Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi has anyone out there had purchased a dash cam or had one fitted to their B-Max? I'm thinking of getting one and would welcome any comments/information you can give me. Things such as make, ease of use and ease of fitting.
Your comments will be gratefully received,
Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tried a dash-cam in my B-Max, mounted as high as I could by the rear-view mirror.

The problem I found with my brief use was the camera would sometimes focus on the wires in the car windscreen, rather than the road and other vehicles.

I tried the camera for a few weeks, then reviewed the footage on the TV. That was when I found the focus issues.

Not used the camera since, and probably won't try another one in the B-Max.

I think the name has changed, but I effectively bought this camera from the same retailer:

http://dashcams.co.uk/shop/tsumara-l80-dual/

Easy to install - just used the 12v cigarette lighter lead. I did buy the hard-wire kit, but never used it.

The leads were rather generous in their length though.

Hope the above is of some use, although I'd also be interested to hear if anybody else has had a better experience - useable footage-wise.Edited by: Wayner73

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Apparently there is a 'correct' place behind the rear view mirror for fitting a dash cam or toll detector.

I have no idea where it is but would think that a USA company would make sure it works due to the number of auto tolls in the USA. I appreciate the B-MAX is not used much if at all in the USA but the knowledge is there.

The screen heater is in two parts so maybe there is a gap behind the mirror between the two elements?

Perhaps someone will point out where the correct position is?

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had various dashcams fitted in a variety of cars over the past six or seven years. Camera's have been from cheap to pricey and most often with the lead plugged into the power socket. As the specs of cams have improved then this year I decided to buy a new one and have it hardwired in - a nextbase and fitted by Halfords - they did a great job. Camera is fitted on passenger side of the rearview mirror and the whole setup works just fine.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I assume you have it fitted in a B-MAX.

Can you state which unit and the route of the wiring please?

Can the camera be easily removed when you change cars and unmounted from the wiring in the meantime? I am thinking that if the vehicle is unattended, in my case for very long periods, it becomes an incitement to break in.

Did you consider a rear view cam too?

Does your car have the in-built laser? Mine has a very large shaped unit housing the laser etc. behind the rear view mirror which would mean the camera could not be directly behind the mirror.

·
Registered
20 Posts
a great car the b max .... jeez I wouldn't be on the forum if I didn't have a b max :) .... nextbase 312 since this make seems to be the make mostly favoured by insurance companies and .. you can detach the unit from the mount very easily - magnetic clip of some sort for the cam but leaving the mount in place on the windscreen.... I would have fitted it myself but with age I now have severe arthritis in my right hand so I thought getting halfords to do it was the best plan .. they routed the wiring under the headlining and down the side pillar and from thence into the glove box (where the fuse box is) using the nextbase fitting kit. I don't have a built in laser as far as I know . Yes the whole shebang could be taken with you if you changed cars tho I'd be inclined to leave the wiring in place as it would be a bit of a fiddle taking it out. I spent some time looking at dual (front & rear) cams but decided the nextbase for the front was the best plan to start with - the idea of a rear cam is still an ongoing project - cripes I have enough tailgaters round here to make it a worthwhile proposition. I'll probably use one of the surplus cams I've got as a starter.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I went to Halfords today and got the fitter to show me how and where he would fit the Nextbase 312.

He was unable to show me any place where it would not be in direct view of the driver and, where it would have a full facing forward view of the road.

This was dues to the housing for the laser and it's corresponding
receiver, The rear view mirror has a a sensor on the back of it, precluding placing the dash cam on the
mirrorback.

We decided that a dashcam could not be fitted to my car. Another reason was that I felt having a moving image near the area of the
rear viewmirror would be distracting and the
fittersaid it could not be turned off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
cripes that's not good/ weird advice - 'legally' you are not supposed to have the image visible while you're driving and you can switch the image off even tho the camera is still recording the forward view - my original cam from years ago had a hinged screen which I could close to avoid the image ... there's no reason why you can't site the camera outside the sweep area of the wipers - say on the passenger side .... I am baffled by your visit to Halfords .... given that advice I'd go and have a word with the local Ford dealer and probably buy a real cheapie via ebay - about a tenner - and see how I got on with the idea

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ford could give you advice makem as could nextbase - for what it's worth I looked at the rexing but dismissed it because it was a) stick on b) poor video quality according to reports c) no gps or gps was and 'add on' I forget which .... I don't see that it matters where you have the cam sited as long as you have forward view - I mean you never know from which side an impact could occur ...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am using Mobius cam, it doesn't have display at all. For the traffic cam, display is not needed. It is fully automatic, very wide angle, just point it strait ahead and that's it. There is one LED slowly blinking on the back side, so you can make sure it is working.
I don't like the wire dangling across the windshield, so I connected it to the lighting cluster on the roof.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
PLEASE NOTE:
This item don't support GPS, Motion Detector, Parking Monitor features.

Not the same.

The USA one does but I am not sure in what form - external GPS?

I have emailed them asking if available in the UK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi folks.....after much deliberation I purchased a Nextbase 312 dash cam and it works a treat. It's mounted literally just under left side of rear view mirror. Had it hard wired as it needs to be on all the time (can't see the point of only having it on sometimes) so no wires showing. Has a magnetic clip so easy to get off and on. in answer to Makem's query have also purchased a French motorway toll tag and there's still plenty of room to mount that as well when needed. According to the instructions which came with it you mount it in the shaded area at the top/middle of the screen. Haven't used it yet but we'll see come next month. Watch this space.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
metalmickyc said:
Hi folks.....after much deliberation I purchased a Nextbase 312 dash cam and it works a treat. It's mounted literally just under left side of rear view mirror. Had it hard wired as it needs to be on all the time (can't see the point of only having it on sometimes) so no wires showing. Has a magnetic clip so easy to get off and on. in answer to Makem's query have also purchased a French motorway toll tag and there's still plenty of room to mount that as well when needed. According to the instructions which came with it you mount it in the shaded area at the top/middle of the screen. Haven't used it yet but we'll see come next month. Watch this space.
Do you have Active City Stop or whatever it is called? A laser housing in front of the mirror?

In my case the 'top middle' is a 'blind' area, hidden from view from the front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hiya yes I do have that housing immediately behind my mirror. I do not have Active City Stop but assume it contains the sensors for lights and wipers when using the "automatic" mode. I maybe wrong though!! The dash cam is mounted to the left of that just below the shaded area so that the camera screen is almost an extension of the rear view mirror. It is small enough, however, so that it doesn't distract me whilst using my mirror. Yes you see it in your peripheral vision but many people have air freshners etc. hanging from their mirrors without many problems. It definitely doesn't bother me nor interfere with my driving.
I'm happy with it and let's hope that, when it's up for renewal, my car insurance company is as well.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
metalmickyc,

Did you get Halfords to fit and hard wire it?

I got a Halfords dashcam fitter to simulate fitting the same unit in my car and he came to the conclusion he could not find a place to get a reasonable view. He had never fitted one to a B-MAX so I am wondering if his advice is not correct.

Would it be possible to post a picture of it in place?

I just noticed you are also in Essex, what area? I am in Chelmsford so quite central. Maybe I could use the same supplier as you have.

A manual:

http://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/NBDVR312GW-Instruction-Manual-English.pdf

I am away until mid September this weekend but will look into it again when I return. I will be wandering far and wide around China for 40 days so am wondering if they are made there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Makem I'm down the road in the wilds of Basildon. Bought my B Max in Lookers Chelmsford. A very nice young lady in my local Halfords fitted the dash cam in about 40 minutes and I'm pleased with it. Will happily send you a picture of it in place provided I can work out how to attach pics. New to forums so still working out how to do things. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday before you embark on your quest through China. To say that I'm jealous is a slight understatement. Will be in touch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts