Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, Just bought a 2014 B-Max 1.6 Auto Powershift, it was the B-Max or the Hyundai i30 and the wife and child preferred the B-Max, and the dealer gave a decent discount. Really should have done my research, but now, reading about the issues with powershift, I am mightily worried!

Is there anyone with anything positive to say about the powershift?

Am I better off just walking away from the deal and risk losing the £500 deposit? Or maybe getting the Warranty4Life that the dealership is offering.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yep, for everyone who has had a powershift problem, there are lots who have not. You are taking a risk, but we dont know the proportion of satisfied owners versus those with issues so cant quantify the risk.

TBH, you take a risk every time you buy a second hand car, but an extended warranty is available if problems arise.

Good luck with whatever decisiin you make.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Agreed, the problem often does not seem to manifest itself until the engine is hot.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The latest Clutch Pack fixes the problem. Check if the car has had this, in the last 3 months. previously they were replacing dodgy clutch packs with dodgy clutch packs to clear the shelves of old spares.The new one DOES work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All, I finally decided to cancel my order, and the dealers were really nice and returned the deposit. So, the search for my next car continues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, have always had manual, so want to try an auto now. Finally bought a Hyundai i30 and must say that although the car is fine, I am not sold on the whole dual clutch transmission, it is as if someone else is in control of the car and rather than taking the load of shifting gears off your mind, its even more of a worry if the car will respond correctly and in a timely manner.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hopefully just take a while to get used to it. You'll find it a more relaxed driving experience eventually, especially in town. It's hard because you 'know' when you should change and it can feel ages before the auto does it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yeah, Ive found that auto boxes seem to want to be in too high a gear when you want to overtake and change up to late when you are driving gently. Thats their nature though.

I prefer to have control, but for some, that isnt an option.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Auto boxes are getting a lot better though, certainly the 9 speed boxes with a decent engine should be fine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We've only had our three year old 1,6 Auto for just over three weeks, First issue was battery going flat, which seems to be ok now. Then noticed drivers side windscreen wasn't clearing, that is being replaced next week.
Lovely little car to drive, although I do notice the fuel gauge going down quickly. What sort of mileage
do people reckon they are getting ? We use the car mostly for local trips, for shopping and taking rubbish to tip. On a run it will probably perform better.

Edited by: Hadrian1

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Round town, should get 30 to 35 mpg if petro. People are getting 60 withe the diesel. I get 45 from my 1 litre turbo. The 1.6 petrol is a bit thirsty, especially with the auto box and around town.

If most of your driving is around town, a diesel, 1.4 or 1.0 turbo would have been a better buy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
cianpars said:
Round town, should get 30 to 35 mpg if petro. People are getting 60 withe the diesel. I get 45 from my 1 litre turbo. The 1.6 petrol is a bit thirsty, especially with the auto box and around town.

If most of your driving is around town, a diesel, 1.4 or 1.0 turbo would have been a better buy.

My 1.6 powershift petrol does upper 30s around town, mid 40s on longer trips.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a manual 1.6 Focus before I bought my 1.6 B Max Powershift, and I haven't noticed any real difference in fuel economy. In any case, I didn't buy the car for increased MPG, but for convenience, the B Max being a small auto that has plenty of oomph and feels like a much bigger car.

When it drives well, its a pleasure to be behind the wheel. Trouble is that having had the new clutch I'm still nervous at the slightest sign of any vibration. 500 odd miles and still fine, so hopefully I did get the updated clutch and won't be going back to the dealer!

Another point to consider is how the motor trade view these cars if you take the decision to trade in and move on. The dealer where I bought mine presently has 2 Powershift B Maxes in stock, including a 13 plate car which he is selling with 12 months parts and labour warranty, but which is only warrantied with Ford till next May. So he clearly has faith in them.

Taken as an overall package, the B Max is such a good car that it almost makes it worthwhile putting up with the hassle of getting a clutch replaced in order to properly experience the joy of driving the fully functioning 1.6 automatic, but given my experience of the last three months I'd be dishonest if I were to recommend the Powershift.

Edited by: desthemoaner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts