Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my dealer follow-up call today, from my sales exec, who was excellent throughout..

I did manage to crib a little about what was missing as apposed to my traded in C Max Zetec, the ticket holder, and rear of seat pockets, but otherwise we are delighted with it

We are awaiting mudflaps, and with luck, a free exchange of tyre inflator for a spare, and rubber front mats.

It's now averaging about 47 mpg (1.6 TDCI)

I wasn't happy the way that Ford are pushing this accident management though. It's underwritten by another firm, and mentions the dreaded " Contract Hire"courtesycar, although they do stress at least that you don't sign anything.

That may be so, but if you are blameless, and the at fault insurer offers you a hire car, I can assure you that the Sh*te will hit the fan if you have already taken up the Ford one.... I ran this past my present insurers, and they were far from happy. There is still a lot of bad feeling about this in the industry, and I think that people should realise that we all pay in the long run. Why should they charge £55 a day for a hire car when you have a valid comprehensive insurance of your own?

A few years ago I was T boned in the wife's lovely C3
by a car coming out of a side road, and told the management company her insurer used at the time (Co-Op) that I had been offered a hire car by the at fault insurers, and I was told in no uncertain terms to ignore them. I wasplaguedwith solicitor's letters and threats by MY accident management company, all at a time when I wasn't in good nick mentally, it nearly pushed me over the edge.
Watch out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tried to get the useless gunge pumpreplaced by a proper wheel and jack but it was too late, car due in February.I would like to know what the spec is if anyone knows. The dealer could not tell me
Ebay has focus spacesaver but not sure if the focus one would fit
I don't even know where the tyre is stored
Our Puma had a carrier under the boot but I guess the bmax is in the boot like the fiesta

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Your car will be delivered with an insert in the well in the boot which will house the bits and pieces you get instead of a wheel. If you remove those the spare wheel will fit in there. (Not sure if you get the holding down screw with the wheel, separate purchase or with the 'bits and pieces'.

Above the spare wheel is a softish cover which hides the wheel. Above that cover is a board of some light material which is what you see when you open the boot. That board and the softish cover over the wheel form a 'secret' compartment in which you can hide things, or you can effectively lower the boot floor.

I have a spare wheel and tomorrow I will check it's size and let you know if nobody answers in the meantime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why is it a problem to accept a hire car from the at fault party? Luckily I have not been in an accident so didn't realise this might be a problem if the unfortunate event should occur.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smokey,It's no problem to accept a hire car from the at fault insurers, I suggest that's the way to go.
The problem is, if it is offered first by them, and you don't.

The accident management company will supply you one. If you are unlucky, it will be "Contract hire"
This means they will charge upwards of £50 a day for it, which they will try to recover from the at fault insurer.

The at fault insurer, will query or refuse to pay, as they offered a cheaper alternative. You then end up with the option of paying it off yourself, or having paid a £25 protection fee, have a solicitor assigned by your accident management company to pursue "uninsured losses" i.e. just the feckin' hire car charges!

The accident management companies used to make an indecent amount of money out of this, if it did get as far as a hearing they would also be awarded costs, and it comes from where?
Out of your premiums of course.

In my case, I became a hostile witness because they were bent. When I put it to the accident management company that I had asked about the at fault insurer's offer, they denied
That I had made the call, even though I had made a note of the time and call centre rep's name, and miraculously, that "Calls will be recorded" facility had not been working that day.

I have to be honest and say that according to the Ford blurb you won't sign anything, so you will never be liable for costs, but I don't think it will avoid the hassle and yearly premiums increase.

John.

Edited by: john51

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Makem, do you manage to look up the space saver size? I am now think of getting a space saver, but they are hard to find, seem to be very expensive, and so I am wondering if a space saver kit for another model might do.
Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dealer tells me a standard ford fiesta wheel can be usedThe only change would be it uses a different Bmaxinsert which can be bought on ebay for about £10
As my car is not available yet they have agreed to find one for me and order the insert

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Doors44 said:
Hello Makem, do you manage to look up the space saver size? I am now think of getting a space saver, but they are hard to find, seem to be very expensive, and so I am wondering if a space saver kit for another model might do.
Thanks
Sorry m8 I forgot all about it :(

I will look tomorrow.

My car is a Titanium, what is yours as the wheel sizes can be different depending on model.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Forget about what I mentioned in respect of the differing wheel sizes. The rolling diameter will be the same for all wheels. It is only the rim which changes.

The spare fitted in mine is a MAX IS (made in China as everything is!)

125 x 80 R15 95 M

I don't know what the 95M is. The well looks deep enough to hold a full size spare.

The plastic bag in the picture below holds the supplied wheel locking nuts. The supplied tools are in a bag under the wheel.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Makem,
Mine is a titanium as well, but as you suggest, it makes little difference to the space saver.

The dealers do not seem to be able to access the full sets and so I may need to be a little more patient. I'll try to see if those dimensions are the same as any other Ford models.
Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think that should be 175 from your picture not 125Fiestas also can have a 14 inch spare but the rolling diameter must be the same.
My dealer failed to "find" as wheel to swap so if anyone is able to confirm a fiesta spare fits it would be useful.
Will see what I can find out too

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
rogerhume said:
I think that should be 175 from your picture not 125Fiestas also can have a 14 inch spare but the rolling diameter must be the same.
My dealer failed to "find" as wheel to swap so if anyone is able to confirm a fiesta spare fits it would be useful.
Will see what I can find out too
No, it is 125:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep sorry, I did recheck myself. Ford space saver tyres get more interesting all the time.On one bmax post someone has a 14 inch supplied, perhaps we need a poll.....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I don't think it matters what size is fitted as long as its fixings match, it's rolling diameter is the same and providing it fits over the braking system.

A friend has a Jaguar spare with a much wider tread on his Focus.

·
Registered
97 Posts
makem said:
Your car will be delivered with an insert in the well in the boot which will house the bits and pieces you get instead of a wheel. If you remove those the spare wheel will fit in there. (Not sure if you get the holding down screw with the wheel, separate purchase or with the 'bits and pieces'.

Above the spare wheel is a softish cover which hides the wheel. Above that cover is a board of some light material which is what you see when you open the boot. That board and the softish cover over the wheel form a 'secret' compartment in which you can hide things, or you can effectively lower the boot floor.

I have a spare wheel and tomorrow I will check it's size and let you know if nobody answers in the meantime.
Any idea how to remove the insert? It is fixed in the middle somewhere.

·
Registered
97 Posts
makem said:
rogerhume said:
The insert fits inside the spare wheel normally, at least it does on our Fiesta.
Will you be letting the forum know if a Fiesta spare is compatible?
Iam sure that a Fiesta tyre will fitbut not sure if it will be too deep for the boot well.
I have been unable to remove the insert to measure it properly, my wife's 2010 fiesta spare tyre is 175 65 R14 (175mm is the width or depth required in the well).
Someone on this forum says he has 125 x 80 R15 95 M supplied with his Bmax which is125mm deep
This is the size used on the Focus so I would expect a Focus spare would be the best option as long as it has a 4 hole fixing.
The rolling diameter will be the same for 14. 15 or 16 inch wheels

1 - 20 of 20 Posts