Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had this costly experience? I have been told that it should not happen at such a low mileage on a car just over 4 years old.

Advice welcome. With Regards, Laharna

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have added that our Ford B-Max has a petrol engine and is automatic. Regards, Laharna

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think this is unusual for this engine. Did you have any problems ? Overheating ? Coolant loss ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you for your reply. The garage said that the water pump was malfunctioning, which they replaced, but warned us to 'keep an eye on the engine.' It then transpired that when the car was taken back into the garage, they said it was the cylinder head gasket. Between the water pump, gasket and 'skimming,' the cost is likely to be in the range of £1,500. What would Ford's reaction be to the cylinder head gasket failure? Regards from Latharna.
APOLOGIES FOR ERROR. NOT WATER PUMP BUT THERMOSTAT MALFUNCTIONING. SEE CORRECTED VERSION BELOW - LAHARNA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you for your reply. The garage said that the thermostat was malfunctioning, which they replaced, but warned us to 'keep an eye on the engine.' It then transpired that when the car was taken back into the garage, they said the engine had overheated and damaged the cylinder head gasket. Between the thermostat, gasket and 'skimming,' the cost is likely to be in the range of £1,500. What would Ford's reaction be to the cylinder head gasket failure? Regards from Latharna.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I meant that the thermostat went and was replaced, not the water pump.
if the thermostat failed in the closed position, then that would make the engine overheat.

ford will not want to know anything about it since it has already had 3rd party repairs

have you just bought the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if the thermostat failed in the closed position, then that would make the engine overheat.

ford will not want to know anything about it since it has already had 3rd party repairs

have you just bought the car?
Yes, we were told that the thermostat failed in the closed position. We bought the car new. Do you mean that the replacement of the thermostat and the subsequent diagnosis of cylinder head gasket failure precludes any appeal to Ford? Is this therefore the garage's responsibility? Thank you for your post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just had the cylinder head gasket replaced at a cost of £1,200. But after a drive, when the engine is switched off, there is still a noise that lasts for about a minute or so. Is this a normal sign, the engine cooling down, or does it require a revisit to the garage? Regards, Laharna

·
Registered
712 Posts
That'll be the radiator cooling fan probably. Have a look, but keep your fingers from it !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That'll be the radiator cooling fan probably. Have a look, but keep your fingers from it !
Thank you for this advice. The garage tells me they have found oil in the coolant. They thought they had flushed it all out when they replaced the cylinder head gasket, but wonder if some oil was left in the system. One of the alternatives, they warn, is that the cylinder head gasket could have gone again. Regards, Laharna.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm surprised the garage didn't skim the cylinder head when they had the chance to do it.
Especially as an overheating engine can easily warp the head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm surprised the garage didn't skim the cylinder head when they had the chance to do it.
Dear Wiggy, Yes, they did skim it. Regards, Laharna

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dear Wiggy, Yes, they did skim it. Regards, Laharna
The garage informs me that they have fitted a new oil cooler, after the engine started overheating following their installation of a new cylinder head gasket for which I paid £1,200. The crucial question is: was this initially a misdiagnosis on their part? Should they have looked at the oil cooler for the initial problem and changed that instead of fitting the new cylinder head gasket? I shall be grateful for advice. Regards, Latharna.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Regarding the above problems with my Ford B-Max automatic with 40,000 miles on the clock, I want to set out the steps that have led me to the present position today, when the water level in the coolant container is again falling.

1. Engine continues to run after ignition is switched off.
2. Garage says that there is oil in the water, and that the thermostat has failed, which they replace at a cost of £250
3. Problems as in 1 above continue.
4. Garage says that the cylinder head gasket needs replacing, which they do at cost of £1,300.
5. Problems as 1 recur.
6. Garage believes it is the oil cooler, which they replace, free of charge.
7. Problems as 1 recur, with level in water coolant falling.
Perhaps someone can assist me with the following questions:
Is there yet another reason overlooked by the garage that is causing the water coolant level to fall below the safe level?
If so, should this have been investigated initially before the garage embarked on this costly (£1,500) series of changes of parts?
If other parts require to be fitted, is this the garage's liability?

I will be most grateful for any guidance, since my age and health prohibit a protracted dispute with the garage while I am still virtually locked down in the Covid-19 epidemic?

With Grateful Thanks and Best Wishes,
Laharna

1 - 16 of 16 Posts