Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I,ve been looking at the B-Max as my next car. I am disabled (wheelchair user) and I think that the B-Max without the B-pillar will be great for ease of access from my wheelchair. Are there any forum members, who are wheelchair users, who have the B-max? it would be nice to know how you have found the car for you, if you have found any problems and is it possible to get a wheelchair in the boot?

I will have to have the power-shift transmission, as I can only drive automatic cars, how have you found this. What is the MPG like? At the moment I am driving a 14 year old Mondeo 2 litre auto and am used to a bit of oomph in the engine.

The other thing I will have to look at is hand controls, as I am unable to use my legs at all. Has anyone had hand controls fitted?

And, finally, what's the insurance like on these?

Any help would be great.
Thank you.

Edited by: stupot43

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a motability car. Great car to drive, don't think it will be as powerful as the one you've got at the moment , although the bmax 1.6 auto is a very nippy car. I have back problems and I find the doors quite heavy to slide back into position ,as it has to click or it will slide back. I think you will have to check that out. You would have to put the back seats flat to get your wheelchair in , I think. 37.5 mpg combined.Edited by: Robertdownie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi. Absolutely NO room in boot for Tesco shopping let alone chair. Go for the c-max Massive inside compared to b-max. B-max is just a higher up fiesta, great to drive and fun but it aint no wheel chair user freindly sorry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed but what if you have passengers. By boot I ment boot, with seats up, maybe I was spoilt with c-maxs in past? I just walked 70 yards away from car with my keys in pocket, engine still running, could someone have driven off with car? Without having to turn a key in the ignition it is easyly done. I've done it 3 or 4 times now. Pop in shop for newspaper etc kids off at school.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luckily, the missus does the shopping in her car, so don't have to worry about getting the shopping in with the chair.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just curious, as you claim there is no room for a wheelchair within the actual boot area of a B-Max.
Have you been able to verify that fact, i.e. exact measurement of a given wheelchair, or is it pure supposition on your part?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi. Yes I can prove it today in fact. My nephew put bag of 70litre compost length ways (you know the size) up against back seats. It was only 2 inches away from locking mechanism, now that, is bloody small. Put 6 in boot and only just, closed door. One fell onto back seat. I have a warning light telling me about "drivechain" fault see mechanic, this is a common fault I think. It also cuts out for a second now and again at the worst moments just as I am asking for full power. It is not full auto, it will, roll back. Mine rolled back today as if I was in reverse...spooky. By a c-max. I had a 2010 model, plenty of room, absolutely no glitches at all. Sorry but if you have wheel chair it is no go, unless back seats down. Too many little probs for my liking. If you have mobility like me go for c-max, although I have not tried new model. Doors are very heavy and take a lot of muscle to close. They are built strong to compensate for no pillar. C-max doors open wide anyway. Try b-max out at showroom today then get back, you will see i'm right.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is the Ford BMAX club, everyone here either has a BMAX or has ordered one awaiting delivery. Most of us are very happy with the BMAX, but as you have said on multiple posts now, how you dislike the Bmax due to multiple incompatibilities to your life style, against the Cmax which again you have stated in multiple posts, is a much superior vehicle.... .. would you not have a better time with other CMAX enthusiasts at the following site :http://www.cmaxownersclub.co.uk/?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is not incompatability, it just aint working as it should. When I pull out from a junction and it cuts out, then people should be told. I thought this was the most exciting beautiful car I have ever driven for the first week, not my fault its gone wrong. Ford are going to have it for weekend now. I will have no car for weekend! Oh, by the way, I did'nt buy it for wheel chair.

·
Registered
213 Posts
hal13,
I didn't need to know about bags of compost, indeed, I'm not in the slightest bit interested in garden compost - what you get up to in your own time is your affair
!

As D_Z has stated, if you feel that a B-Max is not up to the mark, why on earth did you purchase one? Clearly you think that a Ford C-Max is much superior, so why not go and purchase one of those, and get rid of what you call "a not so superior Ford B-Max".
That way at least, the rest of us can clearly get on with our lives in peace, and enjoy our Ford B-Max's

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I was trying to point out!! the size of the boot for wheel chair users. I could't care a dam at the size of the boot. I got this car for fun driving like you??and it looks beautiful.
Gardening! I hate gardening, they were for the lady next door!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Being half-cut (Abbot Reserve is wonderful ale but strong), I feel obliged to add my two-pennorth.
I also have owned both C- and my current B-Max (as well as a Vauxhall Meriva and Hyundai IX20 between). The C-Max set the standard for ride for subsequent motors and I only moved away as the new version increased in size over the original ('better half' decided it was too large for her).
The B-Max was always going to be a risk in terms of the originality of Design, new manufacturing facility and 'first run' manufacture of the model, but within the intended parameters (size, comfort etc.) it is currently doing reasonably OK.
I have one disturbing feature, detailed in a thread elsewhere, but that aside I was expecting to have some new model problems. (The C-Max showed the rear door switch sealing problem, but a larger [and by-and-large], reasonably helpful dealer network meant this was not a real disaster).
However as I have neck problems, ride and access are my main bugbears (once a normal level of back-up is there) and the B-Max has a better ride than either the Meriva or IX20, and the access is at least as good as the Meriva and decidedly better than the IX20.
As I said to someone who approached me just after delivery, 'I will tell you how I rate it in about 3 years when I really know the vehicle.
To criticise the car for not being something it is not meant to be, seems harsh to me. It is intended to be the 'little brother' to the 'C-' and 'S-' Maxes and should be viewed as such. The concept is reasonably good, and only time will tell if manufacture in an Eastern European factory was a good idea.

Geriatricus

·
Registered
117 Posts
Geriatricus said:
To criticise the car for not being something it is not meant to be, seems harsh to me. It is intended to be the 'little brother' to the 'C-' and 'S-' Maxes and should be viewed as such. The concept is reasonably good, and only time will tell if manufacture in an Eastern European factory was a good idea.
Geriatricus
And my little pennyworth. As I understand it the B-Max replaces the Fusion
I had been waiting for a replacement having had 2 fusions, the first was when they first came off the production line,but boy were they dated by 2012. Dimension wise alone the B-Max isn't as large as the C-Max and it is for a different buyer/customer in my opinion. Mine is for me and the dog and the grand child from time to time. I don't think it is necessarily a 'family' car if you have 2 children and all the bits and bobs that go with them. I bought it above all for the safety, not the engine or the extras, but the safety. I was impressed with the crash videos, not that I plan to crash it you understand
the few problems I've had haven't really bothered me, I've been lucky I know. I also wonder about the decision to manufacture it in Eastern Europe. I may have a different opinion after 1-2 years, who knows. They may or may not 'fix' the wiper problem. I doubt they will, who knows. But the engine cutting out is a whole different thing. That would really worry me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts