Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ! Just changed (2 months ago) from a Ford 1.6 Zetec Cmax 61 plate to a 1.4 Zetec Bmax 15 plate and I’d just like to share my impressions after 2 months.

Driving the same roads under the same conditions my Cmax returned a consistent 33/34 mpg or more, the Bmax struggles to get better than 32 mpg (if I drive like a nun ).

The Cmax gear ratios where fine, and the flexibility of the Cmax engine coped well if you decided to stick it in 5th at just over 30 mph, the Bmax does not like 5th much below 38/40 mph, it judders mildly. 5th gear is just too high on the Bmax, I presume it’s only designed for motorway or fast dual carriageway use.

The indicators on the Cmax very rarely failed to cancel after making a turn but I have already learned to double check that the Bmax’s indicators have cancelled, they don’t 1 in every 10 times. They are also very, very quiet and at anything over 35 mph can’t be heard over the engine/road noise.

I’ve already posted a query about the loudness, or lack of it, of all the notification sounds, only the reverse warning tone is ok, but then again that manoeuvre is usually at 3 mph or less, so I would hear it. I am considering fitting a warning toner to help me with the indicators. (I have much the same fitted on my motorbike).

So all in all I still somewhat regret parting with my 61 plate Cmax for a newer 15 plate Bmax, it seemed like a good idea at the time, and I must admit apart from the above comments the Bmax drives well, but does rock and roll more than a Cmax through the country bends :surprise:.

I’ll give it 12 months to see if I can warm more to the Bmax.
Leo

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was under the impression that the 1.6 Powershift I have, was the least economical. I'm getting 34 mpg at the moment.
Others have mentioned the volume of the reversing sensor alarm, mine is fine and I have dodgy hearing. Likewise with
the indicators, not problems with them either. They are quiet, but I find that in most cars now.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yep, the indicators are a bit too quiet. I find the reversing sensors to be fine.

Surprising that a smaller newer car with a smaller engine is proving less economical. For info, I am averaging close to 46 mpg on my 1.0 123 bhp B Max and am very pleased with it in almost every respect.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Surprising that a smaller newer car with a smaller engine is proving less economical. For info, I am averaging close to 46 mpg on my 1.0 123 bhp B Max and am very pleased with it in almost every respect.
Stating the obvious I know, but It depends so much on where you are driving. Driving my powershift around town I get 34mpg at best.
Although when I reset the trip and went up the A12 for 25miles and back, it went up to 50mpg.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My Bmax 1.6 petrol powershift never did less than low 40s mpg and on long trips, 47/48mpg (more when in full 'Nun' mode).

I used cruise control a lot and found it more economical than when in manual throttle mode. I guess the computer control was gentler on the throttle than my boot (and maybe leo bailey's boot).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
MPG wise, mine is economical around town and also between 50 and 65 mph. Go much over 70 though and you can see the MPG meter take a hammering. The more you can avoid using the brake pedal, the more MPG you will get. A couple of extra lbs of tyre pressure helps and a bit of slipstreaming if you dare 😊

·
Registered
52 Posts
1.6Tdci
Now remapped for economy
Live in rural area, no very short journeys, fast B ad A roads mainly
50.6mpg current average over last about 1000 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi ! Just changed (2 months ago) from a Ford 1.6 Zetec Cmax 61 plate to a 1.4 Zetec Bmax 15 plate and I’d just like to share my impressions after 2 months.

Driving the same roads under the same conditions my Cmax returned a consistent 33/34 mpg or more, the Bmax struggles to get better than 32 mpg (if I drive like a nun ).

The Cmax gear ratios where fine, and the flexibility of the Cmax engine coped well if you decided to stick it in 5th at just over 30 mph, the Bmax does not like 5th much below 38/40 mph, it judders mildly. 5th gear is just too high on the Bmax, I presume it’s only designed for motorway or fast dual carriageway use.

The indicators on the Cmax very rarely failed to cancel after making a turn but I have already learned to double check that the Bmax’s indicators have cancelled, they don’t 1 in every 10 times. They are also very, very quiet and at anything over 35 mph can’t be heard over the engine/road noise.

I’ve already posted a query about the loudness, or lack of it, of all the notification sounds, only the reverse warning tone is ok, but then again that manoeuvre is usually at 3 mph or less, so I would hear it. I am considering fitting a warning toner to help me with the indicators. (I have much the same fitted on my motorbike).

So all in all I still somewhat regret parting with my 61 plate Cmax for a newer 15 plate Bmax, it seemed like a good idea at the time, and I must admit apart from the above comments the Bmax drives well, but does rock and roll more than a Cmax through the country bends :surprise:.

I’ll give it 12 months to see if I can warm more to the Bmax.
Leo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Realise this is an old post, however I own a 1.4 BMax too and according to the trip computer, my average fuel consumption over the past 23,000 miles has been 48.5mpg. I live in a city so the vehicle is used over a mix of stop-start and motorway driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To respond (to Peter001), after three years’ experience with my Bmax:

Now, three years on my 1.4 petrol Zetec 2015 plate Bmax, the Bmax was an ex mobility car with less than 8,000 miles on it, and I confess the low mileage really influence my purchase.

The previous three years with my 61 plate 1.6 Zetec C max was great, and reluctantly I let it go because the electric power steering was failing more, and more, and I faced a £1500 + bill to replace it (thanks Ford for using substandard electronic components and building down to a price).

Yes the Bmax gearing is weird, first gear is ultra-low, second gear is ok I suppose. Third gear I use a lot and providing I let it up to 6,000 rpm the Bmax can be made to perform bearably well. Fourth gear is also I suppose ok, but fifth gear is as described, too high unless you’re into a lot of trunk road travel.

I get around 32 to 33 mpg driving like a nun (on a holy day, with an archbishop as a passenger). Anyone who claims more than 35 mpg for the 1.4 petrol Bmax must have a faulty computer display. It’s a heavy car (thanks to no B pillar) and a crap set of gear ratios.

So I’m currently stuck with the Bmax, it would be an great car with the 1.6 Cmax engine and gearbox fitted though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I own the 1.0 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps
I have no issues at all driving at 30 mph in 5th gear, it just purrs along nicely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To respond (to Peter001), after three years’ experience with my Bmax:

Now, three years on my 1.4 petrol Zetec 2015 plate Bmax, the Bmax was an ex mobility car with less than 8,000 miles on it, and I confess the low mileage really influence my purchase.

The previous three years with my 61 plate 1.6 Zetec C max was great, and reluctantly I let it go because the electric power steering was failing more, and more, and I faced a £1500 + bill to replace it (thanks Ford for using substandard electronic components and building down to a price).

Yes the Bmax gearing is weird, first gear is ultra-low, second gear is ok I suppose. Third gear I use a lot and providing I let it up to 6,000 rpm the Bmax can be made to perform bearably well. Fourth gear is also I suppose ok, but fifth gear is as described, too high unless you’re into a lot of trunk road travel.

I get around 32 to 33 mpg driving like a nun (on a holy day, with an archbishop as a passenger). Anyone who claims more than 35 mpg for the 1.4 petrol Bmax must have a faulty computer display. It’s a heavy car (thanks to no B pillar) and a crap set of gear ratios.

So I’m currently stuck with the Bmax, it would be an great car with the 1.6 Cmax engine and gearbox fitted though.
Re my indicated consumption average of 48.5 mpg, I reckon the computer is within +/- 10% accurate, judging by the amount of fuel I put in.

I found the key to achieve this level of mpg is to change gear more or less in keeping with the gear change indicator, if road conditions and hills etc. permit.

In general, I rarely need to exceed 3000rpm to make good progress. Mine is a December 2016 model, perhaps there were engine / tuning updates over the production run?

·
Registered
52 Posts
From what I’ve read the 1.4 petrol engine option in the B Max has never had great reviews- power and fuel consumption.
Currently getting 56mpg from our 2014 1.6 - same engine as in the older Berlingo vans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I’ve read the 1.4 petrol engine option in the B Max has never had great reviews- power and fuel consumption.
Currently getting 56mpg from our 2014 1.6 - same engine as in the older Berlingo vans.

Has anyone out there got experience of having the ECU remapped on a 1.4 petrol Bmax, I would be very interested if I can tweak the consumption and power

Leo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts