Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've just been in to my local Ford dealership to check on my order for my new B-Max and it seems I've got it ordered just in time!

The dealer says that production of the B-Max stops this September (2017) and there is no mark 2 coming.

Really sad news. I've lived these cars since launch but only got my first in November 2016. When I saw the range had been 'streamlined' and up-specc'd I had a feeling that Ford might be killing the model off. That's why I got my order in asap.

What am I getting? Titanium Navigator in blazer blue with the light medium stone interior,
convenience pack, rear camera pack, heated seats and Active City Stop. I would have preferred Deep Impact Blue but that would have meant I couldn't have the stone interior.

I'm also looking to do a factory visit to Craiova. I've been in touch with Ford Romania and they are happy for that to happen. Just got to sort out the details now.

Sorry that my first post if the year is bad news, folks. But on the bright side, it means all our cars will become rare and fabulous!

Andy

Reactions: chass

Registered
That is a surprise - hope it doesn't affect re-sale values (not that i'm intending to sell, mind !)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read a few articles recently saying that sales have dropped off badly. Pus Ford need to rein in costs so they writers have suggested the B being stopped and it's Romanian plant might close.

Interestingly, my Ford dealer said the Ecosport is being facelifted and I think that is also built in Romania now

Registered
I am not surprised, B max sales have been dropping in Europe over the past couple of years, (40.5 K last year) the new Fiesta which hits the showrooms this year is slightly larger, meaning the shared floorpan would only be required for the B. Max, so I think there was always a possibilty of some sort of change.

I had heard that there would be a slightly enlarged body on one of the Fiesta models which would make it similar to the B Max, (have a look at the new Fiesta Active and the base model is there already).

Also Ford seem to want to push the SUV's these days, so maybe that is the way forward.

There is one bright side, you can usually get a very good deal when a model is discontinued, I am waiting for the new Fiesta to hit the showrooms then I will chase up one of the last ones of the current model. (did it with the last model change in 2008/9 and saved 拢1700 )

Cheers John

Registered
Ford build a brilliant car like the B-Max then do not seem to know how to market it, they were the same with Fusion another brilliant car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are so right about discounts.

My main dealer honoured the discount I could get from an online broker. It saved me 拢4000 off the price. Basically, that covers the 20% VAT I would lose when I drive it off the forecourt.

Total price for vehicle before the discount and with the options is roughly 拢20200. I'm paying 拢16119. Also, I'm taking the Ford Options Cashplan. They don't shout about this scheme because it doesn't make them money. I'm putting my old B in as part ex for 拢5600 plus 拢3800 cash then pay NOTHING for 2 years. Then I pay the rest off.

When I say nothing, I mean it. No payments and 0% interest.

Registered
I see nothing regarding any change related to B-MAX. I find instead about the preparation for the production of EcoSport in the same factory, sometime during autumn. So Ford adds 190 robots; that's all I see these days in local press: https://www.google.ro/search?site=&source=hp&ei=0uy_WNeQKqKF6AS3i7nICw&q=ford+romania+2017+eco+sport+190+roboti&oq=ford+romania+2017+eco+sport+190+roboti&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..33i21k1j33i160k1l2.851.20021.0.20432.39.38.0.1.1.0.425.5184.4j32j0j1j1.38.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..0.36.4895.3..0j5j41j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j30i10k1.YBnId9mbTa8

Andystarks, I presume you already saw these: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oDMsB-zfj28 ?!? :-?Edited by: vdragoslav

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the YouTube link, I'll watch it properly later.

I'm only going on what my Ford main dealership has told me regarding the B being discontinued. I know the Ecosport will be built in Romania and is being facekifted now.

The Fiesta Active mentioned earlier in the thread is a jacked up Fiesta. The body shell and platform are the same size as the new 2017 Fiesta but the access will be easier due to a raised ride height.

It's a shame they are stopping the B. Imagine a mk2 B-Max with the fascia and infotainment system from the new 2017 Fiesta - that would be cool

Registered
That's a shame, I was thinking of replacing my Fiesta with one in the next year or so. I want a Fiesta-sized car, but with more interior space and easier access for elderly relatives. I also liked the way the B-Max didn't pretend to be an SUV.

I wonder if this is an oportunity for an end-of-line bargain, or will dealers be refusing to discount because of the scarcity?

Registered
vdragoslav said:
I see nothing regarding any change related to B-MAX. I find instead about the preparation for the production of EcoSport in the same factory, sometime during autumn. So Ford adds 190 robots; that's all I see these days in local press: https://www.google.ro/search?site=&source=hp&ei=0uy_WNeQKqKF6AS3i7nICw&q=ford+romania+2017+eco+sport+190+roboti&oq=ford+romania+2017+eco+sport+190+roboti&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..33i21k1j33i160k1l2.851.20021.0.20432.39.38.0.1.1.0.425.5184.4j32j0j1j1.38.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..0.36.4895.3..0j5j41j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j30i10k1.YBnId9mbTa8

Andystarks, I presume you already saw these: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oDMsB-zfj28 ?!? :-?
Presumably 190 more robots means 190 unemployed Romanians. How many work at that plant?

Registered
EagerDinosaur said:
That's a shame, I was thinking of replacing my Fiesta with one in the next year or so. I want a Fiesta-sized car, but with more interior space and easier access for elderly relatives. I also liked the way the B-Max didn't pretend to be an SUV.

I wonder if this is an oportunity for an end-of-line bargain, or will dealers be refusing to discount because of the scarcity?
I replaced my Fiesta with a B Max for similar reasons. The mk 8 Fiesta was Ok, but I loved the great handling characteristics of the mk 9, even though it was a lower spec Zetec. Had the B Max 2 months and I love it. It gets better every day, though being taller, it doesnt handle quite so well as the Fiesta.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I mentioned above, I got 20% discount on my order for a Titanium B-Max.

It's worth asking your main dealer as the online brokers offer that much off too

Registered
andystarks said:
I've read a few articles recently saying that sales have dropped off badly. Pus Ford need to rein in costs so they writers have suggested the B being stopped and it's Romanian plant might close.

Interestingly, my Ford dealer said the Ecosport is being facelifted and I think that is also built in Romania now

No dealer can access such info. But if it's a... feeling, the dealer may be inspired!?..! Or not. ;)

As I already cited many sources (actually there's only one: Ford), the factory it's getting even bigger until September, when it's supposed the production of the EcoSport will begin at Craiova plant.

As I wrote in "Ford increasing B-MAX production" topic, "according to a local newspaper, Ford has around 2668 employees, nearly 1000 less than in 2010:
http://www.gazetademotru.ro/2017/02/17/ford-craiova-angajeaza-aproximativ-1000-de-persoane-in-2017/and is lookin for 975 more these days.

So how can someone "guess" that the plant is going to close?..? :-?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I spoke to my dealer they had been to a training session and been shown the new Ecosport and, he says, told the B-Max would stop September.

I can only repeat what I have been told

Registered
Okay, I understand! I just don't (want to) believe the B-MAX will not be produced any more so soon!..
Will see if the reality will match these words!?.. :-?
The plant' s capacity is for 300000 B-MAXes; they build just around 40000...

I never saw an advertisment on any Romanian television channel; did you, in the U. K.? :-?Edited by: vdragoslav

Registered
It makes sense to scrap the B Max if they are buildind a taller and higher off the ground model on the Fiesta platform. Also, surprisingly to me, the B Max has not sold too well, but that is because it is too expensive for its market.

Ford could have made a fortune if they priced the B Max lower considering that it is built in a low labour cost country.

Registered
The cheapest B-MAX someone can buy is in Romania. I read about this and now I can testify it is true: TITANIUM with transparent roof, Diesel, "just" 15461 euros IS cheaper than on other markets, right?!?
I agree that if it would have been around 13000 "it would have been sold as fresh bread"! :>
Ford ADDS 190 robots in a plant that already is underutilized. Does this make sense?..? :-?Edited by: vdragoslav

Registered
Those are seven axis expensive robots. ;)

So the B-MAXes that are built use the seventh part of factory's capacity.
Don't you think the EcoSport would just fit there with (small) adjustments?.. :>

Registered
That's interesting, I've not read anything about Ford stopping B-Max production but it doesn't surprise me.

The Ecosport is not exactly doing great either so I would be surprised if the move to Romania helps at all. I guess unless they have completely re-engineered the car from the ground up which I don't think they have done.

Registered
B-MAX production is stopping and the Ecosport will be built in the plant in place of the current B-MAX. More and more people (us included tbh) are buying small crossover type cars, which I guess is impacting on B-MAX sales. Shame, as the B-MAX is a great car, but with a revised Fiesta and the Ecosport, it's difficult to see a large market for a B-MAX.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts