Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div style="text-align: center;">Interesting story on the BBC website about hacking the systems of modern cars.
<div style="text-align: center;">

<div style="text-align: center;">Thought it might be worth a read...

<div style="text-align: center;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23443215

·
Registered
213 Posts
Interesting story D_Z.
Presumably, we'll have to wait till after the Conference to see how they managed to get control of each of the vehicles stated.
I notice they don't say how, or where they connected their lead to in the vehicles.
Did they use the air system vents to bring the lead into the vehicle from the diagnostic connector under the bonnet??
Maybe they had a hole exposed under the dash to bring the lead through from the engine bay

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
They just plug in their unit in the same place your service agents plug in their equipment - inside the box below and right of the steering wheel. No need to open the bonnet or interfere with anything.

I have a diagnostic unit I use now and again out of curiosity. It can be controlled via Bluetooth, so, I am sure these people also used BT to control the car.

My unit is very small but even so, I cannot close the box when it is in place. Therefore any driver would be aware of something going on.

I am a member of a club whose members are able to control a quad-copter with a mobile phone via BT. So, if you know the software used (Linux?), then with a BT receiver connected into the ECU secretly, you could do similar. But, you must have the BT receiver in place, so, who is going to do that or allow that? Certainly not a thief.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
makem said:
I am a member of a club whose members are able to control a quad-copter with a mobile phone via BT
<div style="text-align: center;">Parrot??

<div style="text-align: center;">[TUBE]http://youtu.be/5fwjHO6VjWw[/TUBE]

<div style="text-align: center;">When I worked for a large office company, we raced these round the first floor at night... so much fun... if only the battery life was longer...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes, that's the one. These club boys use a mobile phone with tilt facility so can easily do a lot with it.

I am learning Linux to make a low power NAS using a Raspberry Pi for my wife and I to keep our data safe.

As you say, battery life is a problem, especially if you add a camera which would be fun peeking over the neighbours sunbathing in the nuddy lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts