Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiI've had my B Max for 5 years now - it's a titanium with a few extras thrown in(it wasn't completely new (from Ford Direct)but only a couple of thousand miles on the clock) and it's been great - very happy with the car - lovely to drive.
I don't do many miles only 31000+ on the clock and believe it or not, I've only just had to get my front tyres replaced for the 1st time. I'm mentioning this as it proves the car tracking etc must have been ok.
Well, I went to Ford's to get them replaced (discount was available) and driving home, I noticed the car was pulling to the right - never had this problem before, not even on 'cambered' roads. Took the car back and was informed it was probably the tracking - argued that it was ok before but informed that it sometimes happens with new tyres. Booked in for tracking check - took them 3 hours but then said ok (after insulting me to say the car may seem to pull but it's just the road camber!!) Drove out and did a road test - still pulling to the right - returned and one of their guys came out with me to do his road test - agreed it was a slight deviation so took back to check - changed tyres around - chcked some sensor and said now OK - drove home and quess what - still pulling but now to the left.
Returned for another test drive with the Manager, this time and he agreed it was out but doesn't know why.
I suggested it was probably a fault with the tyres but they said no, can't be!! So they're checking some ideal tracking number - thinking of asking for my original tyres and original tracking plus moneyback and compensation for my time, mileage and petrol.
What do you think??
Btw sorry for the length of this post but felt I needed to tell you the full story!

·
Registered
64 Posts
You didn't mention the make of the tyres but I'm guessing that they are not a budget brand. Not that it should make any difference but you are less likely to have problems with a premium brand. If it was me, I would cut my losses with the Ford dealer and take your car to a tyre fitter with laser tracking equipment and see if this cures the problem. There is a guy on this forum who works in the tyre trade. Hopefully he may see this post and give you his opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi katsid.having worked in the tyre trade since leaving school i have come across this.//usually swapping the tyres side to side cures the problem..sometimes a tyre can suffer a thing called ply steer..this is where the tyre tries to drive at an angle rather than straight..it sound like one is faulty....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response - no they're not budget tyres - they were originally continental ones but was persuaded that the mid range was perfectly adequate and possibly give you better stopping distance!!Just spoke to the Ford's service manager and another branch has the better tracking technology so he wants to take it there to check it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi MAXFANThanks for your response - to be honest, that's my opinion too and I have told Fords this - I suggested putting completely new tyres on, however, am concerned now that they've adjusted the tracking that it still won't run true.
They still want to check the tracking

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi katsid..easy way to check...put rears on front...if it drives ok new tyres are faulty..if it pulls then there is a problem...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well if they swapped tyres around and the issue swapped sides it's obviously an issue with the tyres isnt it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

I don't know if it would be relevant, but I had a C-Max a few years ago with persistant unequal wear and pulling, but could not get any improvement from front wheel alignment checks.
Finally I went to a tyre fitter with full 4-wheel laser alignment kit and paid (through the nose) for a full analysis.
It showed that the REAR tyres were out of alignment specs, and when they fixed that I went to a sensible motor for the rest of my ownership.

Geri

Edited by: Geriatricus

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks but not sure if it helps as my car has never had a problem until they changed the front tyres - first time since new - which apparently means I'm a decent driver!!I'm of the same opinion as the other members who've answered my question - it's one of the tyres!
Getting checked today - they've had it about 6.5 hours already !!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fords took the car in yesterday to "solve" the problem - getting it back today.They tried various things - (btw tracking was always within the 1-5 tolerance)
Changed front tyres/wheels with another car - same problem
Changed tyres with back wheels - improved but still not 100%
Minutely adjusted tracking by 1/4 turns until eventually ok
Apparently my car has hyper-sensitive tracking - the tyres are fine!!
My question now is - and based on MAXFAN's response to putting tyres on the back - if this improved but not totally fixed the problem - was it because they had already adjusted the tracking and if it had been put back to it's original and "worked" would it have proved there was a problem with one of the tyres.
I'm obviously concerned they have adjusted what was a perfectly "tracked" car to fit a possibly faulty tyre and would it cause a problem in the future.
As an extra - out of the goodness of their hearts - they've done a vehicle health check (even tho' it's due it's MOT next month) and found excessive lipping and scoring on the front discs. Car has only done 31000 miles (first tyre change since new - to give an indication of driving style).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Katsid. Being pedantic, I would now take the car to a majortyre retailer and have them check the tracking. The reason, is that if you now go through the tyres in a lot less than 31k miles, then Ford have just waffled to get themselves out of their responsibility to finding the true cause. WHich I strongly suspect is down to one of the tyre ply being at fault.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm glad you got the issue sorted but I agree it does sound like they maybe already adjusted the tracking already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, it's not sorted - it's still pulling to the left -. Think I'm going to have to take my car to a tyre professional (as suggested) and get it tracked there.If I'm right, I'll be taking a bill back to Peoples!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the car back after Peoples have tried everything to find the fault - and seem to think it's now ok - apparently my tracking is so sensitive that it needs tiny 1/4 turns to get it right.
They actually changed wheels with another car - but it was still out so they swapped with the back tyres - still out - so re-did the tracking which is so sensitive (see above)
Guy said that the things he tried proved it wasn't the tyres, however, I asked him if he adjusted the tracking for these other wheels that he'd tried, as my tracking had been adjusted to counter any problem with the tyres supplied by them - he admitted he hadn't.

I'm inclined to totally agree with you that I have to go elsewhere to find out what they have done - my car was perfect except for needing 2 front tyres and now it has a problem - either there is a problem with one of the tyres (which is my first thought) or they've damaged my car with their tinkering about.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Absolute tripe. If your car has done 31k on the original tyres, it proves that the tracking is perfect and your driving style is gentle. It therefore has to be an issue with the new tyres.

Also, if your tracking is super sensitive, then does that mean that all b maxes are the same. How can this just apply to yours.

If I had done 31k on a set of tyres, I would not allow any garage to even touch my tracking.

The whole saga seems ridiculous just to change a couple of tyres. Hope they are not charging for any of this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have to add my bit here. I have been driving fro many years and have a very good mate who works for Kwik-Fit. When asked what 'super sensitive tracking' is, his response was - What??? I say no more...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Katsid. Not that it should matter in this day and age, but. may I ask if you are a male or female, I ask this because your story sounds like the garage/mechanic is treating you very unfairly. Possibly even having a laugh at your expense, failing that. The mechanic does not have a clue what he is doing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree fully with Thenstructor.

It may well be down to an irregular anddefective moulding in the tyre which could cause the vehicle to pull to one side,as the steering and tyre are in conflictwith one another.

There is one other thing that I would hope was checked and that is the rotationarrrows of the tyres. Hopefully they are pointing in the right direction

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
How many other bogus reasons have you ever been given for a problem. I once remember being told by a dealer that i had a pressurised brake pedal. There must be dozens more.Edited by: cianpars

1 - 20 of 27 Posts