Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the b max, only yesterday, a question about cruise control. Should the panel light up when you turn it on or when the speed is set? When I use cruise the light only comes on when speed is set. Any comment would be great.
Wudy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Strangely there is no indication to the cruise control being on or off. It took me a while to find out that you must set ON then up to start.

Plus it's annoying that cruise control is off after gear change. Guess that's a design choice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
On my b max when you activate cruise control there is an indication on the speedometer looks like a very small speedometer!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Cruise should only br turned off when the ignition is turned off. After braking and gear changes it is possible to 'resume' where it left off.

I am driving a Kia in USA at the moment and it's control works the same way.

·
Registered
418 Posts
All cars I have owned with cruise control operate the same way as the B Max. A touch of the brake or a change of gear will de activate it; simply a safety issue.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It is not deactivated. It still can be resumedin the state it was before you say it was 'deactivated'.

A touch on the brake return control to you but the cruise control settings you chose are still set ready for resumption. Resume means continue from where left off.

Manual extract:

Resuming the Set Speed
Press and release RES

Switching Cruise Control Off
Note: You will erase the set speed if you
switch the system off.
Press and release OFF or switch the
ignition off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hired a Ford if US and it was neatly set in mph; push the button 4 times & it goes 4mph faster.

My new B-Max needs a lot more presses. I suspect it's set in those nasty foreign kilometers things.

Do other B-Max's do this? If so Ford are being cheapskates with a one size fits all unit

Perhaps dealers can reset it?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I do not think the BMax is designed to accept increases and decreases in speed. The best way is to alter speed manually with the accelerator and then reset it at the required speed.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
LOL

Surely it costs nothing to decide how many presses to change speed! It is a computer program with a setting that is changeable and set by the suppliers. There must be a reason other than financial for the difference. One suggestion would be the smaller/shorter roads in the UK so 1 mph is a lot but in USA it is nothing. Maybe watch your speedo when you press and see if it increases with respect to kph.

I also am driving a USA car in both USA and Canada this month. In both countries one press gives one mph but in Canada it is Kph so you need to watch the speedo. However, if you have satnav this warns speed in either mph or kph. I ignore the signs and use the satnav speed information and warnings.

I hired a Canada car a while back and it was possible to change the dash from kph to mph probably because they drive in USA a lot. Now that would cost money. (2 parallel programs)

I can't remember how many presses for the B-MAX but what is a press or two between friends? lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is the only thing I dont like about the Cruise Control system..is that it doesnt illuminate a light on the dash when you press On..

Like on my other car you press Cruise On and a light displys on the dash letting you know its ready to be set..then you press set..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I get an indication cruise is on.

I forget what but I will look next time I drive the car.

(From the manual):

Cruise Control Indicator
It will illuminate when you have
set a speed using the cruise
control system. See Using
Cruise Control (page 117).

·
Registered
155 Posts
the indication is in the speedometer it is a small illuminated speedometer (would you believe) when cruise control is empowered.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
JimmyH^_^ said:
this is only illuminated once cruise has been set and not when you press on..

The reason for the indication not coming on when you press 'ON' is:

When 'SET' and you brake, the cruise control remains 'on' but not 'SET' therefore not in use until you reset it. As soon as you press the 'SET' or the 'RESUME button (no need to press the 'ON' button), the cruise control is reset or set to it's previous setting and therefore 'on' which is shown by the indication.

If it didn't work that way you would need to press the 'ON' button AND the 'SET' button every time you braked and would never be able to resume the speed at which you were when you braked with the 'RESUME' button because the cruise control would be off.

Once you press the 'ON' button cruise control remains on until you either press the 'OFF' button or turn off the ignition. It sits there waiting for you to tell it to resume or choose another set speed at which point it shows you it has control.

Make sense now?

Edited by: makem

1 - 20 of 21 Posts