Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never got to grips with DAB because I rarely listen to the radio and don't have DAB at home.

Having heard that FM/AM will be superseded by DAB totally in the not to distant future, I feel I should at least know how to receive DAB stations to replace my FM ones.

Looking in the manual didn't help. 'Playing' with DAB in the car didn't help either. All I found in the few minutes allowed before HWMBO said, "time to move", was a few foreign stations I have never seen before, two DABs and some other sections which hold stations to scan the results of which seemed identical in each section.

So, I look for help from someone who could provide a simple walk through to setting up the basic BBC stations and some local ones, together with how to receive stations in different areas automatically whilst on the move. Nothing fancy, although I leave that open for others who may be interested, but just basic stuff.

Perhaps some kind person could start a new topic, "Basic DAB setup walk-through" and "Advanced DAB setup walk-through"?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know how to change channel on a Pye Westminster AM set and how to use a Pye Pocketphone but that's about all! DAB seems tofind all the usual stations for me, but the coverage seems patchy.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hllii.

I was hoping a B-MAX owner would have sorted their DAB out and could guide me, just a little.

However, I could work it out if I knew for example what DAB1 and DAB2 were and what the 'folders' of stations are as they all seem to contain the same stations.

Just grasping the basics of general DAB would be enough. After all I build and program computers but with modern phones and now DAB I seem to have lost the thread somewhere. I am told it is because I was not interested at the beginning of these whereas with computers I was.

Perhaps I should spend some time researching instead of Linux.

EDIT: Jeez, first bit of online research: How to tune your DAB radio - answer read the manual!!!!

Very helpful.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
117 Posts
As far as I know the DAB1 and DAB 2 just give you the opportunity to have different channels under each heading. I am not convinced by the DAB, it drives me mad seeking the channel over and over again cos I live in a hlly area!! Just listening to a discussion which keeps dropping out is sooooooo bl**dy annoying. Not sure that is any help. the tuning is like any radio to be honest and I didn't look at the book to do it. Use the menu button and scroll up or down to radio and choose ok. then scroll again to find dab 1 or dab 2 when you find a channell use the numbered buttons and hold down until fixed to that button. Jusy hope you don't live ina hilly area lol.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not a Dab issue this, but I only listen to Classsic FM. Living in the far West of Mid Wales with mountains all around me on one direction and New York in the other, I continually lose the FM signal for Classic FM. I thought the modern radios would automatically re-tune to a stronger frequency, but I have never been able to set up the radios for this option. At present I have saved about four frequencies for this channel but finding the correct one is something of a lottery.

Anyone got any suggestions please. ?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JOHNWALES said:
Not a Dab issue this, but I only listen to Classsic FM. Living in the far West of Mid Wales with mountains all around me on one direction and New York in the other, I continually lose the FM signal for Classic FM. I thought the modern radios would automatically re-tune to a stronger frequency, but I have never been able to set up the radios for this option. At present I have saved about four frequencies for this channel but finding the correct one is something of a lottery.

Anyone got any suggestions please. ?
So why put it in a DAB thread??

·
Registered
418 Posts
Actually, I have got a dab radio, but to be honest I find radio adjustments and sat nav adjustments to be more distracting than operating a mobile phone. As mentioned earlier, I can lose a signal several times in this area, and I only wish my radio would retune automatically to a stronger signal from the same station. It is no good to me when it automatically retuned from Classic FM to Radio 1.

·
Registered
21 Posts
John I live in Barry and have had no luck with DAB on my BMax as it says no signal. Now that is strange as I also have a portable DAB which I use when I am at the football and I have no problem getting a signal on that. I will keep trying with the one in the car and if I get success I will let you know.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My method for AUDIO UNIT - VEHICLES WITH: SONY AM/FM/CD.

1. Select DAB1
2. Select the first group
3. When it says no signal, press the scan button and wait
4. Now use the up or down buttons to find the station you want
5. Press one of the preset buttons and hold it down until that station is stored.
6. Continue in this way until you have programmed each of the 10 presets.
7. Step back to the next group and repeat steps 3 to 6
8 Step back to the next group and repeat steps 3 to 7 until all the groups you want to keep in DAB1 have been programmed.
9 Step back t DAB2
10. repeat steps 2 to 8
11. Now repeat steps 2 to 8 until all the groups you want to keep in DAB1 have been programmed.

Or,

1. Take the manual into the car, turn the engine on and set the temperature to a comfortable level.
2. Read the manual step by step following the 'how to'.

If I had done that in the first place this thread would not exist.

EDIT: Let me know if I am right that you can store in the region of 10 x 20 x 2 = 400 stations on your presets.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Makem, thanks for info on DAB radio, I found it most useful. With a bit of trial and error I managed to tune in the DAB , I would add at point 4 you need to press ok before entering the preset button, that took me a little while to understand why I wasn't successful then Sussed I needed to do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts