Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do Ford brake pads produce an awful amonunt of black dust all over the front alloys.

Ive looked at cars of other makes and there wheels are nowhere near as black, particularly the premiium brands.

I seem to be having to clean the wheels every few days.

My Fiesta was bad enough, but the shape of the alloys made them easier to clean.

Ive heard that you can get ceramic pads but that these are expensive. Anyone tried these?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes, the front alloys do get dirty quickly don't they ! I tend to give mine a quick wipe over with a dry rag between washes to keep it down. Just have to live with it, (although I opted for the 7 spoke alloys for this reason.)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, a dry rag might be the answer. When i use a wet sponge, i just get left with black water marks. Using a dry rag or maybe even an old paint brush might be more effective.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have to agree,the front wheels take a lot of cleaning. I spent hours yesterday using a variety of brushes and eventually acheived a good result. I also previously owned a 62 plate Fiesta which had more easily cleaned alloys, but its a constant battle to keep them clean.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave my 5 year old Fiesta to my son when the B Max came 2 months ago. Fully valeted for him too and wheels were gleaming.

It hasnt seen a hosepipe or a bucket of water since and the front wheels are now black rather than ailver.

The B Max Titanium wheels have a lot more nooks and crannies than the Fiesta.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was told years ago to apply silcon spray on the wheels (not the tyres) something like Pledge etc, this helps.

I have also tried waxing the wheels which seems to helps with preventing the brake dust from really sticking.
My Fiesta gets washed on average two or three times a week so I don't suffer that much with brake dust on the wheels, and so far the B-Max wheels are still reasonably clean, saying that I think we have only had three days without rain up in Manchester since we got the car so that must be helping to supress the dust!!!!

Cheers John

Edited by: John TS

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure that rain supresses it, seems to form a black paste when wet. I too found waxing made them easier to clean.

·
Registered
712 Posts
For anyone else thinking of trying this, i'll spray onto a cloth then wipe alloys, rather than spray direct which may get onto the brake discs and affect braking !!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I woouldnt worry too much about a little on the discs, it will wear off the first time you touch the brakes in a revolution or two.

Ive also got a coyple of tins of alloy wheel cleaner that ive never used or tried. Dont know if these are any good.

I may also try the same though.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cleaned the dust off with an old paint brush and rubbed off a couple of stubborn bits with a dry cloth. I have polished up with pledge and they feel really clean, smooth and slippery now.

Just have to see in a few days whether the brake dust sticks less but dry cleaning does seem better than using a sponge and water.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have to admit my guilt here, I feel the time has come. I do remove my wheels periodically only to wash my wheels inside. This is alongside cleaning the outsides everytime I wash my BMax, lets say every week or 2 without fail.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Cars today use carbon fire discs instead of the asbestos material that is now banned. The problem is that different grades of carbon fire are available. Some are very hard and so do not create as much dust BUT they wear the disc itself. The Seat I had before the B-Max needed the discs changing at the same time as the pads because of this. I can't say it has been very noticeable on the B-Max and a brush and soapy water remove it rather easily.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have always, when I have had to change pads on my cars, gone for a softer pad. Reason; because then it wears the pads down and not the discs, cheaper and simpler to replace.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I replaced my discs and pads just over a week ago. The Ford pads are quite hard and they had worn a lip on both front discs.The mileage was 30k; it's almost impossible to say how long they will last. Depends how you drive (i'm very easy on the brakes) and to a degree the sort of roads driven on. I do noM/way/dualcarriagewaydriving normally, just country lanes and some A roads so there are very few hard stops.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most of my driving is gentle on motorways. Im also easy on the brakes, anticipating slowdowns and using the gears to slow down early.

I never keep cars for more than 20 to 25000 miles, so have not replaced pads for many years on my own cars.

Ive done 2000 miles in the first 2 months in the b max, so i might be keeping this one for a few more miles than that.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
712 Posts
After trying the silicone spray trial( to one wheel only) to see if it keeps my alloys cleaner, I can report, after a few days of mucky weather, that it makes absolutely no difference !!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
May not stop them getting dirty, but might be easier to clean i suppose. Ive put turtle wax on mine now.Edited by: cianpars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.