Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a mobile phone person, in fact my phone hails from 1998! It has Bluetooth, yes really! I can use it to make and receive calls via SYNC but I cannot upload my phone-book so cannot make hands-free voice activated calls.

I would like to have a phone which I can use with SYNC but I want to pay as little a possible, maybe from Ebay because, as I said, I am not a great mobile phone user.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone finds their old/oldish phone can upload their phone-book via SYNC. Then I can search for one

I found a Ford compatible list but I think all the phones there are newer ones.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
It's not one of these is it

No seriously I use an Iphone but I suspect it will be too much for what you require.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi Makem and Davis_Zadian,I know I am picking up on this posta little late but re:the phone, my wife has a Nokia C2-01. this phone sells for around the £35-£50 mark and as soon as I turned the phone bluetooth on it connected and downloaded the phonebook within seconds.
And for anybody else who has SYNC, I have an Android phone and I searched high and low on the internet for a solution to being able to send and receive textmessages. Eventually I found some Apps and the one which works for me was Bluetooth Chat!I downloaded the App to the phone and as soon as I got into the car the App linked with SYNCso I can now send and receive text messages via the system. Brill

·
Registered
251 Posts
Went onto Google play with being an android phone. If yours is not android and the same app as mine, then you will have to try the apps available to you to see which works !

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Specialk said:
Hi Makem and Davis_Zadian,I know I am picking up on this posta little late but re:the phone, my wife has a Nokia C2-01. this phone sells for around the £35-£50 mark and as soon as I turned the phone bluetooth on it connected and downloaded the phonebook within seconds.
And for anybody else who has SYNC, I have an Android phone and I searched high and low on the internet for a solution to being able to send and receive textmessages. Eventually I found some Apps and the one which works for me was Bluetooth Chat!I downloaded the App to the phone and as soon as I got into the car the App linked with SYNCso I can now send and receive text messages via the system. Brill
I can't see the need to send SMS messages from your car.

I bought a San Francisco II phone and put Fish & Chips OS on it. It works perfectly with SYNC as does my wife's who has an earlier version of the same fone with the original OS>

·
Registered
251 Posts
The need may arise at some time but it means that you can receive messages as well which might be important and being able to use the system means you do not have to pull over to read a message.
Also whats the point in spending £19000 for hyped up systemsif you cannot use them to your full advantage.
May as well buy a Reliant Robin

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Specialk said:
The need may arise at some time but it means that you can receive messages as well which might be important and being able to use the system means you do not have to pull over to read a message.
Also whats the point in spending £19000 for hyped up systemsif you cannot use them to your full advantage.
May as well buy a Reliant Robin
We each have our different needs, I appreciate that. I was looking for reasons which I could not see.

Does the SYNC speak the SMS messages or do you have to read from the screen?

BTW, I have a Titanium with most extras and didn't pay anywhere near £19,000

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry Makem, I was quoting the list price. I paid £17400 for mine and it was the showroom model that they bling up so they can show people what spec they can get, so I ended up with Panorama Roof, Privacy Glass, Rear Spoiler, Spare wheel etc. etc.
Re the SYNC and messaging, when you receive a message you can choose either to read it, have it spoken to you or dismiss it and it will keep a log as well.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Specialk said:
Re the SYNC and messaging, when you receive a message you can choose either to read it, have it spoken to you or dismiss it and it will keep a log as well.
Thank you,

Then that may be of some value to me, providing the message remains available on your phone, in it's thread. In a similar manner to emails received on the phone, which are then not removed from the server, enabling you to retrieve them on your computer later.

I will look into it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I believe the APPLE iphone is the only one that will not (by it self) be able to read your messages to you, but as it has been said further back in this thread, their may be an APP you can get that bypasses that deficiency

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just tried this SMS thing and find that although my phone supports BT and does all the other functions, it is not capable of sending SMS messages to SYNC via BT. SYNC reports this when you ask it to read an SMS message.

So, for information of others who may buy a phone to use specifically with SYNC - make sure it supports SMS via BT.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am due an upgrade on my mobile phone. and would like to use the text messaging side to sync
The phone shops do not seem to have a clue which phones would be compatable with the system.
my present phone is a samsung galaxy ace which does most things but not the text feature.
I have looked on the ford website but there does not seem to be an up to date list.
If any one has a mid range phone where the texting works I would be grateful to know make and model
Thanks in anticipation
Dannyboy11

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the galaxy s4 and it works ok now. I was getting the text ok, but when I sent a reply it would go back to my own phone. Got a software update and everything is working ok now. Good luck .
Robert Downie.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think it was for the phone. The garage manager new exactly what was wrong with it. There has been a lot of cars with the same problem. My garage is macrae and dick in Stirling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My nexus 4 is perfectly compatible with my new car. I love the way the SYNC recognises even my Geordie accent. The sales rep offered to pair up my phone, but I asked him not to, as I wanted to play and learn for myself. It was ridiculously easy to set up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts