Ford B-Max Forum banner

Ease of access to drivers seat

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  cianpars 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone,

I am about to replace my current car with a B Max and, as I have arthritis and chronic back pain, I wonder how easy it is to get into (and out of!) the drivers seat?

Secondly. can anyone tell me the width of the driver's door opening and the height of the opening from the sill?

Thanks in anticipation for your help.
Regards,
Ben Bhan.

#3 ·
One thing that I noticed is that driver doors is opening very wide, but there is a catch - the inner door grip gets quite far away from the seat when the door is fully open, so you need to lean out of the car to grab it and close the door. Some cars have the extension of the door grip that extends forward and up toward the door hinge, but not this one.
I guess that the best way would be to visit the dealer and try it out.

#4 ·
My last car was a Fiesta, but I am finding it more and more difficult to get in and out of cars, which was one of the reasons I chose theB Max.

I have to say that it is probably the most comfortable car I have ever driven and the easiest to get in and out due to the higher seat.

At full aperature, it is a long lean to reach the door to close it, but there is a catch in the mechanism that holds it open half way, so I don't usuallt open the door fully to get in and out.

If you have joint pain, stiffness and limited movement, the B Max is a great car to own.

#5 ·
I too find hard reach to close the door, so I have a piece of cord fastened to the door handle, the cord originally came from a Bottle of Whisky package, it has lasted for two B-Max's now.

#9 ·
I don't have the requested dimensions either, but we changed to a B Max because my wife has chronic back and neck problems which were exacerbated by the seats in our previous car, a 2007 Focus.

I can confirm that she is comfortable in the B Max, hence every trip is far less stressful for me also. ;0).

#10 ·
The seat height makes getting into the driver and passenger seats much easier, but for disabled passengers, the rear seat height coupled with the sliding doors are great too.

Additionallt, if you find that another car has parked to close to you in a car park, sliding the rear doors back can provide a couple of extra inches to get into the front.

#12 ·
Very many thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding the ease of access to the driver's seat of a B Max.

I now own a B Max and I have found that the car has the easiest access of any of the many cars I have owned over the years. The driving position is also one of the most comfortable.

The designers at Ford are to be congratulated for producing such a practical vehicle!
Thanks again to everyone,
Regards,
Ben Bhan.

#14 ·
Ban Bhan said:
Very many thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding the ease of access to the driver's seat of a B Max.

I now own a B Max and I have found that the car has the easiest access of any of the many cars I have owned over the years. The driving position is also one of the most comfortable.

The designers at Ford are to be congratulated for producing such a practical vehicle!
Thanks again to everyone,
Regards,
Ben Bhan.
I agree with all this. Unfortunately someone in the hierachy has decided to stop producing the B_Max. This could mean keeping my current one till it falls apart, as there is nothing I would buy on the market at the moment or seeming to be appearing. (Don't anyone mention Hyundai/KIA!).

Geri

Edited by: Geriatricus

#19 ·
My words exactly, so I altered just two.
Geriatricus said:
This means keeping my B-MAX till it will fall apart, as there is nothing I would buy on the market at the moment or seeming to be appearing.

#20 ·
I had a kia rio in 2002. OK but not great. Couldnt complain for the money.

Bought my wife a picanto last year as a shopping car. Again not great, but an economical 1 litre 5 door for 6,500 new, cant complain for that money.

Ive been out in a friends sportage and i really do like that. A bit to much of a monster for me though.

One thing I would say though is my experience with kia are that they are reliable. I used to know the owner of the kia dealer who was always complaining that he didnt make any money on warranty work as once he had sold them, he never saw them again.

The B Max 1.0 is perfect for me, the only thing I miss is the Fiesta's handling.Edited by: cianpars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.