Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the 12V socket in the dash switches off when the car is turned off. I think I read somewhere that it stayed on for a period after ignition was off and car locked but I can't find this reference again.
I would like to leave a USB charge adapter plugged into it to charge iPhonebut would rather not have it on all the time.

The dash USB socket seems to supply a lower charge current as if I run navigation and podcasts off the phone it doesn't seem to have enough current left to actually charge the device.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sure thing,

<div style="text-align: center;">Page 81 of the manual,
<div style="text-align: center;">

<div style="text-align: center;">"
After you switch the ignition off the power

<div style="text-align: center;">supply will only work for a maximum of 30minutes for devices up to 20 Amps"

<div style="text-align: center;">The manual does state that you should not leave things plugged in over night, and that really for best results, charging should be done while the engine is running.

Edited by: Davis_Zadian

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too find the U.S.B. doesn't charge my mobile phone. Can anyone advise if this is normal. If so I feel quite let down. A response from Ford would be helpful

·
Registered
418 Posts
I always run two sat navs, one connected to the USB, and the other connected to the rear 12 volt socket. I have never had any charging problems with the U.S.B., and I am sure both have the same output. All connected accessories go off within 10 minutes of the car being locked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use one of these phone mounting brackets with two USB ports to hold my Blackberry Z10, which has Mireo offline SatNav on it (full European maps, voice directions, speed alerts, etc). Charging seems to more than keep up with the power draw from the GPS (which is always pretty substantial), and the mounting is plenty solid enough (it can be hard finding something that works, at reasonable value).
"Dual USB Ports Car Cigarette Lighter Mount Holder Bracket Kit For BlackBerry Z10"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380721321170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'm thinking of getting one for the rear 12v socket as well tbh (I'd like a beefed up one in the same style for my PlayBook if I can get one, as that's really solidly built, and 4 USB ports is better than 2 which is better than none).

They do mounts for different phones, and delivery was pretty good (about 10 days from Hong Kong - other parts of China can be a few extra weeks). Seems excellent quality for the price - £7.99 including delivery.

I noticed the blue light on the mount stays on for a bit, but I take the phone off and take the lead out whenever I get anywhere, so there's no current going through it before it auto switches off.

Hope that helps.

PS. After China boycotted the EU for flights,etc., over the attempted carbon tax nonsense, pretty much any Chinese retailer on ebay with a feedback over 99% (and lots of it) after the terrible delays that caused, is a pretty good sign of a good retailer. That one I linked has 99.2% on 32,760 sales that had feedback, and I have used them a couple of times prior, with no problems.Obviously once their parcels are with the carriers, it is out of their control.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"I too find the U.S.B. doesn't charge my mobile phone"
There are USB leads, and there are USB leads. I have so many leads that don't do what they should, you just wouldn't believe. Some will charge, but not give a data connection. Some will give a data connection, but not charge.

Some even trigger the charging indication while discharging, believe it or not.

The only USB>microUSB leads I have that work with everything, doing charging and data, are two of the short (VERY short!) Nokia leads (when I realised that the one I had did that, I immediately bought a spare). I 'think' my Blackberry USB>microUSB leads are probably as good as the Nokia ones, but I haven't tested them with everything yet.

There's the same problem with USB>USB leads and USB>miniUSB leads as well, sad to say.

So much for 'standards'. /sigh

Something else important too. A lot of the 12v>USBsockets don't deliver nearly enough power to charge many of the products that can be charged via microUSB (or whatever). For example a couple of my devices need to have a minimum of 2 amps supply to trigger charging (e.g. a Chinese 8" tablet I have). So for those I have a good quality 2.1amp 12v charger (came with a 2.1 ampmainscharger as well), and that's handy for rapid charging phones etc., too.

Edited by: Ribbit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts