Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on this forum had their ecoboost petrol engine ecu remapped? I am looking at a company that offer that service giving the 123bhp engine a 40bhp increase and 45lb/ft increase in torque.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not even considered this myself.
Remember that if you go ahead and re-map the cars ECU, you are obliged by law to inform your insurance company who will no doubt whack you with a big premium increase as the car will be classed as modified.
Should you choose not to let the insurance company know then you run the risk of them not paying you a penny in the event the car is damaged in any way, or written off..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I did look at remapping myself but came to the conclusion that the increased insurance cost and risk of causing damage to the engine were not worth it. I find 123 bhp enough really. A blown engine will probably cost more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that the ecoboost engine has the potential and will come to no harm, but I would be concerned with (a) increase in insurance and (b) possible increased fuel consumption. I have had a quote but am not carrying it out for the time being.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ecoboost 140 bhp was standard from Ford anyway.
Formula Ford is 170 bhp with a larger turbo and some engines have run at 200 bhp.
But the higher than standard 100 bhp road mapping ie 123bhp and 140 bhp is boost for only a few seconds to aid overtaking.
Is the 160 odd mapping for short period only? And with the same turbo?
I guess that if some engines are thrashing around race tracks with 200 bhp and a larger turbo, it might give you some confidence.
But I'm very sceptical about aftermarket mapping or turbo size increase. They have nowhere near the experience or investment of a VM.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I haven't got the 1 litre engine, I have the 1.6 diesel and I have had it remapped by a reputable long established garage in Donny. Now, I can catagorically tell you, the premiums do NOT necessarily go up by that much, if at all. The fuel consumption is barely affected too. For normal road use in a "family" car like the BMax, you will use the top end power so rarely it honestly made sense for me to have it done. In fact I didn't get it done for top end power/speed, I did it to ride a more progressive torque curve when travelling to Spain n France. I would say, don't be put off and a lot of places will offer to put it back to standard with your money back if you don't like it. Oh and a real small note, you don't need to tell your insurance as they will never find out anyway, unless they find your receipt.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. The quote was from what is considered to be a reputable Company with a dealer network in 29 countries worldwide. It is a software upgrade only meaning it is all within safe tolerances of the engine and drive-train and requires no hardware modifications. They give a 14 day satisfaction guarantee with reversion to original, and money back if it is not what you are after. Some customers report fuel economy savings but most say they maintain their existing fuel economy. It depends on your driving style however. As for insurance - yes, enough said!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Omit to tell your insurance company and put a child in a wheelchair for life in an accident and your insurer will be facing a compensation bill of £ milliions. If they can find a way to avoid it, they will and will be willing to spend a lot of time and money examining your vehicle. Be sure that they will find out it has been remapped.

Reactions: Wiggy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.