Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My B-Max is a 2013 Titanium 1.0.

The driver's side of the heated front screen has stopped working - no problem with the passenger side.

The manual indicates that there are two 40w fuses (numbers 8 & 9) in the engine compartment fuse box - thus my working hypothesis is that each half of the windscreen has its own fuse.

First problem - these high wattage fuses are of a type which I have not seen before. Second problem - in an attempt to save .0001p on the cost of manufacture, Ford has not supplied a fuse puller for the standard mini fuses, let alone for the larger ones.

So, can anyone offer any advice on (a) where to buy these high-wattage fuses, and (b) how to remove the old ones?

TIA,

David

·
Registered
311 Posts
I assume you have checked to see if it's actually a blown fuse. Stating the obvious I know, but if the fault lies elsewhere,
if you change a fuse it will blow again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the links, milkyman - I will check out ebay.

Thanks also to Hadrian1 for your comment. In the days when fuses were 5p each, replacing the fuse was a pretty cheap way to test out your theory - but not so much these days, perhaps....

I am not sure what else should be checked - it's clearly not the dashboard switch or indicator light, as the passenger side works perfectly. It can't be the windscreen itself, as there is no damage to the filaments in the glass.

Would you possibly have any suggestions as to what else could be wrong?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The connections to the screen maybe. The usual remedy is a new screen. It seems to be a common fault on Ford heated screens, I had mine changed under warranty.
It was probably known about when I bought it from the dealer, but by getting it done in my warranty period, they didn't have to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
When the battery gets low, the system will only heat one side of the screen. Maybe worth charging the battery and checking whether the whole screen demists. If the battery is fairly old it may need replacing, but if yoy do a lot of short journeys, it may need an occasional overnight trickle charge, especially in cold weather.

Reactions: Davidsb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the responses. I have ordered a fuse puller thingy as suggested by milkyman - my current strategy is to swap over the two 40w J Case fuse cartridges, and see if the fault switches from the driver's side to the passenger's side.

I'm definitely trying to avoid a new windscreen - unless I can get one on the insurance.....

;¬)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thanks again for the responses. I have ordered a fuse puller thingy as suggested by milkyman - my current strategy is to swap over the two 40w J Case fuse cartridges, and see if the fault switches from the driver's side to the passenger's side.

I'm definitely trying to avoid a new windscreen - unless I can get one on the insurance.....

;¬)
Can't be hard to accidentally crack it 😀

Reactions: Davidsb

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

;¬)
Can't be hard to accidentally crack it :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
As suggested, I doubt you'd get the screen changed on your insurance, unless it was cracked.
Even then, they may not do a heated one on the screen insurance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, Gates told me when I got my screen replaced to check insurance cover, as many policies limit screen cost to £400 or £500. They charge just over a £1000 to supply and fit (outsourced) a B heated screen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts