Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all

Just taken delivery of a 3 year old B Max for my mum, she previously had
a Scenic for 12 years and was so pleased but it wasn't viable to hold onto any
longer. Although after 2 days we are pleased, I have already noticed this
shuddering in the auto gearbox when you pull away (as people have said
previously predominantly in 1st and 2nd gear).

I so wish I had googled before we purchased the car, hindsight and all
that! Reviews I have heard previously in years gone by was that Ford's auto was
good, obviously this updated version has not been a good replacement!

Any advice or the best way forwards would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Phil. I have the automatic B-Max powerdrive 1.6 Titanium X, 18 months old now. I don't have much trouble with the gearbox although I have noticed that if I'm a little heavy on the accelerator from start, I do get a little shudder from the car. Likewise, when I pull up to reverse up my drive, if I select reverse and try the manoeuvre quickly, boot down hardish, I get the shudder, or beginnings of one. I have learned that a tender touch on the pedal keeps the shudder away. I feel th

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hiagain Phil

Sorry about my previous reply, it was unfinished, I posted the full text but only part appeared in the reply.

What should have followed was :- I feel that the gears are slow to sync or mesh properly before load is applied to them. If I try to pull away quickly with hardish acceleration, a judder starts on occasions, also if I try to select reverse too quickly when trying to reverse up my drive and use a fair bit of acceleration, an incipient judder can begin. Taking things relatively easy with light acceleration seems to do the trick. This, of course is not what we owners should have to put up with, adjusting our driving techniques to overcome a Ford gearbox problem. Ford have a responsibility to produce a gearbox which is "fit for purpose", the B-max automatic box appears not to be so.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just make sure that you have registered the fault with your Ford dealer to ensure that you GearBox/Clutch Warranty is extended to 5 years and I suggest that you start the repair/investigation procedure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
number6 said:
Just make sure that you have registered the fault with your Ford dealer to ensure that you GearBox/Clutch Warranty is extended to 5 years and I suggest that you start the repair/investigation procedure.
I have recently joined the B Max juddering transmission club. The car is on a 13 plate and is under 10K. have been through stage 1 the software update and now the car goes to the main dealer for a week! Does anyone have any information as to whether the current "fix" offers a permanent solution or just temporary respite

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine went in yesterday for the 'final' stage of fix. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have just purchased a ford b max automatic, it judders, was waiting in traffic, it judders, same problem when pulling away too, what's the solution, it's a semi auto but won't be making use of that option, I only have. 3 month warranty as I bought it used, 62 plate, just 15,600 on the clock, does anyone know if it gets worse if you just leave it? Many thanks, karen

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome Karen, I believe Ford have extended the guarantee on the auto gearboxes to five years, see all the posts, and contact a Ford dealer as soon as possible.

Edited by: jackkook

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, I am contacting the ford dealer where I got it, it was 140 miles away though, hope they send me free of charge to my local one?! Will mention this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too am suffering on-going problems with my 2013 BMax PowerShift and the standard warranty expires i a couple of weeks. The car is going back for a third time today due the juddering problems and I hope they'll fix the defective heated front screen as well. We bought this car second hand with 14000 miles on the clock and it has never driven smoothly since 16000 miles even after the two software upgrades. Not the best car to buy as one retires. My wife refuses to drive it on her own! And she's a good driver but has absolutely no confidence in it. I have had to buy her another car in the meantime!

I had not been aware that Ford has extended the warranty to five years. I have nothing in writing about this but will enquire at the Ford dealership service desk today. I read one article on the web that has offered what I've found to be a temporary fix - if you are able to find a quiet long road where you can floor the car and accelerate through all the gears and then coast to a stop (Do this 5 times) then yo will have re-educated this crazy gearbox and the clutch judder will have gone away - well at least for a while. I tried this about three times and never got the car to maximum speed or able to coast to a full stop (even at 3 am due to living in the busy south east where there's traffic at all times) and it does work for a couple of hundred miles in my case. Not Ford approved, but I don't care any more. No more Fords for me - ever! I owned more reliable Morris Minors when I was a student! The Ford garage doing the 'repairs' offered me £5k in p/x for a Fiesta as they dispose of the BMax automatics through a local auction site (obviously not wanting to put 3-year old BMax automatics on their forecourt as they know better than anyone what problems they are - the garage is actually owned by Fords). I can get £6500 from the web sites or p/x for Skoda or Toyota where I will be going next!

I will be writing to Auto Express magazine. They included this issue, but on a Fiesta, a few weeks ago. But moaning out loud may not work. I will also be consulting trading standards and maybe then a solicitor with a typed up history of this fault. An additional problem is that my purchase contract is with a non-franchised dealer who was not interested in doing anything when the problem arose as the car was under Ford warranty.

I'll try to remember to post something once I see how I get on with my visit to 'Trust Ford' today (yes, that is actually what Ford have renamed their own dealerships nationally).

I will use their courtesy car to drive around to the Toyota garage this afternoon...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I hope you get a satifactory response today Alan, let us all know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've only paid £500 deposit on a B-Max with 2.5 k. Having second thoughts now... Hope this car is alright 'cos I won't be a happy man if I have gearbox troubles. The more I'm sitting here writing this the more I feel I should go back and really try out this car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear Scrooge please do not buy it you are buying a lemon,if you really need an automatic buy with a torque converter box in the car proven technology.I speak from personal experience regards a powershift bmax.The car is gone thankfully and so has the sorry that went with it.Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts