Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening i tried out the cruise control today ive never had this option on my previous cars its mad acceleration by thumb

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Traffic is too heavy for me to use it much, but I do use it when I can. Very useful to stop my right foot from going to sleep on longer journeys.
I tend to pull into the inside lane of motorways and set to just below 60 or whatever that lane is moving at.
Handy to use in speed limits to ensure that you don't stray over, especially those well endorced variable limits on motorways
This is also my first car with cruise control.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am very much in favour of the Cruise Control, and use it all the time on Motorways, I live 3 miles from the M6 and if I get on that and turn North, I can go 215 miles before I hit a roundabout and the need to slow down, although in practice I stop three times for a break in that distance, however if I turn South there is much more traffic.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I used it a lot on my recent 1300 mile round trip to Scotland. I can honestly say I wouldn't buy another car unless it had cruise control.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Adaprive cruise control maybe, but normal cruise control has a fairly limited application on busy motorways.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've been fortunate enough to hve cruise on my last 3 cars, I can say the Bmax has the easiest system to operate though. I love it. Made really easy wok of getting to Spain this year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
cianpars said:
Adaprive cruise control maybe, but normal cruise control has a fairly limited application on busy motorways.
I use Cruise an awful lot but I wouldn't think of using it on a 'busy' road, motorway or not.
Strangely, I found the Bmax auto cruise a lot more responsive than that on a manual Fiesta loan car that I had. The auto speed goes up/down 1mph with each press, the manual was about 2-3mph per press.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
One thing I have found worrying is that it takes a bit longer for your foot to reach the brake pedal when it is on the floor rather than the accelerator pedal. vital miliseconds in the case of a sudden incident.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Controlling the vehicle is always a feedback loop. When you drive the car (w/o cruise control), you are the part of that loop. With cruise control, you are out of the loop and it requires some extra time to get involved and adjust your reactions properly.
It is the same issue with today's "autonomous" cars: The car is doing all the driving, but the driver is still responsible, and is supposed take the wheel in the critical situation, which he cannot do because he cannot react on time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nick said:
Controlling the vehicle is always a feedback loop. When you drive the car (w/o cruise control), you are the part of that loop. With cruise control, you are out of the loop and it requires some extra time to get involved and adjust your reactions properly.
It is the same issue with today's "autonomous" cars: The car is doing all the driving, but the driver is still responsible, and is supposed take the wheel in the critical situation, which he cannot do because he cannot react on time.

I cant say I have noticed this, I am always watching the behaviour of traffic ahead as a matter of course. All the cruise control does is make sure I need worry less about breaking the speed limit. That said I am pleased to see that newer Fords such as the C-Max I have ordered has a speed limiter and Adaptive Cruise Control

1 - 11 of 11 Posts