Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi great car two year old titanium 120, 20.000 miles on the clock, battery dead one morning AA call out said could be a drain? aa very helpful. Repeated the process two days later. AA followed me to Bristol Street Motors West Brom they were great said the battery was wrong for the model and replaced it everything ok now, but is this a common fault. Not happy. Stopped taking my wife out for her birthday.
Any know the proper facts as this is not the sort of breakdown any one wants. Would like any info if possible.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Two battery related things that I have learned.1.
If your car is not locked DO NOT leave either key anywhere near it, as lots of systems will still be working. Leaving the car unlocked overnight is also likely to drain the battery
Be aware that a battery drain is a 'tow in' job. Any attempt to start with jump or a booster, is likely to upset the engine management system. My auto box would only work in 1st or reverse, even trying to use manual gear select. it was reset under Warranty, so that makes me think that Ford know it's a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for this. The car was locked and left for a complete day and night on my drive. Bristol street West Bromwich couldn`t find a fault with the cars electrics when they had it for the Tuesday/wednesday. Only the battery was flat and the wrong one for the model. The car had been in at Bristol Street Bham for three days for investigation on a clutch problem the week up to the weekend before my problem started after I had the car back that weekend. Find myself at a loss to find out the trouble.If anyone could advise. Cheers Rufus.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Rufus said:
Thank you for this. The car was locked and left for a complete day and night on my drive. Bristol street West Bromwich couldn`t find a fault with the cars electrics when they had it for the Tuesday/wednesday. Only the battery was flat and the wrong one for the model. The car had been in at Bristol Street Bham for three days for investigation on a clutch problem the week up to the weekend before my problem started after I had the car back that weekend. Find myself at a loss to find out the trouble.If anyone could advise. Cheers Rufus.

There is also a software update which deals with some of the battery drain issues.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Car is 2 yrs old, so still under warranty. Shouldn't cost you if you have the wrong battery fitted !

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have 2014 Titanium X Powershift. Having got over the Powershift problems (after the 12th visit) I am now concerned with battery charging/drain issues.Twice in recent weeks, I have been doing some roadside sign maintenance, with the tailgate open and the radio on for 10-15 minutes. Both times the battery was flat when I tried to restart and both times the warning given was Traction Control Fault. After using a booster pack to start, all was well.
My local Ford dealer said that using heater, lights and radio, when driving might have been slowly draining the battery, and my 15 minute stops were the final straw. If this is the case, surely, the electrical system is not fit for purpose?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do you have lots of short journeys?Have you also been using HFS and/or HRW?
Is stop/start switched on?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
How could the wrong battery be fitted to a two year old car? wasn't it the original?

·
Registered
264 Posts
pegleg said:
Do you have lots of short journeys?Have you also been using HFS and/or HRW?
Is stop/start switched on?
Yes I do have lots of short journeys.
HFS used once two weeks ago.
HRW also once two weeks ago.
I don't have Stop/Start if I have understood what you mean by that.

I got rid of a Mazda Diesel because it wasn't 'designed to be used where there were no motorways' and the DPF kept getting blocked. I hope that the Bmax isn't another car unsuited to short journeys!

·
Registered
161 Posts
yes, you're right. DPF is a right pain for short journeys.Anyway, I'm wondering if the combination of short journeys and cold temperatures are causing your battery problems. The starter motor uses a huge amount of current, perhaps 200 amps on a cold day; a short journey may not be enough for the alternator to replenish the battery. In warmer weather you may well be fine.

·
Registered
264 Posts
pegleg said:
yes, you're right. DPF is a right pain for short journeys.Anyway, I'm wondering if the combination of short journeys and cold temperatures are causing your battery problems. The starter motor uses a huge amount of current, perhaps 200 amps on a cold day; a short journey may not be enough for the alternator to replenish the battery. In warmer weather you may well be fine.
Surely a relatively new car should be able to cope with short journeys and cold weather. I appreciate what you say about 200amps to start but then a better charging system and battery is needed. It seems to be a boy trying to do a man's job.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I had to help a damsel in diatress last week. Flat battery and car wouldn't start. Turned the key and the blower was on max, HRW switched on and radio on.

Car hasn't been used for a couple of weeks and it's last trip was a 30 min ride with wipers, lights, blower, radio and HRW on for the whole trip.

I charged the battery and provided a short lesson in current and battery drain. All OK since.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's a law of physics. You can't take out what you don't put in. The alternator cannot dump a huge amount of charge into a battery in a short time.
You could of course , have something that is draining your battery. You'd need to measure the quiescent current after turning ign off for around an hour.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am a novice with the B-Max but had various other cars in my life,also heard a lot of stories about batterydrain.

One common fault is detached battery clamps,make sure they are tight on the poles,it is something which is often overlooked during faultfinding.

And,very true,driving short stretches during wintertime does not allow the battery to recharge fully.
That applies to all cars.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Newish batteries are in the main ok, but if your battery is a few years old and/or you do a lot of short journeys with high electrical load, it is a good idea to ocassionally trickle charge the battery overnight to keep it in good condition and extend its life.Edited by: cianpars

1 - 15 of 15 Posts