Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had problems with their battery on b max discharging, mine is two years old and for the past few days I have had trouble starting the car, sunday battery was dead, charged over night and next day dead as a doe doe. A chap from the aa said he has heard their is problems with the sync on b max and fiesta and for some reason if someone walks by the car with Bluetooth on it 'wakes the car up' and starts the battery discharging!!! any thoughts, I took it over to garage who basically charged the battery and said they couldn't find a problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not convinced by the AA explanation. If it's not done it for thetwo years before now then there is a fault. On an older car I would suggest the obvious such as the alternator not charging or a failed battery cell.

Spurious battery drains can be a pain to trace

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bit of a concern, as I have a year left on the warranty........love the car but been back and forth to the garage more with this car than any I have ever had

·
Registered
5 Posts
My brand new bmax titanium discharged overnight ,aa reported possible computer fault ,garage checked it over and discussed ,ford said they were aware of problem and working on a fix, they told garage to disconnect Bluetooth and auto lights, it appears ok but I want my Bluetooth back, suggestions plead

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha sounds like what happened with mine, garage just charged it up again but aa man told me it was a known fault with b max and fiesta and yes something to do with Bluetooth, said to turn my Bluetooth off every time I leave the car but if someone walks by with Bluetooth on their phone my car battery will start discharging.....still holding charge, so far.....but not a happy bunny

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bmax is 3 months old battery has discharged 3 times ,the first two times I connected a jump battery and away it went,the third time I could not get into the car so I had to use the emergency key tried to jump the car again but to no avail ,dash lights went bonkers,(and so was i ).took car to garage I was told that the boot catch was telling the computer that the boot lid was open and the boot light was on and it was discharging the boot was not open several faults were found,garage told me that ford were aware of a problem and that was it.
If any one has had this problem please post and if known what is fix.
Derek Edited by: derek.barbour

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re Kaygee entry. My 15 month old Titanium was running well until this morning. It had a flat battery. AA took 3 hours to come and tell me that, but were not prepared to comment or find out about possible bluetooth connection - or other likely cause.

It may be a coincidence, but I had, last night, for the first time ever, switched on bluetooth on my phone and computer to try and copy some photos. It found "sync" which I ignored. (I could not copy the photos either.)

Car now works. Thanks to this forum I will not be touching bluetooth again!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Terence, I suspect your car was trying to connect to your phone all night. Had you paired with it your car would have stopped searching.
I have used Sync and Bluetooth from day one with no issues

·
Registered
5 Posts
After numerous call to Ford and the dealer, I am told a FIx for the battery problem will be available in December. Really .

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
dagdave said:
Terence, I suspect your car was trying to connect to your phone all night. Had you paired with it your car would have stopped searching.
I have used Sync and Bluetooth from day one with no issues
Why would the car be trying to find the phone?

He was using BT to connect the phone to his computer to copy photos or have I miss-read his post?

Jus a thought I had since typing this - Is BT always on searching every BT available connection? I think it may be but only when the ingnition is on.

If his phone found 'sync' maybe he means as a possible previous connection rather than a current available connection assuming his ignition was off as he was using a computer, presumably indoors!

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
69 Posts
You are rightMakem, it shouldn't be trying to connect unless the pairing process was started in the car alsobut I think that may be the fault with the car. Somehow the phone being switched to Bluetooth and searching for devices to pair to triggered the car into action. It shouldn't, but it may have, is all I'm saying.
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Makem is correct - (I do not understand BT) - and I am not prepared to try it again - but it had been paired 15 months ago and not used since. I suspect that the phone just showed there had been a historic pairing.I had both my phone and computer looking for pairs. Reading other posts, I was considering whether one them had "woken up" the car's BT. I would love to try it again, but I need to use the car! I understand there are quite a few sudden flat batteries in cars made since May 14 - but mine was September 13.
Thank you for your interesting discussion. Terence

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
dagdave said:
You are rightMakem, it shouldn't be trying to connect unless the pairing process was started in the car alsobut I think that may be the fault with the car. Somehow the phone being switched to Bluetooth and searching for devices to pair to triggered the car into action. It shouldn't, but it may have, is all I'm saying.
Dave
So you think that even with the ignition off, sync BT still is on? If so, that means BT is on from when the vehicle is built. I doubt that and cannot think of a reason why it would be. Alternatively do you think BT is on permanently once you attempt a sync. Again, I doubt it.

There must be a fault which is exaserbated by the cold weather. Another thing to consider is the battery state. We have all been wondering how long the battery will last with the stop start system which must cause extra 'wear' on the battery perhaps gradually reducing it's recharge capability.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have been using Bluetooth and autolights since acquiring the vehicle in Febuary without any battery problems. With the ignition off the Bluetooth should not be enabled anyway. These issues are usually something as minor as a microswitch failing to turn off the boot light or glove box light. It doesnt take much to drain a battery over a few days.
Keith

·
Registered
136 Posts
There have been quite a few posts suggesting that the battery is inadequate when used with the stop start system in town. Interestingly the 1.6 TdI Titanium I bought does NOT have auto stop start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive just got a b.max titanium on the motability scheme... and find all the posts about battery discharging quite worrying as have Bluetooth although it has been paired with car, its been ok so far but there has been a lot of posts regarding flat or discharging batteries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined the forum looking for info on another issue and noticed this subject and would like to offer some input.
We bought our 2012 1.6 auto Zetec last June with 10,000 miles on the clock.
Loved the car and had no issues until the end of August. Then the battery light started to make the occasional appearance. Checked the fan belt and as the light never stayed on for long, never thought anything about it.
Coming into the autumn, the light was appearing more and more. Plus, we discovered that the heated window didn't work work when it was on.
A service was due and we asked them to check out the battery light.
The local Ford dealer decided that the battery was faulty and needed to be replaced. It was out of warranty, of course.
Sooo, wallet lighter by £120 off we went. Didn't fix it.
They tried a few things and were talking about replacing the wiring harness!
Turned out(they said) that the firmware in the ECU had to be upgraded with a new program from Ford.
This was mid October and, touch wood, no more problems. Oh, got our money back on the battery.
Never flattened the battery but might be worth mentioning. Sounds similar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased B-Max Titanium Powershift 8 weeks ago, bought dealers demo registered May 14.Recently had complete none start flat battery after standing only 4 days.
Ford Assist (AA) stated battery showed a fault but got me started. Took it back to Ford dealer Lincoln Friday afternoon but stated could not look at it until Monday...When collecting report showed 95% battery no fault and diagnostic did not show any problem.
Just wondered if the dealer did a software update from Ford but nothing was said ?

Edited by: Graham uk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts