Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my B Max 11 days ago. The car was built in June of 2013. So far everything is great, however, it appears that I do have have the capability of selecting "Auto Lamps". My light switch has no "Auto" position. The driver's manual shows that it should be after the headlight position. Maybe this was a change made to the updated models. Does anyone out there, that has a recently built B Max, have this type of switch? Is anyone familiar with this problem? If so, would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
637 Posts
<div style="text-align: center;">

<div style="text-align: center;">I leave mine set to automatic, there is a lamp icon with "(A)" inside to it , on the headlight controller. Thats where I leave it. See below: -

<div style="text-align: center;">1.6 Automatic - Titanium

Edited by: Davis_Zadian

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DZ. However, my problem is a lamp icon with "(A)" inside to it on the headlight controller. My controller only allows me to select...Off, Parking or Headlamps. I am wondering if this was a change of controllers.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would refer to the Ford ETIS site, enter your VIN number and then look to see if the automatic headlights was a feature that was installed at the build point of your car.

Were you expecting automatic headlights?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, however, I had assumed they were standard as they were not listed as an option. I will check Ford ETIS. Thanks again for your assistance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DZ, Automatic headlamps are listed as installed. It appears to me they just installed the wrong controller. So I will get back to the dealer and get that corrected. Should be no problem as all the necessary wiring should be there. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What is meant by 'automatic headlights'?

Do you refer to the round 'knob' to the right and below the steering wheel which controls which lights are on?

I thought all versions on the B-MAX had this 'knob' and I would be surprised is the 'knob' had the 'auto' icon if auto was not installed. So, it should be easy to see if auto is or is not installed.

The 'controller' will be a standard fitment before it leaves the factory so I doubt if the wrong one could be fitted. Anyway, probably the controller is in software rather than a separately fitable item.

Be interesting to know the answer

EDIT: should have read the whole thread lol

Perhaps my comment is irrelevant

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My controller is different from DZ's as you can see in the image below. There is no automatic position on mine, therefore, no way to select automatic with the controller. I have also gone through the computer's "Vehicle" menu and there are no sub-menus for "Lighting". There is a "Lighting" sub-menu in the main menu under "Display", but that is for instrument lighting. The only solution I can see is replacing the present controller with one that supports automatic headlights.

This is my current controller.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmmmm, I am no expert in these things, but my reading of the brochure suggests auto headlights are only standard on the titanium.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Getting ready to contact my dealer. I am going to send him a copy of my Etis report. The salesman seemed to be unaware that these reports are available to the customer. Mine says:
<div align="center">With Auto Headlamps

With Conventional Headlamp Control

<div align="left">I am not sure what "

With Conventional Headlamp Control" means, however I don't think they would install automatic headlamps and then install a controller that could not use them.

My B Max is the German "Individual" model which is the equivalent to the British Titanium. I do not anticipate any problems with the dealer as I have been a long time customer. Will keep the forum informed of my progress.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know - but in my head the (A) stands for "Always on" becaus in my Titanic the head and tail light always will be turn on if i should use (A).

I use (0) (what I do) then theres only light in the diode in head, and if the light fade in the night (ore park in my garage) - the lights will turn on AUTOMATIC.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Interesting, I wonder if they are differently switched (or labelled) in Denmark. The way it works over here is the following: -

When I want the car to control the lights, I switch to the icon 'A within the lightbulb' (second picture), all I get is the daytime running lights (the thin strip of LED's in the shape of eyebrows)... then as it gets darker setting (B - seen above) will engage on its own and the main headlamps will come on automatically.

If I want to control the lights manually then I use the left picture and switch between the 3 positions manually.

Edited by: Davis_Zadian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi DZ

Yes this is od - I have to se what is printet in my book - but I use A all time, and if I think its to dark outside in the daytime(and the lights not turn on)- I turn til C. This morning I drow to work(in sunshine) I tried to switch to Automatic/Allwaysand then there was light head and back - and that was not nessesary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There might be a difference as Scandinavian countries have long had a requirement for DRL (Daytime Running Lights). This is now required by EU regulations for new vehicles.http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp#European_Union

My understanding of the auto lights is the same as DZ. AUTO will manage what lights are illuminated based on outside light level, unless I want to over ride that and use one of the other settings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello B-Max owners!
I live in Denmark and drive a Danish Titanium-model.

My lights Works as explained by D_Z, so I don't think there are special Scandinavian rules. I think the light rules are more or less EU-rules.

And to Walther:
I always drive with the switch in position "A" (Automatic), and on my car this happens:
<ul style="margin-right: 0px;" dir="ltr"><ul>[*]In daylight there is LED-lights in front and no rear lights. [*]In night (or dimmer light) there is "normal" head- and rear lights (also in my garage
)[*]You can watch the green light symbol in the instrument cluster, when the "normal" lights are on. It turns out, when there are sufficient sunlight.[*]I have noticed, that especially in mornings and evenings, when there is plenty of light, it often happens, that the "normal" lights are on.[/list][/list]Enjoy the summer with regards from Svend in Denmark.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Svend
Thanks - ill try it tommorow - this evening i drow with 0 and i dident turn on as it dó when i drive in my garage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts