Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying my wife a B Max. Love the practicality, sliding doors, ride height etc.

I have always enjoyed Ford cars, but have been reading the horror stories about the PowerShift Auto Box. (My wife only drives an automatic)

I would be buying a late model 2017 most likely. My obvious question, Have all the problems been ironed out by this model year? If not is the box covered for the extended 5 year period. I have read about older years getting upgraded to the 2017 gearbox (so am I right to presume that this one is OK?)

Also just general advice as to whether I should buy one or steer clear based on experience. I am going to be parting with best part of 12k and would really like to think I am getting a reliable tried and tested motor.

Many thanks in advance. 馃嵒

Registered
I am considering buying my wife a B Max. Love the practicality, sliding doors, ride height etc.

I have always enjoyed Ford cars, but have been reading the horror stories about the PowerShift Auto Box. (My wife only drives an automatic)

I would be buying a late model 2017 most likely. My obvious question, Have all the problems been ironed out by this model year? If not is the box covered for the extended 5 year period. I have read about older years getting upgraded to the 2017 gearbox (so am I right to presume that this one is OK?)

Also just general advice as to whether I should buy one or steer clear based on experience. I am going to be parting with best part of 12k and would really like to think I am getting a reliable tried and tested motor.

Many thanks in advance. 馃嵒
The redesigned clutch pack was introduced around Nov/Dec 2017. Mine (64 reg) had three clutch packs before the new design. All were useless. The senior technician at my local dealer said that they knew that the, previous design, new clutch packs were unlikely to work but that Ford insisted that they had to use the parts on the shelf before they could use the new designs!!! As soon as the late 2017 clutch pack was fitted, it was perfect! I would suggest that you insist upon documentation to confirm the latest design clutch pack or a 5 year warranty.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for that reply. Very interesting. 馃

So am I right in thinking that the BMax was discontinued in 2017 ? Thereby, meaning, that potentially no BMaxs, even the latest ones, rolled off the production line with the redesigned, problem free clutch pack ?

So even Late 2017 models could potentially suffer from old technology problems ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have read, I am being increasingly nervous about buying one.

Which is such a shame, because, I cannot really think of a direct comparison to the BMax from any other manufacturers.

Registered
there have been very few reports of powershift clutch problems on this forum in the last couple of years.
Personally I didn't get the powershift model, because of the previous problems, - and the 'car tax' on the one litre was much more attractive.
I know someone who has the powershift model, and they did experience some problems, so I told them to 'drive it hard occasionally' no further problems reported ;-)

the most likely candidates for failure are very low mileage ex-motability cars since they /tend/ to be driven less aggressively.
indeed its a case of the lower mileage cars having more problems than the higher mileage cars!

you suggest a price of up to 12k that really is top end pricing.
If it must be an auto, I would get it from a Ford Dealer, with a full warrantee

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou 'Gremlin' Yes I think you are right about Ford dealership and associated warranty.

12k is circa the price to be getting a late 2017/18 model. But obviously would want to be sure of the latest gearbox. Do you know when the last ones rolled off the production line ?

Maybe it's me, but I am misunderstanding how driving the car aggressively reduces the risk of failure. If it's a flawed, mechanical problem then surely driving style will have no effect. If anything you would think that aggressive driving would exacerbate the problem ?

Could you throw some light on that at all please ?

Registered
Thankyou 'Gremlin' Yes I think you are right about Ford dealership and associated warranty.

12k is circa the price to be getting a late 2017/18 model. But obviously would want to be sure of the latest gearbox. Do you know when the last ones rolled off the production line ?

Maybe it's me, but I am misunderstanding how driving the car aggressively reduces the risk of failure. If it's a flawed, mechanical problem then surely driving style will have no effect. If anything you would think that aggressive driving would exacerbate the problem ?

Could you throw some light on that at all please ?
the powershift gearbox is more realistically a robot gearbox, with two clutches. one for odd and the other for even gears.
if clutches are always used gently, they will (like brakes) just slowly fail
often, a quick/hard application (or two...) can de-glaze the surfaces

case in point, one car I had, the brakes worked 'a lot better' after an mot, because they had hard braking for the test, most of my braking was so gentle that they never woke up.

not sure of exact dates as when clutches were updated, but we can find production dates for most B-Max's from number-plate or VIN

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the powershift gearbox is more realistically a robot gearbox, with two clutches. one for odd and the other for even gears.
if clutches are always used gently, they will (like brakes) just slowly fail
often, a quick/hard application (or two...) can de-glaze the surfaces

case in point, one car I had, the brakes worked 'a lot better' after an mot, because they had hard braking for the test, most of my braking was so gentle that they never woke up.

not sure of exact dates as when clutches were updated, but we can find production dates for most B-Max's from number-plate or VIN
馃馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What would I be looking for, or asking for to determine which gearbox is in a potential BMax purchase ?

My budget does put me in the realm of a last 2017/2018 model, but don't want to presume anything about the clutch system.

Any advice please?

Registered
From what I have read, I am being increasingly nervous about buying one.

Which is such a shame, because, I cannot really think of a direct comparison to the BMax from any other manufacturers.
As others have said, the 2017 clutch pack cured the problem, so there is nothing to worry about. If you are still worried
make sure you get at least a 12 month warranty. We sold our 2014 model earlier this year, and there was nothing wrong
with it at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts