees Celsius, just a light 8 km run through the city, no high speed or high revs. I guess I should call the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts