Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read comments from users over the past months can I ask a simple question.

Are you happy with the quality of the product?

Please answer Yes or No

My answer -NO

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi
Is there such a thing as a simple question? Or indeed a simple answer. The very best one can do is lay down a reasoned explanation for an opinion!

Our bmax is a smashing little piece of kit- no doubt about that but a quality item that is another storey,a R/R it is not nor can be at the price we mortals can afford. If you spend the cost of even the basic model then I suggest you have a lot of innovation for your cash,but if you go the top end way there is so many bells and whistles all put together by human beings who have to work to cash target,the chance of getting a 100% quality product is pretty slim. Try a Lexus and pay the price. I do feel asking a yes no opinion or marks out of,say 10,as a method of arriving at an opinion of such a complex piece of equipment is not living in the real world of cash value.

Now what is my opinion,well I just love my little Spitfire warts and all,but have a hankering after the new Citeron Picasso or indeed the Peugeot 3008 but do I hear the question of Quality hanging over these two? Well just buy the latest issue of any of Motoring Magizines and study the opinion of expert reviewers,drive yourself crazy making up your mind,close your eyes and buy with your heart,then enjoy your decision.
I watched one of the "How it is made" programes on TV the subject was a R/R. Ernie of lottery fame will need to be very kind to me,and if he were afraid I could not resist the lure of real quality,but then am sure a little niggle could be found however would take my chance.

Sorry for being long winded but amazing the doors a simple yes/no can open.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I wonder how many B Max cars have so far come off the production line ? There are 402 members in this forum, and probably no more than 12 of us are regular contributors; of which possibly at a guess six or seven have major problems that they want sorting out.

As for myself, I am nervously looking for issues with my BMax that I expect to occur every time I go out in the car, and my only discovery so far is an instance when I closed my rear nearside window it went back down again. BUT did I accidentally move my finger on to the other side of the switch to cause this ! I do not know. I did consider going to my dealer and telling them I had an intermittent fault with this window and getting the mechanism replaced as referred to in this forum, because I did not want window problems whilst driving abroad. But then I thought perhaps this was over reacting, it may well and probably was an operation error.

So on that basis, I have a B Max 1.6 diesel Titanium thatis approaching 4000 miles; it does 65 m.p.g. with ease and is a pleasure to drive. I feel sorry for you guys with niggles such as stop/start problems, reversing light inadequacy and other issues that will not immobilise your car and require a call out; but at the end of the day the only major worries as far as I am concerned relate to issues that result in a roadside breakdown; and I haveonly come across one incidentresulting in this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting replies.

As a Rolls Royce and Bentley engineer the question of what is quality was discussed very often. It is interesting to note the reference to RR and quality by Arm987.

So, what is quality?

Is it a Rolls/Bentley or a Peugeot?

Is it a Chesterfield chair or an Ikea chair?

A Rolex or Casio?

We considered the definition of quality as "does it meet the customers requirements" and if it does then that is all that matters and the customerwill besatisfied.

For myself , the Bmax concept is brilliant but these continuing niggling faults are a symptom of poor build control and when compared with a Fiesta the car does not meet my requirements.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had mine for 3 months now 1.6 diesel Titanium. Nothing has fell off, it is smooth, relatively quiet and comfortable. Everything I look for in a car.
John Wales - how do you get 65 mpg out of yours and you have only done 4000 miles, so presumably not a high mileage driver. I recently went on a mainly motorway trip with a little bit of A road. Round trip 250 miles. I religiously kept to 65mph (ish) and the trip computer showed 54.5. This was borne out when I filled up and I calculated 55mpg.

I am definitely not a heavy footed driver and try to change up when the computer suggests, never over rev and like to cruise around on a whiff of throttle with mpg being in the back of my mind.

Do you reckon it is worth checking it in for a check, still under warranty, local garage seem quite helpful?

AB

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine is just on 5000 miles- had it since the middle of May. I am pleased with it so far, now that it has bedded in, and I am more used to it. It drives well, is comfortable and is one of the few new cars I have had without paint faults :)

So yes it meets my requirements at the moment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Robert - paint faults are not so common these days due to advanced paint technology utilizing electro prime dipping, wax injection etc which reduce corrosion coming from the inside to the outside surfaces. Generally, the finished paint condition is now very good due to robotics which give a more uniform laydownthus making mottling and "orange peel" a thing of the past. The one area that Ford have issues with is matching colour coded composite plastic components with metal areas - silver being more problematic to match. Having said all that this problem is not confined solely to Ford, it is an inherent problem in paint technology.

The main issues on paint occur if the car has had a repair carried out on it prior to delivery either in factory, or by the dealer, or by the delivery company - not uncommon events. I had a new Focus Ghia which had a complete side repaired and resprayed. Fortunately I detected it within 30 mins of delivery and made the dealer replace the car. They denied all knowledge of the damage needless to say.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes I understand what you mean. Before I retired, the job I had required me to get a new car every 12 or 18 months because of the mileage I was covering,we had an 'arrangement' with the local Ford dealer that when the car got to 20000 miles we would get top book price and discount via our 'firm' so it was a fairly good deal for us. Several cars had to go back in for paint faults like foreign objects in the paint. orange peel, missed bits etc. Things seemed to get better from about 1988, but we were then on lease cars which did not get looked after the same.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Robert

Yes, you are correct in your thinking, circa 1988 is a significant period. That was about the time paint technology was really changing. At Rolls Royce we were introducing electro prime (full immersion) and were moving away from thermo plastic acrylics to two pack technology. Things have advanced even more now with the advent water based paints.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts