Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 3 hours trying to remove the nearside dip beam headlamp bulb last night (gave up at 2am this morning
)
I can see you remove the electrical plug first, then rubber cap over the back of the bulb housing.
But then you have to push the spring from it location that holds the bulb in, Pushing as hard as I could just with my fingers the pain was to great to bear so I tried various implements to try to push that spring from it's catches.
It would not budge, with only a small gap to get to it is it quicker to take the headlamp unit off ?.

Other problem I have to get a strong magnet and a piece of string to retrieve a screwdriver that went inside the headlamp unit, great fun

·
Registered
712 Posts
Halfords fit them for a fee - extract from their website -

From LED car bulbs to super-bright headlights and everything in between, you'll be able to pick up a bulb to suit both your car and your budget either online or in-store.

If you're not sure what bulb you need then our online car bulb finder will come in mighty handy. Simply pop your car registration into the search box and you'll only see the bulbs that will fit your car.

You can even get your bulbs fitted for a small fee if you're not confident with doing it yourself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks But I made a tool from a old left over piece of steel brake pipe about 8" long and curved it about the same diameter as a tennis ball at one end, fitted the end away from the curve into a file handle, the other end cut a groove on the very end to fit the clip that holds the bulb.
With one push the clip came away.
Removed the old bulb and put in my £2.99 bulb (£9.99 at Halfords !) and the then the holding clip falls off into the lamp housing
, who designs it so the the clip is not retained, Next my next bit of kit I made was I had a strong magnet with a 4mm screw thread on it's end, so I inserted that into a length of 4mm plastic tube, I lowered the magnet into the housing to 1 remove the clip, 2 to retrieve my screwdriver.
I then removed the two star screws that hold the lamp unit so I had more room the get my hands in to replace the bulb.
Put it all back together, tested it, all working again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think next time I will remove the two star screws and it gives a bit more room to get at it.
The designers have no idea about the practicalities of changing a bulb, no wonder someone who took there car to a garage was charged £60 to change a bulb.

The main beam looks easier to get at.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wondered about changing headlamp bulbs. Not having one fail yet, I didn't fancy 3 hours of messing about. And it's a doddle. You're right, it's almost impossible with the headlamp in situ, but remove the headlamp unit (takes 5 mins) and all is revealed.The manual states to remove the headlamp anyway; sorry to say it's a simple case of RTFM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have to agree, remove the lamp assembly.<div abp="1355">
<div abp="1356">When you look at it is situ changing the bulbs appears do-able but I found it just no possible to get the right sort of push with the limited space, one side is slightly easier than the other.
<div abp="1356">
<div abp="1356">But if you do manage it is difficult to be confident everything is back in place right afterwards. Ultimately removing the lamps completelyis quicker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes much easier to remove whole lamp unit just a couple of screws then rock it a bit....it just sits in position. Notice many cars nowadays running with a light out due to the current fashion of headlight style.If you travel abroad you have to carry spare bulbs but no mention of a set of tools to change a bulb especially rear ones!

·
Registered
13 Posts
"change a bulb especially rear ones"<div abp="1464">
<div abp="1465">That would be nice, both the daughter-in-law's have failed, LEDs fixed in the cluster £200 each (a Peugeot)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think dip beam is very poor.
So, just changed the dip beam H7 bulb and fitted Philips XTreme Vision +130.By removing the headlamps it took just 20 mins to change both bulbs.
I'm happy with main beam as those are Osram Nightbreakers.
Waiting for the darkness to arrive to see if there's any marked improvement.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pegleg said:
I think dip beam is very poor.
So, just changed the dip beam H7 bulb and fitted Philips XTreme Vision +130.By removing the headlamps it took just 20 mins to change both bulbs.
I'm happy with main beam as those are Osram Nightbreakers.
Waiting for the darkness to arrive to see if there's any marked improvement.
Hope they do not dazzle on-coming drivers !.

·
Registered
161 Posts
They are a H7 55wbulb with improved light output and could be fitted as standard by any VM. The improvement is noticeable but not overly so. But, it does make the normal B max dip beam acceptable as is it so very poor. They don't 'dazzle' on-coming drivers; I'm a responsible motorist and wouldn't consider anything that would cause a danger to other drivers. I've never had to uprate headlamp bulbs on any vehicles I've owned before. And I've owned plenty.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Try this video.
It's on a Focus but it's pretty much the same for the B-max.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts