Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, have just taken possession of my new Ford which has replaced a 62 plate Hyundai ix20, and an 07 plate Fiat Sedici. Although I will miss the winter versatility of the 4 wd Sedici, I am hoping that the fitting of premium winter tyres in November will keep me mobile.
I never expected this car to achieve anything near the 70 m.p.g. average that Ford claimed; the ix20 failed dismally in these claims. However, on my 'bring the car home ' journey last Saturday, I was very surprised to watch the average gradually increase through the 40 ' s and into the 50 's. As always I used the right foot with gentle application, but that does not mean I did not go over 30 m.p.h. With little use of the brake, and careful approaches to hills, I completed most of the journey ( through rural Wales ) at 45 m.p.h. to 50 m.p.h., with occasional spurts of 62 m.p.h. By the time I had reached home my computer had recorded a very respectable 67.6 m.p.g. Two days of one mile jogs to the local shops, and post office knocked it back to 65 m.p.g., but this afternoon I did a 12 mile journey which has restored it to 67 m.p.g.

I may be lucky in as much my car is one of the more economic ones off the production line, and no doubt when I get it on the motorway more sobering figures will emerge; but what I am saying is that in the right conditions Fords claims are realistic; unlike those of Hyundai.

I like the sliding rear doors, the easy to operate radio, and the clear instructions for setting up and using Bluetooth. Automatic operation of the folding door mirrors is useful, and of course when winter comes the heated windscreen is a bonus that makes me wonder why other manufacturers have not realised.

Will up date on this forum in due course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How is your mpg after 6 months? I have the same model as you and struggle to get more than 55 mpg (and often get 50).That said, I'm going by the trip computer, and not by the amount I've put in the tank.
Like you, I try to be lightfooted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have got bmax in August i have had a few problems with the fuel 36.12 mpg but my car petrol and is automatic. I had a vauxhall that was good on fuel . I have had it in garaged twice the computer had to be reprogrammed once and the back door did not lock

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Paul, only just seen your post. Yes after 6 months and 8000 miles no problems, and I am still getting around the 65 m.p.g. mark. This includes U.K. and continental motorways, and some very challenging roads in Mid Wales. It has to be said of course, for every hill you have to climb, there is one to descend, and 50 m.p.h. is a normal safe maximum in this part of Wales. However, I do feel you should be getting better than 55 m.p.g. Check out the brakes by stopping the car on a very slight incline and see if she rolls; you may have a binding problem, put 3 or 4 pounds p.s.i. in the tyres, and see if that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you i have had that done yesterday at the dealers they think it could be that i will let you now tomorrow as i am going from Woking where i live to central London i will the true performance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have the same model <h1>B Max 1.6TDCI Titanium (June 2013)</h1>Its now done 11,000 miles, I cover 300 miles per week, computer is saying average 58mpg, a full tank cost £60 and will do 550 miles with 50 left in the tank. What I have found when having a full tank is the trip to empty says 440 miles. I thought this would alter over time, but hasn't, I got this car in beginning of March 2014from Ford Direct to save £8k from new. Also have trouble with the phone (Nokia Windows) my previous car was a Focus 1.6 petrol Zetec from new 2012 (42 mpg), it worked fine in that. It worked ok in the Bmax, but started to disconnect itself recently and now the voice control button wont work. Also get knocking noise from rear doors when going over speed bumps slowly and sometimes when turning into another road. Also wind noise even with the windows open.The car handles well, I had a new Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in 2009 (46 mpg) and a much better drive than the Focus, this lead me to go for the BMAX and Diesel option to save fuel costs.
Has anyone got the same issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
my car was in the garage wednesday as the phone keep dropping i was told it was the BlackBerry that was doing it. I was the iphone was the best one to use on it so i got an iphone on friday it is the 4s lets see how it goes. The knocking from the back i have not got but i do get the kangaroos from the car when i pulling away at time my car is an automatic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts