Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed 63MPG with my 1.6TDCi Titanium on a recent drive from Carlisle to Newcastle on the A69!

Didn't go much over 65mph admittedly, but It was a smooth drive, and it appears the consumption is improving with a few miles, only 3000 on the clock thus far...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well that's good news. I guess they just forgot to tell us the run in time before the MPG figures are correct, is half the life of the car...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just done my weekly consumption check, and it was an unusual week in that I did a one day 160 miles trip as well as the usual 35ish per day, so around 280 miles this week. The consumption on my 1.4 petrol was just on 40mpg for the week.

Best yet, but I am becoming convinced that the engine management systems on new cars is controlling consumption etc. and holding it down for around the first 5K miles; which I just happen to have recently hit. It was the same with both the last two cars, an almost step improvement at 5K. Has anyone else come across this?

Geriatricus.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am approaching the 5k with my 1L Ecoboost, so will keep an eye on it. I am getting 40+ now, with mixed local driving, including a learner who keeps forgetting to change up and who has only just realised you can use 5th gear @ 40mph providing you don't accelerate or climb a hill lol.

EDIT: Big

Thought I better check exactly what the mileage was only to find it was now 5210! So, I did not notice any change at 5k

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm finding my mpg is better now after I've had the software update for the engine malfunction notice. I'm now getting 41 mpg in my 1.6 auto, was only getting 34 at the start.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A month ago, I did Worcester to Crewe (M5/M6) , speed a steady 65mph, mpg 40, outside temp 6 degrees. Return journey at same steady speed mpg was 47 but outside temp was 18 degrees.Is temperature significant or was it because when going north you go uphill lol.

Today with more miles on the clock I did 50mpg so it is improving - mine is 1.0 litre 100ps.

by the way fill up your car first thing in the morning or late at night when the air is cooler and the fuel is denser -- you get more mpg! Well technically anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bias has around 3500 miles on the clock. I achieve advanced driver on the Eco mode but still do not achieve the stated fuel mpg. Does this improve over time. Current mpg is around 40mpg depending on urban cycle

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just driven from Mid Wales to Luxembourg, with slight detours. 750 miles, current reading 70 m.p.g.20 litres of V Max Shell were put in at Crickhowell.

Tell me does the final reading of fuel consumption indicate an average since it was last reset ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks Gracow, should have realised that myself but was suffering from driver lag. Finished my journey south, 1124 miles at 67.4 m.p.g. Long delays around Luxembourg and the entry to the autobahn in Germany. Disel engine growls a bit over 80 m.p.h., may check my oil level in the morning !!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
12k miles, mixture of: full load; driver only; long haul; town work; aircon on max; convenience rules so cost not important means foot down whenever; 5th gear at 40mph in any conditions; recorded average = 39.6mpg. Quite possible that short haul outweighs long haul.

On long haul average mpg goes up and on short haul, never drops below 39.6 no matter how driven.

On full tank system says 360 miles possible. Petrol @ 127.7/L and 44.41L = 15.75p per mile at todays prices.

Unless towing should not get less mpg.

1L Ecoboost 1.25 petrol manual.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 13 plate 1.0L EcoBoost has just used up it's first full tank of fuel under my ownership (bought with 1500 on the clock), and has seemingly returned me 41mpg.

Not a bad figure considering I'm new to the engine type, and have completed lots of journeys on A roads, B roads, dual carriageway, town driving, and in traffic, along with various loads.

I may see if I can improve on this.

Just put in a ful tank of Esso Premium Unleaded, and dash display says I'm good for 407 miles - we shall see!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 1.6 Tdi and am pretty consistently averaging 54 mpg which is less than some owners are reporting. However the vehicle came fitted with a set of Continental Premium Contact tyres which are optimized for grip and use a rather soft compound. They seem to be wearing quite rapidly and when I replace them with low rolling resistance tyres I would expect at least another 5 mpg
For the record tyre fuel efficiency ratings go from A (best) to G (worst) and the Continental Premium Contactsare rated 'F' while the Eco Contacts have a 'B' rating

1 - 13 of 13 Posts