Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a B Max Titanium 1.6 diesel for 5 months.
Why cant Ford make refined diesels . . . .mine clatters like hell when cold -and is not much better when hot. It is unrefined , ride is too firm , and must admit it is pretty ugly. cant wait to get rid . . . .

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am also the owner of a 1.6 diesel, it is smooth running and sounds like any
other diesel car I have owned, suggest you take your vehicle to reputable dealer to get it checked out?
Ride is firm to combat roll, as it has a higher centre of gravity, the same as all mpv's.

Look is in the eye of the beholder!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
topolino said:
I have had a B Max Titanium 1.6 diesel for 5 months.
Why cant Ford make refined diesels . . . .mine clatters like hell when cold -and is not much better when hot. It is unrefined , ride is too firm , and must admit it is pretty ugly. cant wait to get rid . . . .
Sounds like you didn't look at the car or take a few test drives at different suppliers before buying. The first thing I check is, "Do I like the looks?" and as a result, pass by many similar types.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that reply . . .if a tad patronising.1. The vehicle is 5 months old . . .bought new in June.2014.

2. I have bought 28 newcars in my lifetime . . . .8 of them diesels. I would imagine that does give me a little bit of experience to make comparisons and make assumptions.

3. You are right about the reason for the firm ride . Other manufacturers can and do make higher MPV.s
that have a smoother ride. As an example try a Citroen C4 Picasso .(New model)

4. If I have the car that long , maybe I will get the noise checked out . trouble is Ford will be reluctant to acknowledgethe fault , so on reflection will probably get rid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have checked the engine oil level - all ok.The car is only 5 months old.
I don't think Ford diesels are known for their refinement anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you don't think I went for a test drive . . .Or looked at the car . . . What planet are you on?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just thought it was stange to buy a car when you didn't like the look or the ride. So I asumed you did not test or look, unless it was HWMBO who said, "buy it!".

·
Registered
106 Posts
No doubt this gentleman is being a bit nasty and rough,possible a bit over the top. But I have an understanding of his complaint. I had a 1.5d for a little over a year and confess found it a bit noisy,my understanding was I ought to have bought the 1.6 not the 1.5. Sad to see thes complaits are of the 1.6 and that it was also noisy. To be fair I loved driving it just like a wee sports car,not a lot of umps and needed the use the gear stick a lot but fun to drive. The steering very direct. Strange you should mention the Picasso 4 i was able to pick up an almost new one with all the bells and whistles I wanted and the 1.6D same as your BMax. Yes they are the same engine all made by Peugeot/Citeron and for a Diesel very very quiet and full of life. I have just finished a short driving holiday and checked the M P G.
Over 3 days I completed 530 miles most of which on good driving roads and about 20% over say class C roads. My only concession to driving was to set the speed limiter to 70 mph. As you will understand I did not pass many cars!
I returned 53mpg. Over last few days have added a further 300+ and now returning total 51 mg. must say am more than happy with this. Will let run at least another 1000 and see how it goes. By the way the road tax is the same.
The one aspect of the BMax with which I was unhappy was the visibility on the inside.
Gone are the days when you could be sure of not being passed on passenger side,the wing mirrors were not as efficient as they could be. My old age made twisting round to look almost impossible. The C4 is a joy in this respect.
However I had a lovely year with the BMax but have no regrets at the change,happy motoring.
arm987˜Žƒ

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also have a 1.6 B-max Titanium Tdi and it compares favourably with my previous motor which was a Seat Altea 1.6Tdi
1) The engine is slightly more clattery at low speed than the VW unit in the Altea but overall no real difference

2) The engine is MUCH more flexible as the power band on the VW unit was very narrow. I couldnt drive in 5th on the Altea at much less than 50 mph and even using 4th required you were doing at least 35 mph

3) I am getting better fuel consumption than I did with the Altea - overall 53-55 mpg as against 48-50

4) The ride is MUCH better than the Altea. The Altea had an extemely hard ride, to the extent that I had
to slow considerably on most rural roads to avoid my head hitting the roof.

5) Admittedly the Altea looks prettier but the B-Max is more comfortable to drive and has better accessibility which is more important. Frankly all cars are just tin boxes on wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts