Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealer's today to check my new B Max which I will pick up tomorrow after its registration. Had my first look at the B Max and noticed that only the front wheels had disk brakes while the back were drums. For some unknown reason I had assumed that all four wheels had disk brakes. Does anyone had all around disk brakes? I haven't been able to find any info at all on whether or not, they are standard or an option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KBlair,
Thanks I was afraid of that. Don't like it ,but I can learn to live with it. Actually, it looks odd, large disk in the front and the skinny drums in the rear. I appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi,

Never been convinced about rear discs except on cars that absoloutely need them. I believe the braking distribution is about 75% front, 25% rear, when braking hard going forward.

Discs are also prone to pitting/rusting on the pressure facesand even runaway when used as a handbrake and they cool off. Overall give me the simple solution discs for the rear, but the better efficiency of discs at the front where it matters most.

Geriatricus

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would tend to agree. With modern braking systems monitoring and controlling the braking I would imagine the effect of brake fade in drums as they heat is lessened. After all where the brake performance really matters now, simple metal discs are not enough, and they are made from more exotic materials

·
Registered
234 Posts
Geriatricus said:
Hi,

Never been convinced about rear discs except on cars that absolutely need them. I believe the braking distribution is about 75% front, 25% rear, when braking hard going forward.

Discs are also prone to pitting/rusting on the pressure facesand even runaway when used as a handbrake and they cool off. Overall give me the simple solution DRUMS for the rear, but the better efficiency of discs at the front where it matters most.

Geriatricus
Cannot manage to edit my own post now I have realised the mistakes: so I am quoting myself to correct- which is really daft!
Geriatricus

·
Registered
637 Posts
yeah, this site gives you 15 minutes from posting, to be able to re-edit. after that time the edit function is removed for some bizzar reason. Maybe something Dan could turn off in the admin control panel to this site?!?!?!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts