Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Bought a new B max 1.0 125 manual in March this year. To date it has under 2k miles. Recently I have noticed an odd noise coming from somewhere in the transmission area. It is noticeable mostly when moving off and changing between first and second gear up or down. I can only describe it as a sort of whiney/wheezy sound that corresponds in volume with the engine speeds.Up until 1500 miles it had no such noise but now it seems some kind of fault is developing in the clutch/gearbox. Previous to this car I had Fiesta with the same engine and manual gearbox and had no such problem.

I know that many are plagued with auto boxes on this model but I cannot find anything much in the way of problems with the manual transmission.

Can anyone let me know of having any experience of this problem.
Edited by: jondav

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The noise you are hearing could just be the whine of the turbo. I get a whining noise whenever the missus is in the passenger seat :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both replies. Much appreciated.

Yes, I get it with the Warranty. At this stage I was just interested in comments from anyone else who has experienced similar.

As regards turbo noise - very interesting comment. Although it has only appeared recently it could be an indication it's the turbo getting noisier as it's related to engine speed and
acceleration under load. Possible signs of early turbo failure ?

Otherwise I'm finding the B max a far more comfortable and spacious car than the Fiesta, as good as it is. The B max should be outselling them not the other way round. Well worth the extra money.

Has anyone had a turbo failure, and if so, what preceded it ?

My 'navigators' problem in not knowing left from right!

Edited by: jondav

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A whine is normal and would not suggest turbo failure. All turbos whine a bit. I dont recall any turbo failures on this engine, particularly the latest versions.

I feel the same about the b max and fiesta and equally enjoy the extra room and comfort plus those sliding doors.

I do miss the handling of the mk7 fiesta though and my wife moans about the extra body roll.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hope you are referring to the cars body roll.
If you adopt the old way of driving a turbo car you can't go far wrong. When you start up wait a few seconds for oil to circulate before driving off. Especially after a long hard drive let the engine idle for a bit for it to cool down before switching off. Don't forget regular oil changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your contribution.

Auto stop/start overides the 'old way'. Unless of course you remember to switch it off every time on start up which rather defeats the object of having it in the first place. Ford surely designed the engine around the stop/start feature which means the turbo never has any 'cooling down time' as the driver cannot delay the engine stopping as soon as the vehicle is stationary in neutral. I cannot recollect seeing anything in the handbook that reccomends letting the engine run on as you mention.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you have the aircon on or not? I found mine makes a whining noise in 1st with the a/c i have the ecoboost 100. Switch off a/c and noise is gone i find

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's interesting. Will check it out.

Is your noise steady or does it rise and fall corresponding with engine speed ? It's not a loud noise, more of a background one, probably something that might not be noticed by some.

Other than this it's the most enjoyable car I've had for a long time. The pillarless body design and sliding doors are a great feature. So roomy it's hard to believe it's a Fiesta based car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
cianpars said:
A whine is normal and would not suggest turbo failure. All turbos whine a bit. I dont recall any turbo failures on this engine, particularly the latest versions.

I feel the same about the b max and fiesta and equally enjoy the extra room and comfort plus those sliding doors.

I do miss the handling of the mk7 fiesta though and my wife moans about the extra body roll.

Interesting to note your comment about the body roll, cianpars. Having moved from an 07 Focus to a 13 plate B Max, one of the first things I noticed was body roll, something I never experienced in my Focus, even with 80k on the clock.

Doesn't spoil the driving experience, but took me aback nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think it needs stiffer suspension, but the body roll is the price i pay for having a taller car. Expected really.

Did love the way the fiesta stuck to the roads though in all conditions and around any bend.

Getting to drive one soon around castle combe circuit. Really looking forward to that.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
120 Posts
Aye, in my limited experience you could never accuse Ford of getting the overall driving experience wrong. Their high falutin, double clutch, all singin' and dancin' automatic transmissions may be made of cheese, but when everything IS working, modern Fords are a joy to drive.

Enjoy Castle Combe!

·
Registered
315 Posts
What is "body roll" I have never experienced it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Its something you get going round bends unless you drive like a granny:)

A taller car will lean a little more due to its higher centre of gravity.

Very noticable if you go around roundabouts quickly or have to swerve to avoid something.

You may not norice it so much if you mainly drive in town below 30mph.

Something else is that you will feel crosswinds more on motorways compared to a low profile vehicle.

Strangely, my wife feels it more than i do.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
712 Posts
Never bothers me either ... maybe because I drive like a granny, especially round roundabouts. Your tyres will last longer !

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My fiesta had 20k on the clock when i replaced it. Still on original tyres and the fronts probably had at least another 5 or 6k in them and the rears were hardly worn.

Wonder how many miles i will get from the b max tyres. I will rotate them on this car.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine is on 21000 now, front tyres will need replacing soon (maybe another couple of thousand), rears are fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts