Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had this problem? The first time it happened I was able to get the door open by getting in the passenger side and activating the internal lock on the dash.The second time I had to call the AA as advised by the dealer and as he couldn't unlock it followed me to the dealer where I left the car as it was a saturday. When I phoned on the monday the dealer said they couldn't find a fault as the door was working properly, and advised me to take it back if it happened again. It has happened twice since, unfortunately both times on the weekend, and again this morning, ie. holiday time. All the other doors work perfectly, it's just the drivers door, apart from it being very awkward to get in the passenger side, I don't think it's safe to drive when I cant even open the door from the inside. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to say, it has been cold each time this has happened, although it is only today where there was a sharp frost. Would it do any harm to try squirting de-icer into the keyhole, or might that cause damage?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rather than using de icer, I would suggest warming the key!or buy an electric lock heater!!I figure that you do not have central locking?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply, the car does have central locking but it is only the drivers door that will not open. I have now determined it is definately to do with the cold weather, as soon at it reaches zero the door will not unlock or obviously open until after a couple of hours warming up. the car is booked in on tuesday now the dealer has seen the problem for himself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let us know how you get on. It was back in the old days you had to squirt de-icer into the lock but that shouldnt happen these days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer tells me they took all the locking mechanism apart and oiled everything, but were not able to see if it cured the problem as it hasn't been cold enough since. Obviously I am to take the car back if it happens again at the first frost. I'll update accordingly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to follow up on this post, The dealer has now had the car in for the third time, and having had it for three days and being in contact with the Ford technical dept.applied a special grease to the lock. This was on Friday of last week, today (Sunday)we had the a frost and the door wont unlock again so I am in the process of writing to Mark Ovenden having obtained his e-mail address on this forum and which the customer relation dept. wouldn't give me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just got this same problem today. It is cold, about -1 and all doors are fine except the drivers door. It won't open with the central locking, the key or the lock/unlock button on the dash. Very annoying and disappointing...

If anybody has any advice/solutions/proposal it would be great to hear.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Could be something as simple as moisture in the locking mechanism freezing. Usually a good lube would solve that, but it would explain why the dealer cant find the fauly.

In this case the lock and the locking mechanism all need to be removed, lubed and resealed.

Perhaps parking facing the other way might help if it is only one sided, particularly if you park on a slope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts