Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a battery charger but noticed that it specified that it was unsuitable for vehicles with stop/start systems. To be honest I thought a battery charger was a battery charger and hadn't realised that some are not suitable for stop/start vehicles. Can anyone explain why this is and what is so different from a battery charging perspective?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The traditional lead acid battery can be charged such that the electrolyte will bubble or very close to it. This would be fatal for stop/start AGM battery which has very different charging requirements. For a stop/start battery a smart charger should be used.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pegleg. I thought either you or Gremlin might be able to answer. I think my trickle charger is about 30 years old. With a flat battery, it will charge at 4-5 amps then after around 12 hours it is down to about 1-2 amps.

It's the only charger I currently have and used it to charge my daughter's fiesta battery a couple of weeks ago. She has stop/start, so I hope I've not damaged it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If the battery was damaged, I think you would know by now!!
Despite probably ‘got away with it’ for now, try not to use the old lead acid charger on stop
start batteries.
Always be very careful with auto batteries, they are capable of drawing many hundreds of amps, let alone gassing.
I was always surprised that BMW packaged a battery under the rear seat on 5 Series at one time. Not for me!!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lucky for me Pegleg, I swapped the B Max for a Puma which has a seamless stip/start using the 48 volt hybrid battery and a belt drive, so the charger should be OK.

Sad to see the B Max go though as it gave me nearly 40k miles of trouble free motoring.

I usually end up charging my wife & kids batteries though, so the info is interesting, though worrying that I was unaware.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts