Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought a 65 plate B Max from new ,but I'm having problems selecting reverse gear.It appears to be an intermittent problem,not just me also my wife.It shows on dash that the reverse sensors are in gear.,Anybody else having this sort of problem,cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a shame because the box has a very smooth change,but I'm concerned that damage may occur on this reverse gear .There is only 7300 on the clock,not even run in yet.Will post after seeing Ford Dealer ,cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ha the dreaded reverse selecting, I first came across this in 2006 when I first started using Fiestas.First thing I did when I noticed there was no lifting clip etc ( my car must go into reverse at least thirty times a day on average) was to read the handbook.
Fords advice was to pull the gear over to the right and wait a couple of seconds before selecting reverse. It always seems to work for me and I am on my sixth Fiesta, and so far the same method works on the B-Max.

Cheers John

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not a major problem for me, just need to ensure that reverse is properly engaged. It only happens occasiobally anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 Fiesta (same gearbox I think) sometimes jumps out of gear when reversing. I suspect it wakes my neighbours up. I think the trick is to engage reverse, then put in back in neutral, then engage reverse again. I've never had it jump out after I've done that.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I did get the feeling that when my Fiesta occasionally jumped out of reverse that I may perhaps did not properly engage it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi my BMax has spent the day at dealership went back to collect it ,to be told no fault found.So the guy comes out to show me how to obtain reverse gear ,very good of him ,since I've only driven for the last 40 years including PCV..Four times he tried to engage reverse gear,4 times he failed.So my B Max is currently waiting at the dealership to have the gearbox dropped,new it wasn't just my driving.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Reverse gear is not synchromesh which is why it can be difficult to engage. There are several methods which help; one is to double declutch while in neutral. The method I found which works best is to select 4th then reverse with the clutch fully depressed. Takes a bit of getting used to as 4th and reverse are close together, but it works every time on my car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts