Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a hair line crack has appeared on the front of my bonnet, it is about an inch up from the edge of the bonnet above the Ford logo badge, I have been told that this has been caused by pressing down too hard when shutting the bonnet, I have never opened the bonnet !!!! The car was bought from new last November, has anyone else had the same problem

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do you seriously mean you haven't checked your oil and water in nearly a year ????
Anyway, it shouldn't crack - sounds like you need to claim onyour paintwarranty !

http://www.ford.co.uk/BuyingandprotectingyourFord/Warranties/New-Car

·
Registered
712 Posts
Interesting topic for discussion here methinks !

Maybe i'm a bit "old school". I generally pop the bonnet and have a quick look (and wipe over with a damp rag) probably about once a month. Anyone else like to air their views ?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I thought I was 'old school' too, having carried out engine strip-downs and body repairs on my cars over the years.

I find nowadays though that cars are manufactured to such a high standard that unless something is wrong there is no need to interfere
even with a rag!

If something goes wrong, even for tyre loss of pressure, then you are notified and can then do something.

Perhaps I am lazy? I don't even clean my car any more except for a car wash (soft cloth ones) and a hoover round inside if it gets too bad
I tell a white lie there because I did wash it manually for two months I think when new and maybe I will do similar this time. Reason, I like to think the paint/lacquer job is hardened by then.

I find that gone are the days when you needed to check water, oil, fluid levels because if you did not, nothing warned you. Did we have a handbrake 'on' warning?I remember I knew the indicators were on because i heard it open right beside my ear!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hywel S Wales said:
Interesting topic for discussion here methinks !

Maybe I'm a bit "old school". I generally pop the bonnet and have a quick look (and wipe over with a damp rag) probably about once a month. Anyone else like to air their views ?
We are bad boys here!

OP has not had an answer and who reads the first post of a thread. Maybe Admin will create a thread but at least the OP knows two people didn't have a crack which I find amazing even if you did shut it hard.

It would take a strong man to bend metal even if it is thin nowadays.I would be speaking to someone on high if not with Ford direct. I think it is more likely to be a paint defect.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
136 Posts
I sincerely doubt the bonnet has cracked, the grades of steel used will bend and tear but rarely crack, this sounds more like a paint flaw and you couldn't do this by pressing down on the thing, at worst you would cause a dent.
That said you really should lift the bonnet to check oil and water levels, if nothing else it will alert you to early signs of problems such as leaking head gaskets or oil leaks and Itop upmy windscreen washer fluid every couple of months atleast.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes you are being lazy, if the first warning you have of a slow leak of oil or water is the warning light coming on when you are doing 70 in the outside lane of a motorway you will understand why.
Cars are certainly better made than they were when I started driving in the 70's but head gaskets still spring leaks occasionally and in terms of sensors we have gone backwards in many ways. My 2013 B-Max Tdi doesn't even have a temperature gauge which my 1971 Hillman Imp had.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Well, I started driving in the very early sixties so I have a little more experience

Since the seventies I've never had a had gasket go. In fact I can't remember ever having any problem which was not resolved on service without my intervention. Quality cars

Not lazy really just conserving energy

PS. You don't need a temp gauge in a modern car quality car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts