Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a look in the brochure I have, and on the pics posted online, both on this site and elsewhere.
Does the system use a key in the bodyworkouter cap to gain access, or is there a switch/lever internally to use to gain access for refuelling
??
As I've not found any useful help anywhere to date, no doubt someone on the site could let me know - one of you lucky actual owners - mine should be started today on the line in sunny Transylvania
!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
So I take it that the outer flap [ bodywork wise] you just flip/press/push, to gain access to the innerfuel filler seal/neck?So how hard is it to push the inner seal aside with the pump nozzle?
All I'm thinking about is siphoning of any fuel from the actual tank

·
Registered
117 Posts
The flap isn't locked on mine when the car is locked. I always lock the car when filling up. you just push the indent on the flap to open it. The aperture is only compatible with the petrol/diesel pump nozzle. they assured me it would be well nigh impossible to siphon the fuel. The special nozzle if for when you need to pour from a petrol can but I haven't tried that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Not that I wish to spark an argument, and would like to hear other opinions on this, butwhat exactly stops someone who has theadaptedfunnel ( which I am sure is universal to each ford car, and available to buy from ebay / ford dealer / second hand car places ), from walking up to a car with thiscap-less
system, putting the special ford funnel into the fuel input hole, and then putting a smaller hose though the funnel.. into the now unlocked fuel pipework... ????

Or a long flat head screw driver into the now easy to access hole where the 'locked flap' is, and smacking it with a hammer to open it? the locked flap inside the fuel opening, is only a thin bit of sprung plastic.

I am not seeing the securitybenefitsof thecap-lessfuel system. If there was a lock on the face plate (that covers the fuel intake hole), that was connected to the central locking, surely that would be better, when the car is unlocked the fuel face plate is unlocked (but spring loaded to stop it opening by itself).. when the car is locked , the fuel face plate is locked too.

At the end of the day I just do not see why they are making such a big thing out of this... as personally, I think it's daft and making it easier for people (who wanted to) tosyphonthe fuel from the tank..

.... or am I missing something?

EDIT : Ha, here is some relivent information from the Ford Owners Clubwebsite, they have a forum that has a massive debate about this very topic, andapparentlyford has backpedalled abruptly and now offers a lockable solution to thecap-lessfuel entry vehicles. If you want it, you have to ask your dealer for : "Fordaccessoriespart number: 8U5Z-9C268-B"

<div style="text-align: center;">

<div style="text-align: center;">If you would like to look at the forum yourself, here is the link:

<div style="text-align: center;">http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/19950-incredibly-stupid-design/

Edited by: Davis_Zadian

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't know if it is pertinent but non of th eposters on that site have a B-Max. Maybe it is the same as on their cars and maybe not?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ahhhh, we have also had a Fiesta for 3 years and failed to notice the flap does not lock. I thought it was so normal I did not check. Perhaps that is why I am only getting 35mpg from the Bmax

·
Registered
117 Posts
Researched a bit more and......Ford Easy Fuel is available in:
New Fiesta
Fiesta
Focus
Kuga
B-MAX
C-MAX
Mondeo
S-MAX
Galaxy
Ranger
Fiesta Van
Transit Custom
Tourneo Custom

·
Registered
637 Posts
We were at a ford dealership today, and saw the "special funnel" that was basically a hollow tube with no special grooves, notches, markings, tabs. it was just a standard tube. Sothat'sjust wonderful... we were amazed at how the special technology that ford has spent yearsdevelopingand sung and danced about, under it's secret code name .... " Bit Of Tube In Glove Box " ... and were in awe of how garden hose like it was.

They better beware, as a rival company using there own developed "special funnel"
, code named ..." A standard Watering Can "... could be purchased from any DIY Store.

Thisverifies that it's just a internal spring loaded cap that you could push open with your finger. Which weprovedin the dealership today.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Davis_Zadian
Thanks for the info. That's just what I needed to know
, a flappy fuel tank cover, as opposed to a flappy paddle gearbox
!

I shall assume that the inner tubesleeve cover gets pushed by the pumpnozzle to allow fuel entry, and possibly syphon pipesaswell
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh, the wonders of a 'Keyless Entry'

·
Registered
637 Posts
kman2011 said:
"......I am surprised this subject has gone quiet, it was three years ago that it was raised so not sure if I will get any replies.
I too have a Ford - a 2011 model - with the Easy fuel system with no lock on the fuel cap. The information from applematt sounds quite reassuring, however I have tried a few things and unfortunately am not happy.Firstly, it appears that is is quite easy to syphon fuel out of the tank, as I found when trying with my car. Opening the cap mechanism is easy if you have a tube the right diameter - fairly standard pipe sizes provide a suitable fit, there is not need to use a Ford funnel. We then fed the tube into the tank. It took quite a bit of tube to get down into the tank, perhaps it was going through the pipework applematt mentioned, but it did not seem difficult to feed it in -wethen triedto syphon fuelout ofmy car - or someone tried for me - and within seconds we had fuel coming out of the tube. So much for it being impossible!Secondly, as you can fairly easily open up the cap mechanism with an appropriately sized pipe, anything can be poured in.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
I have seen on another forum that someone in Hull came back to their car to find the flap open, and most of their fuel syphoned out...."

That was taken from another site about the easy fuel system... he was able to get fuel out
... heraisesanother good point... about kids or teenagers at night putting stones/sticks/sand/ etc... INTO the tank....

I think I will ask ford about a lock...

·
Registered
97 Posts
When you think about it most flaps that latch or lock are pretty feeble and easily levered open.I would guess that fixing a damaged flap would cost quite a lot and you still lose the fuel.
Even the lockable caps could be wrenched off
They were only ever a deterrent

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would rather have the deterrent, then just something that a person could run up to, throw anything in, and run on ... :( ... anyway... opinions differ... I will look for the lock route, and post the part number (for UK) if others are interested.. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
As long as they are running with a bit of pipe they could drop some sand in your tank.........
if they also had a pocket full of sand....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts