Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 2nd service at Arnold Clark and they questioned if the brake fluid needed replacing.

I bought the car last July on 34k and its now on 55k (simple 50 miles per day on a motorway so not rallying), but ive no idea on previous history. Is there a set interval for this ? Its a 1.5TDCi Bmax (63 plate)

Cheers

Richard

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Brake fluid does absorb water which lowers its boiling point and is why most manufacturers suggest every 2 or 3 years or 20000 to 30000 miles. That said, I haven't had a fluid change in 40 years, but I don't really keep cars too long.

It's really up to you whether you follow the manufacturer's recommendations or are prepared to stretch a little.

I have not run a car past 40k for many years and have not ever changed the fluid. But some would prefer to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There used to be a school of thought that said change your brake fluid every two years, to avoid corrosion to ABS system.
The place I used to have my vehicles serviced, said it wasn't necessary. At a service they would take a sample of the fluid and check it's boiling temperature. That would tell them if it needed changing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The brake fluid reservoir is also used for the hydraulic clutch. The clutch slave cylinder is located inside the gearbox bell housing and for that reason I do change the fluid to help prolong the life of the slave cylinder. Because if that fails, it's gearbox off job £££

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The brake fluid reservoir is also used for the hydraulic clutch. The clutch slave cylinder is located inside the gearbox bell housing and for that reason I do change the fluid to help prolong the life of the slave cylinder. Because if that fails, it's gearbox off job £££
Another piece of excellent desiign then.

Reactions: jackkook

·
Registered
242 Posts
Richard. I am suggesting the Arnold Clark you use for servicing may not be quite up to standard when it comes to understanding why and when brake fluid needs to be changed.
The simplest way of telling is by doing a 'boil' test on a sample of the fluid in your car. I can't quite remember the numbers, but if the fluid has absorbed too much atmospheric water, then it needs changing. Like all fluids in cars nowadays, it isn't as wasteful as changing it every year or 6k/10k12k miles anymore, because most if not all fluids are better designed and engineered and why change something that doesn't need changing so just a waste of money and resources.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I started as a mechanic we never changed brake fluid, but did change a lot of wheel cylinders.
when went to work at a main dealer we changed fluid every 2 yr and never did a wh/cyl in 5 yrs.
Fluid gets contaminated over time and will perish seals.
it`s not really a complete brake fluid change. most places just pump pedal a couple of times on each wheel so there is clean fluid in cyl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts