Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently became an owner of Bmax 1.6 powershift automatic and was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice about driving on snow and icy roads. I have only ever driven a manual cars so what are these automatics like in the bad weather conditions and other than keeping speed down or just not driving it whar else do I need to know ??

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Keep your fingers crossed for a mild winter ! Otherwise check out tips from Google e.g

http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9614-Tips-for-driving-an-automatic-in-the-snow

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
petroanna said:
Recently became an owner of Bmax 1.6 powershift automatic and was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice about driving on snow and icy roads. I have only ever driven a manual cars so what are these automatics like in the bad weather conditions and other than keeping speed down or just not driving it whar else do I need to know ??
I would think except for being able to change gear quickly to slow down in an automatic and knowing they have fierce brakes, they are similar to manual once a slide starts.

Anticipation, anticipation anticipation is the golden rule on slippery surfaces, judging the speed for the conditions correctly with no last minute direction changes.

Quickly followed by as little and as light as possible braking.

Use what gears you do have in the automatic to slow down if caught out.

Remember, once you start sliding there is nothing you can do to change direction if you are braking hard

Try to take your foot off the brake and quickly re-apply (pump braking) whilst attempting to steer.

If the back sides out left, steer left, you steer left (into the slide) and accelerate a little if possible, to correct the slide. This will probably be unsuccessful on ice or on a slope, might work if you have enough room on the flat.

Join a local group - ask the Police which group uses their skid pan if any. Take some practice on a skid pan.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
JimmyH^_^ said:
that is good advice makem..sounds fun too

anyways like on my thread..I've since fitted winter tyres all around and have more confidence now even more than my summer tyres..
Thanks. I used to demonstrate skidding to local groups.

I read that there are now electric automatics (drive train). Is the B-MAX such? If so it must be like driving a fast milk float lol. No 'feel' between you and the wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all and thanks for the advice, most of which I already am aware of as i have been driving for many yrs but never in an automatic so still all new to me. My point was that in my bmax I have the usual options, P, D, N , R and S but no option to gear up or down. I have read that some automatics have a snow option or at least +/- button and an option to change to manual in order to gear up or down, but mine has non of these so how do these automatics cope on slippery surfaces. I will follow the links and see what I can learn from them.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
petroanna said:
Hi all and thanks for the advice, most of which I already am aware of as i have been driving for many yrs but never in an automatic so still all new to me. My point was that in my bmax I have the usual options, P, D, N , R and S but no option to gear up or down. I have read that some automatics have a snow option or at least +/- button and an option to change to manual in order to gear up or down, but mine has non of these so how do these automatics cope on slippery surfaces. I will follow the links and see what I can learn from them.
What is the 'S' option?

As I suggested, if you imagine you are in your manual car and you cannot use the gear lever, you have the same abilities and problems in the automatic.

Personally, I always jumped to 2nd gear in any difficult circumstances as this give the greatest range of engine/wheel control.

With an automatic you would just have to deal with whatever the gearbox throws in dependent on what position it was in when the difficulty occurred. Would it drop down from high to middle if you were in top? Test it by taking your foot off the throttle and not braking to see what you get and then you will know in future.

Take it on a skid pan is best advice even if you have to pay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The snow options in automatics are for setting off usually, they change some settings to stop the wheels slipping. As far as I know they have no effect on your braking.

Winter Tyres would be the safest way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have now found out that the S (sport) gear does in fact act as a manual gear option, with a button for +/- change. Also I have traction control which can be turned on or off. Thanks for all the advice offered, I feel a lot more confident now !!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
petroanna said:
I have now found out that the S (sport) gear does in fact act as a manual gear option, with a button for +/- change. Also I have traction control which can be turned on or off. Thanks for all the advice offered, I feel a lot more confident now !!

So you can select an equivalent to manual second gear if necessary when on a slippery surface.

I would test it before hand if I were concerned about skidding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Finally we got some snow also in Croatia, so I could try my new B-Max on the slippery surface.
With new winter tires and all electronic gizmos, it is a blast to drive on the snow, much better than any of my previous cars. I guess that is as good as it gets, short of 4x4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.