Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a massive pot hole at the weekend and just found it broke the rear OS spring (got to check all others tomorrow in the light).

Any one changed one .
Also May do rear trailing arm bushes at the same time. !

I will claim from the council only if I could remember which one it was out of thousands that are out there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was a very easy job to do and would take about an hour.
1. With the car on a flat level surface (mine was outside) chock the wheels.
2. with a trolley jack I jacked up the off side, with my jack as far back on the chassis as I could and I then use wooded sleeper of cuts (9"x6"x18" long) to take the weight of the car.
3. check it is safe.
4. I took off the rear off side wheel.
5. Undue the shock absorber bottom bolt from under the car (Not the nut as that is welded on !).
6. remove any parts of your broken spring, make sure you keep the top rubber mount (Mine stopped in place) and the bottom plastic part that the spring fits in.
7.make sure you get the new spring (mine cost £45 from CES ltd motor factors ) around the correct way. fit the bottom plastic part (I temporarily held mine in place with some insulating tape).
8. If you want to have the same number of Fingers when you finish the job, I griped the spring with a large pair of 'Mole Grips' to insert it to keep your fingers out of the way in case it slips.
9 Now we have to get the wheel hub down nearer the floor to get the spring in (With out using a spring compressor ) For this I used a wooden old fence post 3"x3"x 6 foot long, place the end above the brake drum and under the chassis, I got my wife to gently push down on the end sticking out to the side of the car. Only push it down to the rubber flexible brake pipe is about straight and No more.
10. with a bit of washing up liquid on the base of that plastic part in the bottom of the spring to help it slip in (not Grease),

From under the car holding the spring with the mole grips insert the top of the spring in to it's mount, then with the help of a 18" screw driver just ease the bottom of the spring into it's housing, note the plastic part has a lug to fit in to a locating hole.
11. with a small screw jack I jacked up the wheel hub so I could get the shock absorber bolt back in and tighten it back up.
12. put the wheel back on and lower the car down on to it's wheels.
13. test run Jobs a good one .

I did find the location of the hole (a week later) it was still there so I noted it's location and took photo's and video so I can claim off the council. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi - useful hint - I had one spring fail after going over a speed-hump but it is much easier (and maybe safer) to do both springs at the same time (and probably better practice) - My B-max is now 7 years old, 72K miles. The springs cost me £30 each from a local motor factors (not Ford), but they were very easy to swap if you have two jacks and/or proper support for each side of the car eg. axle stands. Beware, if you lift both rear wheels, at the same time - the handbrake won't stop your car rolling on top of you, so you must chock both front wheels as well. Even better, if you have access to a car lift.

Remove both lower bolts for both shock absorbers, and then raise the car further and the springs will just lift out without any compression or stored energy danger.
Put both new springs in, lower each side enough to put the shock absorber bolts back in - and hey-presto! Job done
I was interested to note that when I removed the "good" spring, I discovered that this too had broken towards the end (see picture) so would have probably failed an MOT if spotted - so I was doubly glad to have got both springs done at the same time and saved myself another job and more aggravation in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Unusual to get a rear spring break ? I've only had a couple of front springs break on vans

I've owned. A lot is down to the design of the springs. They often finish in a point rather

than a flattened coil, if that makes sense ? Making them more prone to breaking.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

A few years ago, a number of carmakers had a series of front springs breaking. Apparently it turned out that the spring manufacturer was pitting the springs during some manufacturing operation and leaving a stress raiser. Of course with that in something like a front spring on a Macpherson strut, they ultimately fatigued until they broke,
One of the guys that I worked with had it happen to him, nearly caused some serious damage to the wing when it went.

Geri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts